• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2017 911 GTS to an NSX- couple of questions

Hi everyone,I am new to the forum and am considering moving from my 991.2 GTS to an NSX and I have a couple of questions regarding dimensions and front end clearance.

Specs have the NSX as approx 10 inches wider than my 911 with the mirrors not folded (my 911 mirrors don't fold). I have just about an inch and a half clearance on either side when I pull into my garage.
Anyone have any idea how wide the NSX is with the mirrors folded?

Also I think I read here that the NSX only has about 4 inches of clearance. My car is about 6 inches and even angling the car into the driveway I just about making it w/o scraping the bottom of my bumper.
Since the sides of the front end angle back more sharply on the NSX than the 911 does that help minimize scraping?

I really love the the NSX and I would like to trade up but I am concerned it just may not work for me.

I guess I really needed the 2019 updates to include the lift and the power folding mirrors everyone keeps talking about!

Thanks for all your help!

I just checked and with the mirrors folded, they do not extend past the width of the rear fenders, which Acura lists as 87.3".

I'm not sure how your 991.2 compares to my 997.2 for front clearance, but my 997 has a way more approach clearance than the NSX. If you are near scraping your GTS, I'm pretty confident the NSX will scrape. Science of Speed makes a nicely engineered lift system for the NSX. I do not have the iLift installed, so that comment is based on pictures and other owner comments.

I'm a big fan of Porsche and enjoy both of my 911's a lot, but the NSX is generally the key I grab every day since buying it, so hopefully it will work out for you. Good luck!

Talking about mirror ... :cower::apologetic:

Sad story from me, the NSX is damn wide, and the mirrors are way wider than the body, (look great, but odd angle) and thus why I broke my side mirror from my garage.

For most Porsche, (and many other vehicles) the total wide mirror to mirror, is about the same, or just couple inch wider than the body, but the NSX mirror to mirror is a lot wider, which isn't a practical design.. (I was too careless too) I remember Porsche (from 997?) designed their mirrors narrower as the 911 body gets wider and wider.

To fold (manual) the NSX mirrors is also pain in the butts, the rod is so long and stiff ... (thus when it hit my garage even very gentle, it was just shattered .. )

Also, for some reason, the front end of NSX is very easy to scrap ..NSX is not that low, but somehow the clearance is bad, you won't have that problem for any 911 .. (other than GT3 RS etc) I have other sports cars, and they are not as bad, only one as bad is the Lotus.. *_*

NSX is very comfortable, awesome for daily driving, however, missing many small detail, (cup holder, front lift, folding mirror, trunk, interior storage etc etc ) kind of feel like a Lotus or old Ferrari 348, but with the ride as good as Lexus ...

Even I love the NSX, but I have to say current 991 is a more "mature" vehicle, I was comparing the 991 GTS and NSX as well, they are about the same price .... I choose the NSX, but still always look at the GTS .. especially the manual!

I just checked and with the mirrors folded, they do not extend past the width of the rear fenders, which Acura lists as 87.3".

I'm not sure how your 991.2 compares to my 997.2 for front clearance, but my 997 has a way more approach clearance than the NSX. If you are near scraping your GTS, I'm pretty confident the NSX will scrape. Science of Speed makes a nicely engineered lift system for the NSX. I do not have the iLift installed, so that comment is based on pictures and other owner comments.

I'm a big fan of Porsche and enjoy both of my 911's a lot, but the NSX is generally the key I grab every day since buying it, so hopefully it will work out for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the info especially the width of the rear fenders. I thought I might be ok as I had read somewhere the car was about 77 inches wide with them folded in.

I believe the the 991.2 is a bit better than the 997 for front clearance. I had a 997 with an aero kit and that was atrocious! I changed out the plastic spoiler lip every 6 months. Thanks God it was fairly cheap!

I would be leasing the NSX so I am not sure I could add the lift to the vehicle plus I think the lift is over 3K without installation.

I have been fortunate to have a few 911's and was hoping to try something different. I love the looks and performance of the NSX and was so hoping to get one.

Only good thing is the car is parked in a rented garage so it may be time to look for a larger space.

Enjoy the NSX and thanks again.

Talking about mirror ... :cower::apologetic:

Sad story from me, the NSX is damn wide, and the mirrors are way wider than the body, (look great, but odd angle) and thus why I broke my side mirror from my garage.

For most Porsche, (and many other vehicles) the total wide mirror to mirror, is about the same, or just couple inch wider than the body, but the NSX mirror to mirror is a lot wider, which isn't a practical design.. (I was too careless too) I remember Porsche (from 997?) designed their mirrors narrower as the 911 body gets wider and wider.

To fold (manual) the NSX mirrors is also pain in the butts, the rod is so long and stiff ... (thus when it hit my garage even very gentle, it was just shattered .. )

Also, for some reason, the front end of NSX is very easy to scrap ..NSX is not that low, but somehow the clearance is bad, you won't have that problem for any 911 .. (other than GT3 RS etc) I have other sports cars, and they are not as bad, only one as bad is the Lotus.. *_*

NSX is very comfortable, awesome for daily driving, however, missing many small detail, (cup holder, front lift, folding mirror, trunk, interior storage etc etc ) kind of feel like a Lotus or old Ferrari 348, but with the ride as good as Lexus ...

Even I love the NSX, but I have to say current 991 is a more "mature" vehicle, I was comparing the 991 GTS and NSX as well, they are about the same price .... I choose the NSX, but still always look at the GTS .. especially the manual!

Yes I read your post. Sorry to hear about that mishap. I almost bought a CWP NSX before the 911 and considered the same issues you mentioned especially the trunk and interior storage space. I didn't even think about the width and clearance back then.
This was before the rebate and the leases at the time where terrible on the NSX.

I have had a number of 911's so I really wanted something different. I found a manual GTS and went with that. I do enjoy it but I can't seem to let go of the NSX!

As I mentioned earlier I may need to find another garage.

Thanks again for the info and enjoy your NSX!

I moved from a 991.1 C2s to the NC1:

1) Yeah it's much wider with the mirrors out. But I didn't have parking sensors on my 911, so this is now much easier to park, even though I have way less space around the sides. I basically just make sure both of the front side sensors alert at the same time (to indicate that the car's aligned evenly on both sides) and then slowly drive in.

2) I actually scrape less in the NSX than the 911, as I had S-PASM with the factory 10mm drop + lower front lip.

Thanks for all the responses. I just measured my 911 and it does indeed have almost 6 inches of ground clearance. I had to do it myself, I couldn't believe the NSX is so much lower. I am thinking of adding the scrape armor kit to the NSX. Perhaps that will help. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Also if the NSX is about 2 inches lower, would I be able to even go up my driveway or would I crash the front end. For context I scrape when I turn into the driveway ramp from the street even at an angle. That incline is only about 3 feet long and then it flattens out. I understand its hard to tell and I am being a bit paranoid but I need to get into the garage. By the way its a rented garage so it may be difficult for me to correct the incline.

Thanks!

Hello, it is what it is, if you worry about the ground clearance, don't order the carbon body kit, my other vehicles scrape here and there too, not just driveway, from shopping mall, downtown parking, speed bumps .. even my big Audi Sedan, front lower plate was scraped too .. and stupid $1,000 there .. :( but it is not the reason for not driving nice sports cars!

Do it slow, and may be add those "rubber pads" to your driveway.

(Sadly, I am in Canada, all our roads/parking/house etc etc are designed for trucks and SUVs)

Last edited:
Back