• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 Silverstone. Flying out to pick it up PDQ.

Just bought it. Having it wrapped in xpel and will fly stateside Saturday to pick it up. I've actually never sat in one and haven't even seen one in a long long time. There's a longish story behind why I have been wanting one that I won't bore you with but the short version is that I had been lurking around in the background here for a while looking for the right car.

Thought I had found it in an absolutely stunning Rio '05 that another member here owned and loved and thought seriously about selling but really didn't want to part with it. I corresponded with another member here that has a beautiful '05 Silverstone that has been seriously considering selling as well but he too loved his car and wasn't totally stoked about putting it in some other guy's garage.

I understand how that can be and in the process of figuring out how long I wanted to wait I ran across a pristine '04 with really REALLY low miles, clean title, zero mods, perfectly straight, numbers match, no paint work, clean carfax, clean nada report, yada yada yada.

I jumped on it.

I'd like to say thanks to those that have taken the time to share info and perspective. Your comments have allowed me to surmise that for me the NSX is the finest sports car money can buy, maintain and insure as a package.

I damn sure hope I fit. I don't shop at the big and tall so I'm holding my breath that it'll be like sliding into a glove.

I thought a bunch about how to handle the transaction personally. Do I have it picked up and carted here? Do I do my best to keep the mileage as absolutely low as possible forever? The correct answer for me was 'hell no... treat is like it deserves but enjoy it all the same'. I'm going to kick that off right quick by flying down stateside, picking it up in the midwest and driving it to the East Coast. I've got a couple meetings to attend there and then I'll point it in the other direction and head for WA.

Think I might take the long way.

Think I might bring a radar detector, too.

Thanks again to all. I'll be missing for a few days but I'll be having a gas.

813684277_4YqoF-M.jpg

813684211_tCFBY-M.jpg

Congrats and enjoy the drive! I was giddy when I first took mines out too.

Thanks all... and I ain't much for giddy anymore but this might just do it.

I forgot to mention the mileage earlier. This car has 2341 miles on the clock.

Wow nice. Have fun on the road trip and maybe get it clear bra'd if it doesn't have it already.

Thanks, Max. Having it wrapped in the full xpel.com kit. Headlights too. We'll see how that works out. Matching silverstone for paint chips would probably not be a cake walk.

Once I've got 'er settled into my garage I want to find a way to highlight the car so it doesn't blend quite as much as it appears to now. Maybe a set of red bride seats and some wheels w/ red nuts or similar. Haven't really thought about it but the goal will be understated, accented and sharp. I'll have plenty of time to think about it between now and the time it'll actually get to my place. If any of you have suggestions I'm all ears.

very excited and happy for you.

where is the car located at? what is your planned route back?

ahh bought the one from Isringhausen, good for you. I talked to them on the phone about the car and think this car is beautiful.

good luck with it

I like the idea of red seats - but red wheels???? Subtle is best with a classic like the NSX. My 2 cents. Check out the NSX Rs on a posted video on the thread about painting tops black or body color. Great stuff on the interior of those cars. They both have stock wheels. I think you car will stand out just like it is . Remember there are so damn few of these late model guys that they will always stand out no matter what!

You are lucky to find such a car - now you can realize the beauty of someone else "saving" the car for YOU!!!! Drive the poo out of it - seriously the fun of owning a car -imho- is driving it unless it is a 1 of 26 special Ferraris that should be in an art museum - your NSX is not that - again imho.

I've always thought that a red interior if the color red is right looks great in a silver car! Just don't paint the dash red.....:eek:

Have fun on your drive and leave a big gap between you and the guy in front of you to save the road chips - I did that and I don't believe I got one chip in mine on a drive from Houston to Nashville and then home. It's easy to do. Have fun, be safe and try not to get any tickets - choose your spots well and let her rip!

We're all happy for ya! Welcome to your new family! :wink:

Nice find! It is basically a new car.
You will be providing the engine break-in on that car.
enjoy!

Nice find! It is basically a new car.
You will be providing the engine break-in on that car.
enjoy!

Wow. I hadn't considered that. I'll give 'er a little special attention and thanks for the reminder. Odd how that might be even a consideration on a six or seven year old vehicle. Cool, too.

No red wheels, Tim... noooooo. I agree, that would be bad. Think small. Sort of a "the closer you get / the more you notice" sort of a detail. Red lug nuts, or a cap with red writing on it. Just thinking red as it's the one color you could pick up from the tail lights without introducing another color altogether. I suppose the amber lens color would be an option to. Much to think about there but definitely don't want to overstate anything. Very minor accent.

Red seats in a silver or white car = WINNER! :)

Red lugs = WINNER!

Red wheels = ARGH no way man...haha ROFL

wait so let me get this straight, you bought the car in midwest (Chicago area) plan to drive it to the East coast, then flip around and drive it west all the way to Alaska?? HOLY MOLY....:eek::eek: that's like 2 oil changes worth of miles to a pristine car.....yikes :frown:

Wow. I hadn't considered that. I'll give 'er a little special attention and thanks for the reminder. Odd how that might be even a consideration on a six or seven year old vehicle. Cool, too.

No red wheels, Tim... noooooo. I agree, that would be bad. Think small. Sort of a "the closer you get / the more you notice" sort of a detail. Red lug nuts, or a cap with red writing on it. Just thinking red as it's the one color you could pick up from the tail lights without introducing another color altogether. I suppose the amber lens color would be an option to. Much to think about there but definitely don't want to overstate anything. Very minor accent.

