• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2001 spa yellow paint match

I just had the 2002 rear upgrade done to my car.I am very happy with the look. However I am a little dissappointed in the color match. I have a 2001 spa yellow which is of course metallic.From certain angles the color is a match from others it is slightly off.(darker) Is this usual or should I freak out on the body shop.They had my roof to compare through the paint process to help for an exact match.Is there such a thing as an exact match for this color? :confused:

musclesmarinara said:
I just had the 2002 rear upgrade done to my car.I am very happy with the look. However I am a little dissappointed in the color match. I have a 2001 spa yellow which is of course metallic.From certain angles the color is a match from others it is slightly off.(darker) Is this usual or should I freak out on the body shop.They had my roof to compare through the paint process to help for an exact match.Is there such a thing as an exact match for this color? :confused:

Most likely your spa yellow is a tri-color. Meaning base/clear system with a pearl/metallic to flip. This is the hardest thing for a autobody shop to do. But remember, your paying good money and it's their job. I had a audi A4 w/ pearl white paint. ...had to repaint rear bumper. The bodyshop did it 3 times and it was still a little off - I know it wasn't a lack of trying as I use to work for them. I vowed never to get a tri-colored car again. It's just not possible to get it 100%

But that being said, it shouldn't be off like night and day. In daylight the color should match. Just in the shadow or shade when looked from a angle and the tones flip, it should be a little off. Hope this helps.

musclesmarinara said:
Is there such a thing as an exact match for this color?
Sure there is. But getting an exact match, particularly on the first try, is one of the things that differentiates a really top-notch body shop perfectionist, like Vince's, from the other 90+ percent of the body shops around. Which is why I recommended that you take it to Vince's. I bet you took it elsewhere... am I right?

My experience owning a Spa Yellow S2000 and my ownership experience of an S2000 in general lends plenty of credence to the idea that color matching Spa Yellow Pearl is extremely, and I mean extremely difficult.

It can be done and I've seen it done right but it takes a really good body shop to get it right. As I recall, the "flex agents" used in the bumpers vs. the "standard" paint on the aluminum (hood or bonnet to our UK friends in the case of the S2K) makes it really hard to match other body panels.

I think tri-color is easier to get a color match than base/clear.
The task is getting the correct base. Most just don't see what color they need and then don't tint correctly.
I just did a 05' tri coat Cadillac red pearl today. My painter threw his hands up saying the formula was wrong. I took over, used his paint and got it nailed on my first tint of the base. I told him to put two coats of mid coat and it was dead nuts. Panel to panel awesome at every angle.

Color flop on the pearls or metallics is tough on a valance and seldom matches on NSX's from the factory. Even the Gods get it wrong sometimes.
Want to see some color flop? Look at a new Accord from the front. The hood on all of the metallics never match the fenders because of the flop. It's the angle of reflection from the point of observation, not the color, just like on your valance.
I'd explain this more but got to pick my son up from rehearsal.
BTW, flex agent has nothing to do with the color.

Back