• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

341 RWHP!!! FAST! =) 2002 NSX

So my little summer project is complete... I comptech supercharged, comptech headers, air kit, spring, sway bars.. and topped it all of with the Taitec JGTC exhaust.. and you have one bad ass NSX!! in the past two years i have owned: 2 diablos, 360 spider, 355, 996 turbo, m3, Lotus Esprit V8, Z8.. and this is by far the most fun to drive!! Really feels like a go-kart with its handling.. I couldn't be more happy with the Comptech supercharger.. it may not have the big numbers of the basch kit but for practical purposes I have the reliabiltiy of a stock car.. which I know is not the case with the Basch. Anyways I am excited about my car.. the only thing to do is go 9lb pulley kit at some point.. probably when the clutch goes.. which might not take long.

Uhhhh....Congrats on your new upgrades....But......

I don't think it's quite fair for you to criticize the BBSC's reliability.

Perhaps you mis-wrote what you meant to say, but as far as I know there's no indication whatsoever that there's any problems with reliability on the BBSC.

There have been ongoing upgrades and enhancements but Mark Basch has stood behind his product like no other developer, tuner or manufacturer that I know of.

Again, congratulations with your new upgrades.

Regards,
Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Sounds like you have a lot of money to throw around...that being the case why would reliability mean all that much? You've owned over a million dollars in cars...so why not get the most out of them?

My good friend has thehighest output Basch SC NSx in the country to date. Its a black 92 with 86,000 + miles. Car is putting down 403hp with 270tq. Car is VERY reliable. He drives it all the time and gets on it plenty. Car has Comptech headers, Grouppe M carbon intake and lots of other goodies. I really think you should have researched the BBSC a little more before spending more money on the Comptech...I know Comptech is an awesome company...but if you want power Basch Boost is the way to go.

BTW: my friends NSX made that power without the adjustable BOV or air to liquid aftercooler. So once those are installed more power will be made!

Regards.

Congrats! I agree, the NSX is better than most cars. Maybe not faster, but just a better tool.

How many miles did you decide to put on your car before supercharging?

Originally posted by 02NSX:
in the past two years i have owned: 2 diablos, 360 spider, 355, 996 turbo, m3, Lotus Esprit V8, Z8..

What? No MR2's?
smile.gif

Seriously though, while I don't think it is fair to call the BBSC unreliable, there is no doubt of the long term reliability of the comptech unit. Nobody knows how the BBSC will perform a year down the road, or what kind of effect it will have on the engine. ( I am sure it will be fine).

It sounds like you have had a lot of awesome cars. I would be interested in a mini review of each.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 23 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 23 August 2002).]

nsxlover,

Yeah, I guess you're wrong. And I suppose you owe Mark Basch an apology for spreading a vicious rumor. Why wouldn't you check before writing something like that?

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005046.html

Mark's reply is about halfway down the thread. Here's some partial quotes...

"...For the record, no NSX that I have either worked on, or SC'd, mine or someone else's, has had any engine or other fires..."

"...In case anyone is looking for the loophole in my words, let me make it a bit clearer- There has been no fire, no burned parts from heat or flames, no damage outside of an engine anywhere on any NSX that I have worked on. I stand behind my work, and my customers stand behind me..."

"...What HAS happened to my car, and my car only, is that a valve cover leaked, and leaked oil all over the exhaust same as FX reports happened to Jon's car some time before the fire. At the time, I was running somewhere between 10 and 11 psi boost and had done nothing to vent the crankcase. Jon was running almost 9 psi at the time, and was doing so on the oldest beta kit still in commision. (the only beta kits out of commission are the ones I updated as a courtesy to my testers who are also friends. They got the new, better looking parts because I always promised them they would get them as soon as they were available. In reality, ONE beta car had a failure- a bearing in the drive unit of BZ's car. Also, we replaced many parts either because failure seemed imminent, or the part was not robust enough for my liking- like the drive unit itself) More on beta in a moment. Jons car is also running a brand of syn oil I have never heard of, and zero weight at that. I do not know what effect this may have had, but I see in my shop a Honda XXXXX with a valve cover or oil pan dripping oil PRECISELY on top of the exhaust system EVERY DAY, and have never seen or heard of a flash or fire occuring. I can post dozens of pictures of headers with burned oil CAKED on them, and still no flames. In fact, when my own car developed a leaky VC gasket, (at 11 psi with no provisions for 11 psi) I drove it home that way (because I had to) blowing a continuous oil spray right on to the headers, and still no flames. I used approx 1 qt of oil every 20 miles, and still no flames. Jons situation makes no sense as I understand it. After the fire, weeks after in fact, FX was still scheduling my car for more chip work, so I hope no one suggests there is a connection between the events...."

