• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

285 miles on new Eagle F1 tires and a blowout

The odd thing is that I saw nothing in the road, and it was recently paved. I am used to examining the pavement because I mostly have the Koni's on the stiffest setting.

It felt more like I ran over something but saw nothing. The cut is in the sidewall. Any chance Tire Rack will wantantee it?

I drove of S0-3 Pole Positions for 6 years with no such problems.

hondaholic said:
The odd thing is that I saw nothing in the road, and it was recently paved. I am used to examining the pavement because I mostly have the Koni's on the stiffest setting.

It felt more like I ran over something but saw nothing. The cut is in the sidewall. Any chance Tire Rack will wantantee it?

Dont worry, ill make sure your baby doesnt get lonely:biggrin:

hondaholic said:
Any chance Tire Rack will wantantee it?

I doubt it would make a good substitute for a golf ball but it can't hurt to call them and inquire. Did you buy the optional road hazard insurance?

Do you have a local Goodyear dealership near you? They might be able to help too.

Hugh said:
I doubt it would make a good substitute for a golf ball but it can't hurt to call them and inquire. Did you buy the optional road hazard insurance?

Do you have a local Goodyear dealership near you? They might be able to help too.

Its was strange, like a gash in the sidewall but no evidence of hitting anything. Strange:confused:

hondaholic said:

Call Goodyear, explain to them you had a blow out on a brand new tire on your NSX. Don't accept a "no" for an answer, keep on calling until Goodyear sends you another brand new tire and have it mounted/balanced at their expenses. Worked for me.

Is this a well known fact? I mst have missed it when cruising the boards looking for tires. Had I know this I would have stuck with Bridgestone.

I'm about 100 miles on the Eagle F1 tires now and the road in my place is not the best. No problem so far. Infact I'm very impressed with the performance of this tire grip dry or wet. I'll stick with this brand for a long time unless Michelin max performance tires comes with the suitable size and they lower the price down.
hondaholic said:
Is this a well known fact? I mst have missed it when cruising the boards looking for tires. Had I know this I would have stuck with Bridgestone.

apapada said:
Call Goodyear, explain to them you had a blow out on a brand new tire on your NSX. Don't accept a "no" for an answer, keep on calling until Goodyear sends you another brand new tire and have it mounted/balanced at their expenses. Worked for me.

I have been travelling so I couldn't get to this until now. Goodyear is offering to replace it at half price. How did you get them to replace it at their cost? To be honest, this is likely the last set of Goodyears I will ever buy.

There must have been something hard to see on the road. I was only going about 40 mph. With no damage whatsoever to my brand new Prodirve wheels, how much of a road hazard could it have been. I didn't realize I was driving on chewing gum. I actually drove on the tire for several miles before I knew there was a problem.

hondaholic said:
There must have been something hard to see on the road. I was only going about 40 mph. With no damage whatsoever to my brand new Prodirve wheels, how much of a road hazard could it have been. I didn't realize I was driving on chewing gum. I actually drove on the tire for several miles before I knew there was a problem.
A road hazard can destroy any tire, and even at low speeds. And yes, it doesn't always happen instantly.

Ask me how I know... :frown:

I experienced the exact same thing on a right rear

I was stupid enough to accept their explanation that it was something I hit and not at all the fault of the tire

I previously had S-02's, then S-03's, then F1's with the sidewall problem, now back to S-03's and very happy with them. Never had a problem with any of the Bridgestones!

Glad you got your replacement for 1/2 cost, I just hope you don't have any further problems with them

Good luck!

nsxtasy said:
A road hazard can destroy any tire, and even at low speeds. And yes, it doesn't always happen instantly.

Ask me how I know... :frown:

You are correct, but hondaholic's damage is in the sidewall of the tire. Unless he curbed it before (pinched the tire sidewall) or hit a pothole (which he would have remembered and mentioned), this is a tire construction problem, not a road hazard.

Hondaholic, if you still have the tire in your posession, why wouldn't you take some pictures of the damage area and post them here for all to see.

apapada said:
You are correct, but hondaholic's damage is in the sidewall of the tire. Unless he curbed it before (pinched the tire sidewall) or hit a pothole (which he would have remembered and mentioned), this is a tire construction problem, not a road hazard.
Aha, good point...

Can I e-mail a picture to someone to post it for me? I have trouble making the image small enough in photoshop.

Either post it in the NSXPrime owner gallery and then link it to this thread or host it on Imageshack and again link it here.
hondaholic said:
Can I e-mail a picture to someone to post it for me? I have trouble making the image small enough in photoshop.

hondaholic said:
Click on thumbnail below for full resolution version (466 Kb).

hondaholic said:
I noticed yesterday that there is a similar crack on the treaded surface as well.

this is new info, very important as well. It may have caused the crack on the sidewall, or it may have been caused by it.

Please look inside the tire where the crack is in the treaded surface. Can you see damage / a crack on the inside liner of the tire ? Look on the inside carefully and you can use a screwdriver to see if the damage went throughout but DO NOT USE your bare fingers.

Let us know.

The tire is still on the rim. I will take it to my shop to have them demount it within a few days. I don't want the tire monkeys at Sears (the place Goodyear recommended I take the tire for evaluation) near my Prodrive wheel.

Last edited:
I would think that a tire expert would be able to tell by looking at the damage whether it was caused by road debris, by a manufacturing defect, or by something else. For example, if it happened due to road debris, you might see a pattern on the cut surface of the tire, to indicate that a metallic object (which is never exactly smooth) sliced into it. Or if the rubber simply failed, I would expect a very rough texture with no pattern.

I'm sure apapada would be happy to confirm (or disagree) since he's in the biz...

ok, it's not always easy to give an expert advice using just one picture. To be able to tell for sure, I would need the tire, unmounted, in my possession. Looking at the picture closely, this sidewall damage looks like a pinch shock, probable against an obstacle taken sideways at a 45 degree angle (like a curb during parking). It does not appear to have happened while you were driving when you experienced the Rapid Pressure Loss (unless you hit an obstacle like a pothole and did not report it). If you could provide me with additional pictures, it'd be nice to have a close-up of the rim protector, and around the impact, and some from the inside of the tire. This would probably help me determine the cause.

Back