• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2013 Detroit Auto Show

no I meant Mitch taking shots from the show with his own greasy palms....

I'm really liking how the design has evolved so far. The only question is whether it will be more fun to drive than the original NSX. Too bad we have to wait two years to find out. :(

I have to agree on the trunk. I love my trunk. Put golf clubs in it today no problem. This is something you cannot do in any modern sports car like the r8, gallardo, F458-355. They should keep the trunk the same dimensions or make it slightly bigger.

The corvette trunk is amazing.

any pics comparing 2012 autoshow vs 2013 Auto Show?

To all you whiners, it's OK to buy something else, keep your current NSX, or upgrade to a newer one. :wink:

This car is already ahead of everything else out there by 10 years. Let's see how Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini will do since none of them had hybrid experiences. Imagine the new Porsche hybrid car only best the new NSX slightly but 8x the price simply because they used CF chassis, remove that, the car will not be anymore remarkable than any of the current offering.

Took these companies 10 or so years after the original NSX just to figure out they should use Aluminum chassis and Ti Con rods, and some sorts of variable valve timing wasn't even in play for Ferrari until they hired ex Honda F1 engineers for the F355. Sure they have done stuff to surpass the NSX 1.0, but the evolution took a lot longer than everyone have anticipated for the European companies.

I have a feeling that Honda is doing the hybrid format so they can survive the super car market not as a competitor, but bureaucratic red tapes and blocks. It will be the first true high performance car for the new era when everyone tree huggers want sportscars banned.

The corvette trunk is amazing.
Front engine buddy. Everything I have read so far is that this car is compact, low, and relatively short. It will be the first true purposely built Honda super car - To go fast without having to worry about distractions such as cup holders, golf clubs, etc.

Last edited:
wow, they all ready have 8000+ miles on it and it does not even have a powertrain ;)

DashNSX_zpsa2ed7798.jpg

To all you whiners, it's OK to buy something else, keep your current NSX, or upgrade to a newer one. :wink:

Front engine buddy. Everything I have read so far is that this car is compact, low, and relatively short. It will be the first true purposely built Honda super car - To go fast without having to worry about distractions such as cup holders, golf clubs, etc.

True, but for a great dd supercar you need a useable trunk IMO.

This car is already ahead of everything else out there by 10 years. Let's see how Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini will do since none of them had hybrid experiences. Imagine the new Porsche hybrid car only best the new NSX slightly but 8x the price simply because they used CF chassis, remove that, the car will not be anymore remarkable than any of the current offering.

Took these companies 10 or so years after the original NSX just to figure out they should use Aluminum chassis and Ti Con rods, and some sorts of variable valve timing wasn't even in play for Ferrari until they hired ex Honda F1 engineers for the F355. Sure they have done stuff to surpass the NSX 1.0, but the evolution took a lot longer than everyone have anticipated for the European companies.

I have a feeling that Honda is doing the hybrid format so they can survive the super car market not as a competitor, but bureaucratic red tapes and blocks. It will be the first true high performance car for the new era when everyone tree huggers want sportscars banned.

All of the above makes sense to me......

I was at the NY Auto show last year, of course saw the concept in person, as close as I was able to get to it. Overall it was striking but yet the design left much to be desired and in my opinion, the beak killed the whole deal for me, despite many styling features which I thought were very well done. Not enough though, to pull it all together for a home run.

Reviewing some of the pictures I took and now comparing with the current iteration, I like it much, much better, chiefly for the substantial and subtle differences to the front end. The beak has noticeably been modified with the tapering of the upper "chromed" portion framing the grill which kind of almost eliminates the beaky look, particularly with the lower framed portion now the same color as the grill, giving the entire front grill opening a uniform blacked-out look. The same for the front and rear vent openings, the frames of which have been tapered as well.

Other noticeable differences are the horizontal insert strip midline in both tail lamps, now having a slightly "serrated" edging; the narrowed trunk opening, eliminating the cut line in the rear pillars; a more cantelevered rear side window aft of the widow pillar; the "smoothing" of the hood creases [perhaps more blended because of the black color of the car?]. It is coming together now and I must confess I like it! The interior is very well done.

If it doesn't "age out" in the two-year time frame, this could be a winner.

Last edited:
Here is a video I just found. It's longer than what was presented during the debut of concept version 2.0.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h7kggtq3ooc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let's see how Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini will do since none of them had hybrid experiences.
Porsche has the Cayenne and Panamera hybrids plus racing experience.

