• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2018 Blue Ridge Parkway and "Tail of the Dragon" Trip

Hi Everyone,

Having just finished storing my car, I've begun to look ahead to next year. I'm "testing the waters" on this to see if there is any interest in driving down to North Carolina either this coming spring or next autumn to check out the Blue Ridge Parkway and the "Tail of the Dragon". The Chicago metro area has a lot of things going for it, but interesting driving roads is not one of them. The Blue Ridge Parkway, the southern terminus of which begins near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, is one of the most scenic drives in the eastern United States if not the whole country, and would be well worth the drive down there. It essentially parallels the Appalachian Trail, the famous footpath extending from Georgia to Maine, and while the road is two lane and has a low speed limit, it compensates by offering countless curves and views galore. We will also be near the well known "Tail of the Dragon", the endlessly curving road which attracts drivers of sports cars as well as motorcycles from all over. If you're into carving the curves and testing your driving abilities as well as seeing what your car can really do, this road is for you. It's essentially a day's drive down and back, so we're probably talking 3-4, perhaps 5 days maximum. As far as timing, springtime would offer the possibility of seeing many of the hills abloom with azaleas, rhododendron, or dogwood, and fall would offer the chance to see the turning of the maples, sweetgum, and other trees. I'm flexible as to dates.

I realize that it's significant amount of milage, but personally I've become tired of just looking at my car and not really driving it anywhere. The BRP itself is over 400 miles long, extending from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park up to the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. I don't envision driving the length of the entire BRP, but rather spending as much time on it as possible while allowing everyone the opportunity to enjoy the "Tail of the Dragon" and any of the other sights in the area (the National Park, Asheville, etc.). I've been to the Smokies and BRP before, and they're both nice. The only problem was that I wasn't driving an NSX at the time! Anyway, if this appeals to you, post here or drop me a pm should you prefer. I'm in the earliest phases of planning this. Should a bunch of guys want to go, great! If nobody goes, then you'll have to suffer through me telling all of you what a great time my solo trip was! :)

You should strongly consider this event in May. There are usually 2 or 3 NSX's that attend. It's 3 days of organized great drives and social activities. I have taken both my S2000 and my NSX to this in past years, and can whole-heartedly recommend it. There are normally 2 attendees from the Chicago area as well.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/dragon-events-49/

Last edited:
Although there are a lot of great roads in and around the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Parkway is very scenic...I believe the maximum speed limit on the parkway itself is 45 mph (and the civilian/tourist/leaf lookers are numerous).

Although there are a lot of great roads in and around the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Parkway is very scenic...I believe the maximum speed limit on the parkway itself is 45 mph (and the civilian/tourist/leaf lookers are numerous).
Yeah, it would be my luck to get stuck behind grandma driving the Winnebago at 35-40 mph but I'm sure I/we will still check it out. Tom, I've pm'd you before. Any chance of you showing up for any of this event? I'd drop by Madison but the distance just to the BRP/Dragon is pushing the envelope for us.

Yeah, it would be my luck to get stuck behind grandma driving the Winnebago at 35-40 mph but I'm sure I/we will still check it out. Tom, I've pm'd you before. Any chance of you showing up for any of this event? I'd drop by Madison but the distance just to the BRP/Dragon is pushing the envelope for us.
If the timing works out I'll sure try to meet up with you all!
Actually John Komar and the "Raleigh Crew" should be engaged as a meet-up.

The speed limit on most of The Dragon is 30mph these days, and you can expect heavy law enforcement on weekends, in addition to slow-moving tourists. But it's better during the week. I bet the same applies to the BRP (though it's been 20 years since I've been on it).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've drove the entire BRP a couple of summers ago in my S2k. It's beautiful but basically a 2 day (8 hr/day) pretty cruise. If you want to have fun and drive a bit more spirited than come to Rock the Dragon with the s2k group. Besides the Dragon we do drives all over the place and it's a blast.

Just to update some of you guys as to where I am with all of this, my efforts to secure some vacation time in advance over the May 11-13 timeframe have fallen flat. I may still be able to go, but won't know for certain until April 16th (to be exact), so I guess Erv (the other NSX owner in the Chicago metro area) and I are going to play it by ear. I expect us to go at some point, and will try for the May 11-13 event, but it could be outside of those dates. Gene, Tom, Rob, and JohnWayne, I hope to see you guys down there this spring! I'll keep everyone in the loop as more information becomes available in April.

Last edited:
Back