• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

215/40 R17 all around acceptable?

Found some Enkei RS6 Wheels and was wondering if running 215/40's all around would cause TSC or any issues, not planning on tracking just for the look.

Thanks

Yeh I was thinking the same but for $300 for 4 wheels new tires kinda tempted :)

Your rear wheels need to have a diameter that is, I think, 5% larger than the front or you will have TCS issues.

You cant run those as they are. Depending upon the size of the rims, you may be able to get 2 larger sizes of the rubber that is already on them.

Not acceptable to me.

your not driving a 150hp acura integra, your driving a acura nsx:cool: go ahead and splurge on some wheels and tires that cost more than $300

Price was tempting but the issue is weight/function.

Its nearly impossible to find wheels lighter than the factory OEM. Any suggestions of wheels that look good and are light/functional?

even if they were free it doesn't justify using them. stick with stock and save your money for future recorded maintenance.

even if they were free it doesn't justify using them. stick with stock and save your money for future recorded maintenance.

One repair I don't have to worry about is my car bending in half.:biggrin:

depending on what kind of tires... If you could match the "right" size tires, I would just take the set, sell the wheels and keep those tires...

But, if you don't have a cheap means for install/uninstall the tires, then the money you saved would go into the tire installer's pocket.

Those enkei wheels were made for FWD vehicle and they don't have right offset and width for the rears.

If you run the same size tires front to back, not only you must turn off the TCS all the time (This is what I do anyway), your car will not handle good at all.

Yup. 215/40-17 in the rear will cause TCS problems and the handling will suck.

Also, if you are using a set of four identical wheels from some other non-NSX car, you're asking for problems, in addition to the TCS issues (which depend on tire sizes) and the inability to mount different width tires on the same width wheels. The NSX has different center bore sizes, front vs rear. So if the wheels have the same center bore, even if it fits over all four hubs, you will need to get hubcentric rings to prevent susceptibility to vibrations. This is why it's generally a very bad idea to use wheels from other cars on the NSX.

About $850 delivered from Tire Rack + $150 for "Road Force Balancing".... 215/40-17 RE040 HO fronts & 255/40-17 rears. OEM's lasted 9500 miles which is pretty good. These tires are corner and direction specific so you order 4 different catalog#'s.......great handling tire!

Tires1.jpg

Your rear wheels need to have a diameter that is, I think, 5% larger than the front or you will have TCS issues.

You're close but the TCS light will come on if the percentage difference in tire circumference changes by more than 5% from the stock ratio.

Using the OEM sizes from my '93 we get:

205/50-15 Circ= 72.5"
225/50-16 Circ= 78.1"

Percentage difference is 7.7%

My aftermarket sizes:
215/40-17 Circ= 74.7"
285/35-18 Circ= 81.2"

Percentage difference is 8.7% for a 1% change from stock.

As a side note, using this rear tire size will cause my speedo to read 4% too slow. In other words when my speedo says 60 MPH I am actually going 62.4 MPH.

285/35-18 Circ= 81.2"

Percentage difference is 8.7% for a 1% change from stock.

As a side note, using this rear tire size will cause my speedo to read 4% too slow.
It will also degrade your acceleration. It's like changing from the stock 4.06 ring and pinion gear to a taller R&P gear with a 3.90 gear ratio. Stick with 255/35-18 or 265/35-18 and you won't have such a drastic hit to your acceleration. (They're usually cheaper, too!)

It will also degrade your acceleration. It's like changing from the stock 4.06 ring and pinion gear to a taller R&P gear with a 3.90 gear ratio.

That little issue is taken care of by the newly installed 4.23 R&P and short gears. However since my rear tires are at the wear indicators and there's not a GSD3 to be had in the entire United States in the 285 width and the 275 is no more, I'll give the 265's a whirl. That should make Charlotte a bit peppier. :)

Price was tempting but the issue is weight/function.

Its nearly impossible to find wheels lighter than the factory OEM. Any suggestions of wheels that look good and are light/functional?

If your willing to spend the money for it, there are a good amount of wheels that are lighter than stock and actually fit good. If your running around on those pizza cutters you call wheels in the back and you see another nsx running 10 inch wide wheels in the back your going to feel embarrassed to have those FWD wheels on your car.

Nothing pisses me off more than wheels not fitting good esp on a RWD car. I always feel the best exterior mods you can do to any car that will be timeless is a really nice set of wheels that fits flush to the fenders, and a slight drop in ride height. That will never go out of style, with the right offset and width wheels, it can make the NSX looks much much much wider and planted looking.

Since you seem like your on a budget, I would get the oem 16-17 wheels and put a 25mm hub adapter on them to make them sit flush to the fenders and call it a day.

DSCF1353.jpg

185c0e81.jpg

DSCF0693.jpg

vs stock with no spacers

10335nsxrear.jpg

and thats on a 8.5 inch wide wheel with probably a lower offset wheel then your 215mm wheels so if that looks that tucked in, I can't even fathom how tucked in those FWD wheels would be in the rear.

S14_tat your car looks lovely, I agree its best to buy good wheels. I was not aware those other rims where for FWD, they looked not to bad. Anyhow the hunt continues. :)

S14_tat your car looks lovely, I agree its best to buy good wheels. I was not aware those other rims where for FWD, they looked not to bad. Anyhow the hunt continues. :)

no no, thanks for the compliment but those aren't my car. My car is the green on with the LE28's in my avatar. To give you an idea, i'm running a 42 offset in the rear with a 5mm spacer making it 37mm offset on a 18x9.5 wheel. This wheel only weights 18 lbs which is lighter than the stock 17x8.5 but its +1 in size.

My fronts are a little tucked in, I have a 17x7.5 with a 45 offset if i remember correctly.

Found some Enkei RS6 Wheels and was wondering if running 215/40's all around would cause TSC or any issues, not planning on tracking just for the look.

Thanks

Don't do it. Bad idea. Simple as that.

Back