I've realized that having this car be a hybrid is probably the only way Acura can sell a car in the $125-150k(?) range. Think of all the Hollywood stars and their Priuses - they'll eat this up because it's a hybrid, and so will other self-proclaimed "forward-thinking" people. I really don't think the HSV would have sold well at all.
I like the two "real" gauges next to the screen. Just a screen by itself seems a little too "videogamey" to me.
any pics comparing 2012 autoshow vs 2013 Auto Show?
I really want to see these. It looks to me like they just changed the front grille, wheels, and taillights, but I know there are probably some subtle changes elsewhere that I'm not seeing. Did they say anything about dimensions? They gave them out for last year's model.
Anyone else see the recent specs?? 0-60 in 3 seconds, 480 hp...$130,000. 3100 lbs. Any truth? Hmm
Source?

The hybrid system in the porsche is basically from VW, yes they are the same company but they're new to the game and is not Porsche exclusive, as Honda is on it's 6th, going on 7th generation of IMA, while approaching the new NSX's new system through R&D of RLX. If they're waiting for two more years before production, that system will probably be on gen 2.

As I have indicated, I got a 2012 CRZ as my daily, the 2013 already have a HP increase due to better battery technology. Two years is still long ways ahead to do something more spectacular.

I think once the RLX is out, we'll have a better picture.

I'm still waiting for the word on the engine to see if they're doing DHOC or not. I hope they do!

If I ever have one, I will make sure it look either way:

Oscar

I agree and think you're on the right track. Still not feeling the fascia nor the wheels...can't some aspects of auto design stay simple so that other parts can shine? I'm tired of often feeling chased by an angry electric razor insect in my rear view mirror.

electric-shaver-robotic-sculpture-insect.jpg

I think something along these lines would be mighty nice - a less dramatic fascia and super classy timeless-looking wheels, to let the overall design sing!

I am surprised that many likes this car and most likes the interior.

It is a formula different from the Gen 1. I wonder if many likes this because it is new and different. I question if Gen 2 will have the timelessness that Gen 1 has.

I'll provide some counter points:

Interior is flashy with contrasting colors, angles, and materials. I'm not convinced this design has staying power and doesn't appear as functional as the original. That huge center console dampens the open feel of our current cars. The top of the dash board lacks texture and the center display isn't elegantly integrated into the console. Where are all my buttons and knobs? I don't want to go thru a menu to execute a command. This not an iphone on wheels, this is a sports car where commands need to be readily accessed with minimal fuss and with eyes on the road. Dedicated Buttons and knobs does that and gives drivers tactile feedback. The interior is still early in development. I know they will clean it up before launch.

Instrument panel reminds me of the flat S2000 display with different graphics and the addition of 2 analog gauges. I'm sure this will be updated.

DSG is faster, Manual trans is more engaging. Give us a choice or it may be a deal breaker.

This is no longer the lean NSX formula that it was. The hybrid is fine. It has a place in today's market. But it lacks purity and adds weight. Yea, you can offset it by weight reduction, but you are still at least 200 lbs heavier than one without it. New NSX is a different car. To each its own.

I prefer, naturally aspirated, high revving, light weight and no more than 400 hp. Power was never what the NSX is about. ITO is chasing Gusto and glory with the 500 Hp car, much like Fukui was with his V10 bloat mobile.

The car's specification will likely result in a price tag quite a few notches above the $90K of the previous. Because of Acura's marque, the higher the price tag, the lower the volume. They are not Tier 1 manufacturer. The are limited buyers willing to shell out over $125K unless it has some European name plate on it.

Sources indicate the NSX will have some form of turbo to compensate because the car was a hog once it ran out of battery juice on a track with limited or short brake zones for regen. This is short sighted on Honda part. Us primers knew this and were discussing this back in 2003. Back then, most of us agreed that a hybrid would haul dead weight around within a few laps. It is now 10 years later, and Honda sources are now confirming that. As a response to that problem, they are adding a turbo. This seems either very short sighted or just not having clear vision on the direction of the NSX when the project was launched. The source also said the goals of the car was changed. Originally around 400 Hp, now up to 500Hp.

Beak, flat front end with big gaping opening, and likely no trunk. All bad. Yea, everyone is doing the big mouth openings. Group think! Ugly is ugly. They were all doing fins back in the 50s. Pedstrian safety is an excuse. Porsches and Ferraris still have slim and low front ends.