Please people, give some thought about things before posting untruths that could damage someone's reputation. I'm frankly disgusted that a fair number of the posts on this forum that were critical of the BBSC were made by people who had an interest (either directly or indirectly) in a competitive system. I'm not saying that this is the case with this post, but that's the problem with rumors and innuendo. They spread and grow and take on a life of their own.

Jim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 23 August 2002).]

Dude,
you need to chill the hell out. I said I may be wrong. I did not hear the rest of the postings about the fire. And you are right MARK BASCH I appologize.

I may be wrong, but I think installing the Comptech S/C on his 2002 wasn't such a bad idea because it doesn't invalidate the warranty. (I'm assuming its a 2002 model from his username).

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T : Dali Street/Race SwayBars

Originally posted by Soulstice:
I may be wrong, but I think installing the Comptech S/C on his 2002 wasn't such a bad idea because it doesn't invalidate the warranty. (I'm assuming its a 2002 model from his username).

The Warranty is not "voided" when you install any aftermarket part on the car. Acura can, however, deny warranty repair for any problem that was caused by the aftermarket part.

This is the same for ANY aftermarket part from ANY company.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 23 August 2002).]

Originally posted by Lud:
The Warranty is not "voided" when you install any aftermarket part on the car. Acura can, however, deny warranty repair for any problem that was caused by the aftermarket part.

This is the same for ANY aftermarket part from ANY company.

So then I did hear incorrectly. The guy I bought my car from had another new NSX that he S/Ced with Comptech. His reasons for spending the extra dough for going CT was that his warraty would be safe. I just assumed this was the same kind of deal like when you go with TRD parts with a Toyota.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T : Dali Street/Race SwayBars

Yes, you heard incorrectly. Acura does not have a warranty agreement with any aftermarket parts company like Toyota does with TRD or Ford does with Saleen, etc.

HOWEVER, it is possible for an Acura DEALER, who may also be a Comptech reseller, to write their OWN warranty on the car and cover it with the Comptech parts. This would be in addition to the factory warranty, however, and you would have to bring the car back to that dealer for any related issues. Maybe that was the situation with this guy.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 23 August 2002).]

"...it may not have the big numbers of the basch kit but for practical purposes I have the reliabiltiy of a stock car.. which I know is not the case with the Basch..."

Lud,

I do not believe there's any way that the above statement can be construed as simply meaning the CTSC is a reliable kit. I also think that in my first post, I gave 02NSX, the benefit of the doubt and was in no way "bent out of shape."

BTW, I agree, I do think the CTSC is reliable. However, this person clearly brought into question the reliability of the BBSC.

I also agree that the BBSC is new and time will be the ultimate test, but when someone makes the claim that they KNOW that the BBSC is NOT as reliable, then I think that's not quite right. It's a big difference to say the reliability of something is unknown, versus, I know that something is NOT reliable.

With regard to nsxlover's comments...I'm not a "Dude", nor do I have to "chill the hell out."

You did say you may be wrong and you were, but that's how rumors start and spread. Just by putting a disclaimer on the front of your comment doesn't make it any less damaging of a comment if it's not true. The damage is done and the rumor spreads.

I can understand if you didn't read Mark's comments on the fire, but isn't that all the more reason to be careful in your post?

It would be like me saying..."I might be wrong, but isn't XYZ a child molester?" People don't read or remember the disclaimer, they remember the rumor. Before I would say or write anything so potentially damaging, I would certainly be sure to check my facts beforehand. Is that something so terrible to ask of someone?

Look, guys, I don't want to beat this to death, but one of the things that bugs me on this list is the cavalier attitude about making such comments. Perhaps, as a business owner, I'm more sensitive to these kind of off-hand comments, but I don't think there's anything wrong in setting the record straight and being extra careful about posts that can damage someone's reputation and hurt their business.