I was just watching a youtube film with Tsuchiya and some other guy racing around in the Rs in Japan and someone said that these cars really feel better after 50 kilometers on the dial. So you've got a little breaking in to do. More than this trip will provide. I was also reading about the break in process - some adhere to the idea and I can follow the logic of breaking it in fast as in high revs so the rings seat more evenly. Actually makes sense so there's no chance for slow revs to produce uneven scoring in the cylinders. Anyway - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Great looking car - happy trails and I'm glad you're thinking subtle on the wheel area - good!!! I'm sure what ever you come up with will be nice! :wink:

We'll all be expecting a full report on your trip home! I love an adventure - take the long way home - you won't get another chance when it will be so new and so much fun! The car will sho nuf take it in its ease! You've got tons of free miles man enjoy them. Most here have started out way beyond that! Lucky you!

Last edited:
Red seats in a silver or white car = WINNER! :)

Red lugs = WINNER!

Red wheels = ARGH no way man...haha ROFL

wait so let me get this straight, you bought the car in midwest (Chicago area) plan to drive it to the East coast, then flip around and drive it west all the way to Alaska?? HOLY MOLY....:eek::eek: that's like 2 oil changes worth of miles to a pristine car.....yikes :frown:

Not all the way for sure. I'll put it on a steamship in WA.

Route isn't sorted yet and I still haven't got a handle on meetings I'm supposed to be at, etc. Short version though is that I'll pick it up in Springfield and then drive to SC for a few meetings and then the route back hasn't been set yet but will probably include meeting my wife at an airport somewhere and going wherever she wants to go that's in the general direction.

Somewhere in that mix there will definitely be an oil change. No clue where.

I was just watching a youtube film with Tsuchiya and some other guy racing around in the Rs in Japan and someone said that these cars really feel better after 50 kilometers on the dial. So you've got a little breaking in to do.

50 kliks is only 30 miles so somebody got that part squared away long ago. I've been a fan of running a few heat cycles through the engine fairly quickly so that the whole thing's done and done right by the time the crosshatching's gone but that's all been decided too so a little gentle time is probably the best bet.

She'll get it.

50 kliks is only 30 miles so somebody got that part squared away long ago. I've been a fan of running a few heat cycles through the engine fairly quickly so that the whole thing's done and done right by the time the crosshatching's gone but that's all been decided too so a little gentle time is probably the best bet.

She'll get it.

I guess I meant 50,000 kilometers - sorry.

How you can you buy a car and have never even sat in one?

thats like buying a Rifle to go shooting at the range and you forgot you dont have Arms/hands.

I am sure you will love it but come-on you never sat in one? even at a show? but made the purchase anyway?

Seems weird to me

Have fun though im just jealous! LOL

thats like buying a Rifle to go shooting at the range and you forgot you dont have Arms/hands.

Ummm this is an apples to oranges analogy:confused: He can still drive the car and has driven a car...not the same as not being able to shoot a rifle...in any case it's not like he's going to be dissappointed. :biggrin:

As for engine break in...read this thread:wink:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133405

Make you think twice about babying it on the way home although the reaility is it's probably already broken in, if you believe everything in the thread. Things that make you go hmmm...

Ummm this is an apples to oranges analogy:confused: He can still drive the car and has driven a car...not the same as not being able to shoot a rifle...in any case it's not like he's going to be dissappointed. :biggrin:

As for engine break in...read this thread:wink:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133405

Make you think twice about babying it on the way home although the reaility is it's probably already broken in, if you believe everything in the thread. Things that make you go hmmm...

That's the thread I read - exactly - good advice - glad you found that for Legion, Clr1024.... So drive the poo out of it.:biggrin: At least you know you're not going to hurt it if you take it on up in the revs - heck most tell you to take it easy for the first 600 miles anyway - from what I remember of this thread the "damage" is already done at 2400 miles. Or not depending on how it was broken in. Porsche guys have said "drive it like you stole it" for years.

I am sure you will love it but come-on you never sat in one? even at a show? but made the purchase anyway?

Seems weird to me

I bought my NSX sight unseen having never sat in nor driven one either. It's an exhilarating thing to do. :biggrin:

I did the exact same thing! I never sat in a NSX until I flew from Phoenix to L.A. last year to pay for mine. I drove it home and had a blast! Have bought a second one since then!

Seems weird to me

Welcome and congrats!

I did the exact same thing! I never sat in a NSX until I flew from Phoenix to L.A. last year to pay for mine. I drove it home and had a blast! Have bought a second one since then!

:biggrin: Subscribed to Legion thread "ownership!".

I sat in one before purchase/never even drove one 'cause there were no specimens around here to drive. Well, I barely even fit into it (headroom). It was yellow/yellow 2002 and I thought then I could NEVER do that color combo. Now I know I could very well appreciate yellow-yellow!

I had never seen Imola Orange in person. I had never driven a six speed transmission. Talk about apprehensive. :eek:

So Legion, cannot wait to read your posts detailing your road trip of a lifetime!!!!!!!!! Also visit nsxtasy's postings about long-road-dog-trip NSX tire wear. You may be well served by planning some new skins before loading your booty in WA for shipment. Happy Trails and Best Regards!

Awesome! Plan a stop in MN on your way back west.

Saw it on Autotrader.

Have fun on your roadtrip from IL. How much did they come off the asking price?

Back