Storage space in the front will be not much is any. Where do you think the 2 electric motors in the front are going to reside?

Flying Buttress - Good luck with access to the engine. One will have to be on top of the rear fender to access the engine bay for maintenance, unless you have cables and pulleys to hoist yourself over the car.

New NSX is flamboyant, a product of the designer's youth. Not convinced if the styling will be timeless.

Perhaps the mini-NSX will maintain some of the purity (no hybrid) of the Gen 1 and also keep the power on tap. For the Honda bean counters, they could still carry over the 6 speed manual trans to the mini-NSX.

Who's your source because this is the first time I have ever heard of a turbo being used in an NSX.

Maybe you just don't like the direction Acura is heading with this car. If that is the case just stay with your current NSX and upgrade it to your wants.The times have changed and the car has to change in relation to that. It can't be the same looking car (I chuckled when I saw the photoshop of a 91 front end on the concept car lol) they they made 20 years ago with a little more power with a lightweight chassis, The industry will laugh at them for lack of effort. BTW Honda did do exactly what you are talking about with the HSC concept and almost nobody was pleased with it at the time. Even on this forum it was not really liked. Now that everyone is seeing the Hybrids and V10 concepts the HSC all of a sudden was a great concept :rolleyes:

I am surprised that many likes this car and most likes the interior.

It is a formula different from the Gen 1. I wonder if many likes this because it is new and different. I question if Gen 2 will have the timelessness that Gen 1 has.

I'll provide some counter points:

Interior is flashy with contrasting colors, angles, and materials. I'm not convinced this design has staying power and doesn't appear as functional as the original. That huge center console dampens the open feel of our current cars. The top of the dash board lacks texture and the center display isn't elegantly integrated into the console. Where are all my buttons and knobs? I don't want to go thru a menu to execute a command. This not an iphone on wheels, this is a sports car where commands need to be readily accessed with minimal fuss and with eyes on the road. Dedicated Buttons and knobs does that and gives drivers tactile feedback. The interior is still early in development. I know they will clean it up before launch.

Instrument panel reminds me of the flat S2000 display with different graphics and the addition of 2 analog gauges. I'm sure this will be updated.

DSG is faster, Manual trans is more engaging. Give us a choice or it may be a deal breaker.

This is no longer the lean NSX formula that it was. The hybrid is fine. It has a place in today's market. But it lacks purity and adds weight. Yea, you can offset it by weight reduction, but you are still at least 200 lbs heavier than one without it. New NSX is a different car. To each its own.

I prefer, naturally aspirated, high revving, light weight and no more than 400 hp. Power was never what the NSX is about. ITO is chasing Gusto and glory with the 500 Hp car, much like Fukui was with his V10 bloat mobile.

The car's specification will likely result in a price tag quite a few notches above the $90K of the previous. Because of Acura's marque, the higher the price tag, the lower the volume. They are not Tier 1 manufacturer. The are limited buyers willing to shell out over $125K unless it has some European name plate on it.

Sources indicate the NSX will have some form of turbo to compensate because the car was a hog once it ran out of battery juice on a track with limited or short brake zones for regen. This is short sighted on Honda part. Us primers knew this and were discussing this back in 2003. Back then, most of us agreed that a hybrid would haul dead weight around within a few laps. It is now 10 years later, and Honda sources are now confirming that. As a response to that problem, they are adding a turbo. This seems either very short sighted or just not having clear vision on the direction of the NSX when the project was launched. The source also said the goals of the car was changed. Originally around 400 Hp, now up to 500Hp.

Beak, flat front end with big gaping opening, and likely no trunk. All bad. Yea, everyone is doing the big mouth openings. Group think! Ugly is ugly. They were all doing fins back in the 50s. Pedstrian safety is an excuse. Porsches and Ferraris still have slim and low front ends.

Storage space in the front will be not much is any. Where do you think the 2 electric motors in the front are going to reside?

Flying Buttress - Good luck with access to the engine. One will have to be on top of the rear fender to access the engine bay for maintenance, unless you have cables and pulleys to hoist yourself over the car.

New NSX is flamboyant, a product of the designer's youth. Not convinced if the styling will be timeless.

Perhaps the mini-NSX will maintain some of the purity (no hybrid) of the Gen 1 and also keep the power on tap. For the Honda bean counters, they could still carry over the 6 speed manual trans to the mini-NSX.

Back