• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

20 Years of ownership

This week (plus or minus a few days) marks 20 years since I flew to Houston from Corpus and drove home in Lucille!

Over the thanksgiving weekend I was bidding on her through e-bay, and due to a hiccup with what might have been dial up access, was not able to increase my offer at the end of the auction. A few days later I got an e-mail from the seller that the winning bidder backed out and they offered me the car. I jumped at the chance, and a day or so later hopped a flight and was home later that night.

I always say she is my reward for my first 10 years of hard work after college and I will give to my daughter when she graduates from college. I have never regretted my decision, and on 2 occasions has been my daily driver / only car.

Miner

Wonderful story. I can appreciate the long-term ownership experience. Don't miss the dial up lol..imagine having to read Xrays from a digital camera on a stick with dial up.....blabblapbeepsheaeaeaeaeaaae

Congrats! Yes selling such high priced cars privately or on ebay is difficult. There is so much that can go wrong in the process and the buyer always has the option to back out.

How many miles did you put on it after 20 years?

Congrats! Yes selling such high priced cars privately or on ebay is difficult. There is so much that can go wrong in the process and the buyer always has the option to back out.

How many miles did you put on it after 20 years?

Yes. Not to mention that the internet was a bit different 20 years ago. I don’t know if the winning bidder was legitimate (and backed out for genuine concerns) or was a scammer. Or somewhere in between. I got a good, not perfect car, at a fair price at the time.

I have driven it at least 50,000 miles, maybe more. I don’t drive it as much as I’d like now, but with a commute of 85 miles round trip, the miles would add up quickly if I drove to work, not to mention Southern California traffic.

Miner

Wonderful story. I can appreciate the long-term ownership experience. Don't miss the dial up lol..imagine having to read Xrays from a digital camera on a stick with dial up.....blabblapbeepsheaeaeaeaeaaae

The good old days of dial up! When I moved to corpus my neighborhood had fiber run to my curb, but of course it got me nothing as that last 100’ to my house was 10 years away.

Almost identical stories of ownership...bought mine on August 26th, 2000 and that was 10 years after I graduated college as well. I've put a few more miles on the car (bought with 59K, now has 167K) but it has been the "daily" for a while as well. But never my only car...either had the truck to pull the boat or the E39 M5 to keep the NSX company...

What is the longest road trip you have ever taken in the your NSX?

[MENTION=11324]Miner[/MENTION] My longest was back in the 2000/2001 time frame...one Virginia Beach to San Diego and back in late 2000. Then a Virginia Beach to San Francisco in the spring of 2001 and then back from San Francisco in December 2001. Route back went via Phoenix to have Mark Basch rebuild my transmission with JDM short gears and type-r final drive. Left my car in San Francisco with my Best Man when I deployed on USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65)...

Since I've retired from the Navy, we ended up in Monument Colorado (between Colorado Springs and Denver on I-25...by the US Air Force Academy) and that has placed me "centrally located" for NSXPOs...2018 saw round trip to San Francisco via I-80....2019 saw round trip to Washington DC via I-70/I-64 where I detoured to Knoxville so I could drive the Foothills Parkway and The Tail of the Dragon followed by a detour in Norfolk/Virginia Beach to see friends on the carriers in Norfolk.

Car is a great highway car for a small two-seater...not the "autobahn cruiser" that my 01 E39 M5 is...but the NSX is WAY cooler!!!!Cars in the driveway - flipped.jpg

Last edited:
Nice drives. It is a great driving and comfortable car on a long haul, but it is a bit small. Best long drive car I have ever been in was a late 90s Toyota Avalon. It was like sitting on a couch for 10 hours. Even my dog loved stretching out across the back seat!

Almost identical stories of ownership...bought mine on August 26th, 2000 and that was 10 years after I graduated college as well. I've put a few more miles on the car (bought with 59K, now has 167K) but it has been the "daily" for a while as well. But never my only car...either had the truck to pull the boat or the E39 M5 to keep the NSX company...

My story is not from yours as well, drove 18 hours from Utah to Oklahoma with a check based on a couple pictures.. Purchased my 91 Blk/Ivory November 2001 with 57,698 and still enjoying it today at 89k miles. Never kept a car car longer than a year before I bought it.

Back