• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$2000 For Rotor Replacement

My brakes are causing my car to shimmy. I was told that my rotors are warped. I have Brembo Gran Turismos on my 99 NSX. I received a quote from a local tunning shop. To use existing hardware and rebuild them would be $2000. If I wanted to have my rotors pre-assemled would be $2700. How much should my front end brake job cost? I'm new to NSX Prime. Any advice you all can give will be extremely helpful. Thanks. :confused:

That seems very excessive, I would suggest you call Brembo to determine the material cost, here is their number:

I don't have brembo brakes on my nsx, but I just replaced my stock rotors 3 weeks ago... $200 in rotors + $200 in labor for all (4) corners... I also used Advance brake pads, at $450 for the set, but OEM pads are roughly $200 for F/R.

Good luck, I don't remember the brembo big brake replacement rotors on my BMW Z3 as costing that much (perhaps half)

The Brembo discs are approximately $250.00 ea corner to replace. The hardware kits (the fasteners that secure the disc to the hub are around $40.00 ea corner to replace.

I would expect there to be about 2 hours to remove and replace the rotors and 1 hour each corner to disassemble and reassemble the disc.

take care,
-- Chris

Your rotors are probably not warped. They probably have uneven deposits of brake pad material on the surface, which are causing the vibration. There are various ways to deal with this - either clearing off the surface (with sandpaper or track pads or by turning the pads) and re-bedding the pads, or by replacing the rotors - and this can be avoided in the future by bedding the pads any time you change the rotors or pads.

For more information, read these sections on the Stoptech website:

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
Pad and Rotor Bed-In Theory, Definitions and Procedures
Removal of Uneven Pad Deposits From Rotors Using Aggressive Friction Compounds

As Chris notes, this shouldn't cost anywhere near $2000. Maybe around $1000. I suggest not taking it to a tuning shop. Turning or replacing the rotors can be done by any competent mechanic (independent or dealer), and it does not have to be someone with NSX experience.

Last edited:
Chris just quoted $1160 in parts, and 12 hours in labor, for the job :confused:
According to the original post, the problem is only in front and not in the rear. This is typically the case with brake vibrations.

His estimate is $580 for the two rotors and hardware, and four hours labor (two for R&R of the pair of rotors, two for assembling each of them). I suppose this could hit $1000; I'll edit my post.

The folks over at Foreign Affair (Santa Clara, CA.) were able to re-surface my rotors and repair a tire for $488 total. (VS the $2000 initial estimate)These guys know what they are doing. Thanks guys.

Wow thats a lot of dough....thank goodness we have Jon Martin down here.

Wow thats a lot of dough....
Not necessarily. I'm not familiar with those calipers but it's quite possible they take a lot longer to remove and re-install than the stock ones. Foreign Affair is generally NOT going to cost more than Cerritos Acura, where Jon is.

Dave, now that your rotors have been turned, make sure you bed your brake pads according to the procedures in the links provided in my previous post, to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Back