• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2016 NSX to cost same as r8?

The 12C and 650S share a TON of components:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMB4TS6sCYo

I've seen that video before but it's ignorant to assume that McLaren or Ferrari build most of their engine and chassis platforms from scratch and not share among other models. Like the 12C and 650S' engine differences, I'd be surprised if the 458's new engine is 75% different from the california. It does not make business sense.

But this is all bench racing so who cares.

I'm not assuming. The point is that the current R8 has the same power output and almost identical dyno graph as the RS4. They took a Saloon's engine and put it on a rebodied Gallardo platform. You said it yourself. My analogy is a Frankenstein car or kit car. I stand by it. You're not going to change my mind.

The P1 and 12C or 650S delivers completely different power and characteristics. Every engine is an evolution of a previous model. The VR38DETT is based heavily off of the VQ engines, but it's different enough to be unique and specific to the GTR.

......I didn't get mad at you in the slightest. I just think your statement about being a kit car was moronic. Gallardo must also be in you opinion a kit car as well......because the electrical switches are basically the same as in my 03' as well as the brake calipers and rotors.......care to change your statement now since the Gallardo wasn't released until 04' the Gallardo, if I recall correctly was designed by Audi engineers as well. So now what?

If you're not mad or offended, then take my opinion/take on the car as agree to disagree. You're trying to focus on small components as an argument, but you can't overcome the fact that the major powertrain and chassis is not original or unique to the R8. I don't care who designs the car, Audi or Lambo. If it's an original, exclusive, and competent design, then I can like it. Hence why I've always expressed I like the Gallardo/Huracan better. It's my preference. They are the tip of the spear and the R8 takes the trickle effect.

If Audi made a sleeker, low stanced machine with it's own specific engine, then I would give them props. They have yet to do that. Honda did it in the 90s and they are trying do it again.

Audi is Lamborghini......and they both are Volkswagon. I don't care to change your mind, cause I really don't care what you think. At the end of the day, I'd be willing to bet you won't have any of the cars mentioned in this thread in your garage....including the new NSX.

Audi is Lamborghini......and they both are Volkswagon. I don't care to change your mind, cause I really don't care what you think. At the end of the day, I'd be willing to bet you won't have any of the cars mentioned in this thread in your garage....including the new NSX.

Lol. Good one bro �� Way to flex your wallet there when you feel inadequate. Please don't lose sleep at night over this discussion or repeat facts that I or any person already know. Just take a ride in your nice R8 and forget all about what maverick N Spec thinks :rolleyes:

And just for jokes in the spirit of your ego trip, let me end my replies to you about this topic with this:

R8Meme_zpscd40226d.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BTW NA1MT, if you don't get my subtle joke. I can just go buy a used RS4 ~25K, 1/3 of the R8's market price, drop less than $10K worth of FI in the car and have a $35K RS4 with the "R8 Engine" and give you a run for your money on the drag strip and still comfortably seat 5 people. This should give you the idea of the exclusivity factor too.

But that's not what it's always about is it? It's about owning a car that you personally enjoy and makes you feel special. Enjoy your R8. Don't let my opinion of it get to you.

Last edited:
I don't consider the r8 to be exotica.

You said it sir, not I :biggrin: I think we've agreed more than on a few occasions about cars and design, along with our enthusiasm for the new NSX. I definitely view the Gallardo/Huracan as exotic tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't you think a bmw i8 is comparable?

Exotic looks, very high performance mid engine 4wd two seater. Why is it less supercar than the nsx?

Because it uses a 3 banger Mini Cooper engine :eek: haha [small joking jabs]. I think the unwritten mandatory hp requirement is not there. The i8 does looks nice IMO albeit some interesting choice of two tone like the R8 or McLaren. More exotic looking and sleeker than the R8, that's for sure :wink:

I didn't buy my R8 to go to the drag strip....it's a cruiser. My NSX happens to be my fast car. And I never said that the R8 engine was a "supped up" RS4 engine. As far as flexing my wallet goes.......that's laughable. As I did say in an earlier post, I actually own all three of the cars you are basing your magazine influenced opinions on.

It's always good to be a dreamer though.....have fun with your magazine stack in the bathroom.

I didn't buy my R8 to go to the drag strip....it's a cruiser. My NSX happens to be my fast car. And I never said that the R8 engine was a "supped up" RS4 engine. As far as flexing my wallet goes.......that's laughable. As I did say in an earlier post, I actually own all three of the cars you are basing your magazine influenced opinions on.

It's always good to be a dreamer though.....have fun with your magazine stack in the bathroom.

Hey, I'm not trying to extend this personal debate with you, but you've got to come up with Smarter/More original personal attacks for two reasons:

1. To even remotely affect my ego, you need to be able to attack harder than resorting to classic "More than you can afford pal" or "Dreamer" antics haha. You act as if an R8 is unreachable even for a person that has average median income of $50K a year. It's all about priorities of budget and helps if their cost of living is low aka no crazy spending habits or/and low mortgage payment. I would still rather spend my own hard-earned money on something other than the current R8*

2. You're just making yourself Look Bad buddy. I've never once tried to insult your intelligence or direct anything personal about you, but let me say this. For you to even take my own personal opinions about a car so deeply to justify your purchase of the R8 means you are in fact in doubt of your choice. If you were secure with your decision, you would have called my opinion moronic once if even and not lose thought or sleep over it. If I could count the times I've had haters say to me you paid that much for a 15-20 year old Acura and not lose sleep over their comments, it would be "Zero."