I can go back over the record and find dozens of innuendo-laden posts against the BBSC, that in retrospect were made by people with a direct or indirect vested interest in a competitive forced induction system. That's not right or proper and it's bugged me for sometime now. Perhaps that's another reason for my concern in accuracy in reporting.

I think my points are still valid, but I'll shut up now.

Regards,
Jim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 23 August 2002).]

So my little summer project is complete... I comptech supercharged, comptech headers, air kit, spring, sway bars.. and topped it all of with the Taitec JGTC exhaust.. and you have one bad ass NSX!! in the past two years i have owned: 2 diablos, 360 spider, 355, 996 turbo, m3, Lotus Esprit V8, Z8.. and this is by far the most fun to drive!! Really feels like a go-kart with its handling.. I couldn't be more happy with the Comptech supercharger.. it may not have the big numbers of the basch kit but for practical purposes I have the reliabiltiy of a stock car.. which I know is not the case with the Basch. Anyways I am excited about my car.. the only thing to do is go 9lb pulley kit at some point.. probably when the clutch goes.. which might not take long.

Congrats on the purchase! We have been running the CTSC with a shot of nitrous for quite sometime now and love it. Even without the shot we are producing about 360rwhp and 255ft/lbs on a 93' 3.0 liter. Have fun and always...

Speed Safely,

Factor X Motorsports www.factorxmotorsports.com

Geez not making fun of anyones mom or anything.. just the people that did the install told me that the bach was still in the R&D phase and has not been carb certified and therefore could struggle to pass emissions.. I picked the comptech soley for warranty.

So my little summer project is complete...

...in the past two years i have owned: 2 diablos, 360 spider, 355, 996 turbo, m3, Lotus Esprit V8, Z8.. and this is by far the most fun to drive!! Really feels like a go-kart with its handling.. I couldn't be more happy with the Comptech supercharger..

Hi 02NSX and every body!

Congratulations for your project!

In only two years you owned all these fine cars?

do you still own them and /or what happened?

If it is not too much undelicate...

How does your new NSX compares with your Diablos?

and the 996 TT?

Fun to read you saying that you prefer the NSX...

such a fantastic allround performer.

I recently drove a 6,0 L Diablo and to be honest even though I want one, I prefer the NSX engine sound ( more musical for my ears ) and its ergonomy and vision trough its huge glass area, not to mention its nicer cockpit design.

In a Diablo you feel very much to be hiden in a kind of dark cavern and forget about easily reading your speedometer with such small and almost touching each others speed numbers. It is also not so natural to be completely comfortable with the shifter handling wich feels mechanically heavy and kind of tricky to operate trough the gates...

For sure, compared with a 3,0 L NSX, the Lamborghini is definitely quicker and also in a totally different league regarding top speed...

But it is not enough to stop me dreaming of having one. So much attractive and seductive.

There is also magic in only opening its door and getting in or out of it!

As I already wrote, it is one of the very few cars in this world that represents the quintessence of real exotic.

For me the NSX also proudly stands in this category! So I am not in a bad situation though!
smile.gif

effer

Why must just the mention of the the Basch unit spark so much controversy...02NSX didn't say anything inflamatory...he just said the unit isn't proven yet...these things just take time, it isn't the fault of anybody...so damn, just chill out people.

Humanoid,

At the risk of beating this subject even more...

You're incorrect, 02NSX just didn't say the BBSC was unproven...He said...

"...I have the reliabiltiy of a stock car.. which I know is not the case with the Basch..."

If you can't see the difference...well...then go have a great weekend!
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------

When I read the first post, I inferred that he was saying the Basch unit is not as reliable as a stock NSX but the Comptech is.

"I have the reliabiltiy of a stock car.. which I know is not the case with the Basch."

I don't know how else you could interpret this statement above?

Kenric

Okay, I have to chime in. While Comptech is a great company with a solid, yet pricey, line of aftermarket products for the NSX, they are not infallable. I have a friend who has had not one but two Comptech SC's replaced due to bearing failure. I think it's reasonable to say that anytime you "enhance" the performance of a drivetrain to the extent that the popular forced induction methods do on our cars you have to accept that somehow, someway you are losing some degree of reliability. The equation still holds, if you want to play you've got to pay!

Back