Please reply and have the last word or whatever you need to do. If you actually want to discuss something more sensible, logical, or intelligent, then that would be great too haha.

Last edited:
Rosberg vs Hamilton= N Spec vs NA1MT....Real vs Bench..........:tongue:

Since I own both examples I will chime in and say that if the NSX and the R8 are the same price, I would pick the R8 every day of the week.

+1, love my NSX, but hard to beat the v10 R8 at WOT ~ it's what the NSX should have been in the new version!

In closing:
1) Didn't call you moronic......said your statement was, and I stand by that comment

2) Didn't assume what you could or could not afford, nor could I really care what your financial situation is

3) I don't question my personal choice to purchase my R8, I actually pondered it for about a year if you must know, and am quite satisfied with my purchase.

4) If you would condone that someone earning a $50k a year salary has any business purchasing an $80k plus car.....revisit #1 of this post.

N Spec,

have to say I completely agree with NA1MT. Your opinions on originality and unique design ethos "specialness" to me seem to be completely arbitrary. You have stuck your flag in the ground and determined what you consider to constitute a "frankenstein" kit car which itself seems to be something important to you and of little consideration to every car nut I've ever spoken to.

Good luck to you, feel free to enjoy your opinions, but don't profess to speaking with authority on behalf of the majority of people who know anything about cars.

This thread has taken a sour tone that does not seem to go along with the spirit of this community. No disrespect but fellas, but were are only talking about cars here.

N Spec,

have to say I completely agree with NA1MT. Your opinions on originality and unique design ethos "specialness" to me seem to be completely arbitrary. You have stuck your flag in the ground and determined what you consider to constitute a "frankenstein" kit car which itself seems to be something important to you and of little consideration to every car nut I've ever spoken to.

Good luck to you, feel free to enjoy your opinions, but don't profess to speaking with authority on behalf of the majority of people who know anything about cars.

I gave my opinion saying I would choose the NSX because it is more original and closer to exotic levels by idea while also looking better because the original post beckoned a comparison between the R8 (that would cost anywhere from $120-$180K) and the new NSX. I made analogy of kit car.

Some people got upset and assume I'm just running off the mouth to hate or were offended because they own one. Let me break down the analogy:

1) Enthusiast obtains Fiero rolling chassis. He creates a custom Lamborghini-like body kit for the Fiero and shoe horns a GM V8 or even Ford V8 into the car. Sells the car to some buyer that likes his custom work. Kit Car.

2) Garage buys MR2 rolling chassis. Creates custom Ferrari-like body kit over the MR2. Drops a 280hp Camry V6 or Caldina engine in the Toyota. Sells the car for $15-$25K. Kit Car.

3) Audi takes the Gallardo chassis. Creates R8 body kit in Audi Flavor. Drops a Audi V8 or detuned Gallardo V10. Kit Car.

What are the differences between the 3?
There in lies the argument for "kit car." The only difference between number 3 to 1 and 2, is that Audi offers higher production value at the cost of 6 figures and a warranty. Even some garages will offer warranty these days. So don't call my analogy stupid/silly if you can't wrap your head around it. The fact the that I've got NA1MT spitting out school yard child rebuttals shows the "sophistication" that used Audi R8 customers command :rolleyes:

Again, not saying the R8 is a shit car or delivers a $20K kit car quality, I just said I don't like it ideally and I would rather own the Gallardo. But if the new NSX shapes up right, I would take that over the Gallardo too. That's my own personal preference. I didn't sit around and say hey, all of you who bought the R8 are idiots! I gave my positive thoughts and respect for the car but ultimately I do not like it.

The high horse of anyone believing that they have a greater opinion than I or anyone because they simply wrote a check to possess a vehicle is no different than a person "bench racing" based on magazine's opinions. Last time I checked the R8 had virtually universal acclaim from all of the magazines, so don't assume my opinions are based on magazines or whatever excuse you can try to take leverage over the conversation. The R8 sells pretty well and I'm personally not impressed. If Audi was proud and made an R8 that's truly original and those other attributes I mentioned earlier, then I would be impressed. Audi rather be lazy and make better business decisions. The American Dream - good for them. If you are impressed easily, then by all means gentlemen. The market for nice MR cars are not that plentiful, so we all have to choose something.

If you can't convince me to like the car before getting passed the test drive process, why would I own it so that I can have "more credibility" with online car forums guys? This forum gets enough ego flexing from each person up are usually well off and have sense of "winning" so I get that mentality tho.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW NA1MT, if you can't budget 40K of expected annual income to purchase a $80K car, then you are spending too much on living costs. It can be done trust me. This is of course in the lines of not having a family to support. There are obviously other requirements.

Your last post pretty much sums up that my "opinion" of who you really are is pretty spot on. Keep up the good work kid. Do us all a favor and post up pics of you when you take ownership of your new NSX 2.0....something tells me I'll see a pig fly by my window first.

Your last post pretty much sums up that my "opinion" of who you really are is pretty spot on. Keep up the good work kid. Do us all a favor and post up pics of you when you take ownership of your new NSX 2.0....something tells me I'll see a pig fly by my window first.

Sure thing sir! Gee Golly. I sure hope I can impress you some day! Haha

Stay consistent old man. First you call me a dreamer, then you say you "Didn't assume what you could or could not afford, nor could I really care what your financial situation is", and now you're back at saying I'll never own a second gen NSX. You can't even articulate a good argument to defend your lash-outs. Please find smarter ways to attack me please sir because as I said, it's going to take a lot more than saying "well I own a $80K Audi, so I know more or have more street cred than you." V8 model I take it??? :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Another BTW: I'm joking with you when I say this stuff. I'm just making fun of your silly post/attempt to condescend. Don't take it to the heart please. I don't really know how old you are or whatever bracket you fall in. Have a good one!

You are quickly elevating yourself from one that makes moronic statements to a complete babbling idiot. It's kind of amusing to see how you change a word here, add a word there in attempt to appear as if I'm attacking you.....lol.

I really couldn't care less if you stepped off the sidewalk and got run over by a bus tonight, let alone how much money you make or what car you might buy if it ever gets released.

Off-topic...

hXK2edW.jpg

On-topic...

I need to see the NSX-v2 in the flesh, I'm sure its form-factor is ridiculous relative to other vehicles but the latest/recent Acura design-language hasn't resonated well with me. And the NSX-v2 is the epitome and culmination of all that!

Last edited:
N Spec,

Your kit car analogy falls down in that only one of your kit car makers is an own manufacturer. The others do not design cars, they merely assemble them.

Every component on the R8 has its own Audi part number regardless of whether that part or something similar to it is used somewhere else in the group. Audi do not buy in parts from other car manufacturers. Both your other examples do, the parts are labelled with the name of other makes and models because they remain parts of other vehicles. The creation of the R8 defines a new model from the same own manufacturer.

Your unique perspective makes it impossible for any brand to platform share which has been almost the norm in Vehicle manufacture for over 20 years.

In going to stop there because I don't think you can see this or any point made by anyone else, except to say I sold my R8 because I didn't like it. It wasn't special other than the gearbox, and was outclassed in the areas I appreciate by the gtr despite costing me more money.

Did make a nice noise though.

The R8 e-tron is a novelty. Nobody will want that thing as evidenced by how Audi says it will likely be "special order only". Same for a fully electric SLS AMG. By contrast I could actually see a future R8 hybrid being commercially successful. Regardless Audi is likely being forced to go the hybrid route due to continually creeping government efficiency standards, so I see this as less of a design choice and more one of necessity. In this sense Honda made the right choice by going with a hybrid for the next NSX as opposed to developing a V8 or V10 engine.

I would have to disagree, I think Audi and Mercedes will sell as many electric models of the R8 and SLS as they can produce. I could be wrong, so we'll see. but I'd have no problem buying a fully electric R8 (in 2016 - the last intended release date). however my statement was about forward thinking, so it would appear that the Germans are a bit further ahead in that regard. getting rid of fossil fuels completely is obviously the end goal, so going fully electric is the grand prize. theoretically hybrids are the stopgap along the way.

at least Audi is offering a choice for full-on petrol heads. and it's always nice to have a choice as all you old school "row your own" boys will attest to.

I need to see the NSX-v2 in the flesh, I'm sure its form-factor is ridiculous relative to other vehicles but the latest/recent Acura design-language hasn't resonated well with me. And the NSX-v2 is the epitome and culmination of all that!

honestly, I have to say I really don't dig the shape so much myself.

N Spec, you've got to drop the kit car moniker mate. it just does not apply, and no one is backing you up on it. it's a pretty silly statement, because no car company makes anything completely original without robbing the parts bin of their other models. the R8 is a great car, my only advice to you is to go and drive one...

I'm afraid the V2 is going to be a lot of form over function and not as much of a thoroughbred performing drivers car as the original. It's already behind the times of hybrid cars following the P1, 918, LaFerrari, and the i8 beat the V2 to the punch in terms of an affordable hybrid performance car. We shall see...

Many NSX's (+ NSXPO's) since 1994.....were fantastic cars - friends w/Porsches thought I was nuts.

Now a 991 owner for about two years & 15K miles. Disappointments, other than depreciation, zero.

At local cars & coffee type events (200 cars +), Porsches old & new are given up front parking spots w/other exotics. NSX's if any show,
are relegated back to Japanese car heaven (incl GT-R)

No doubt when the new car debuts it will attract a lot of attention. My prediction says the excitement will be short lived
if it looks as it does today.

BTW, R8's get a lot of attention at these events.

Last edited:
Back