• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

355GTB or NSX NA2

Which would you rather?
I am looking at a nice 355, and am selling my NSX...would you think its a good thing or a bad?

I like the 355 alot, but Nina has been good to me.
confused.gif

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

my brother has a 355 spyder and I had the chance to drive the car around for the weekend.

these are my quick thoughts on the car...

Positive attributes:

the car looks great, sounds un-real above 4K rpm, handles great, great status symbol, and very quick...

down side:

if you have big feet, it can be a pain to drive.
$20/Quart oil and $450 oil changes,
(With time as a variable, staying constant) every 1K miles you drive the car = $1-2K in depreciation in value (if you are lucky)
if anything needs service, you must take it to a certified Ferrari dealer, vs a NSX you can get it serviced in any moderately sized city (since Acura dealerships are everywhere)
The timing belt needs to be changed at 30K miles and the entire engine needs to removed.

So basically, if you can afford to drive, maintain the car, and could care less about depreciation, then by all means buy one! otherwise, keep the NSX. It's Italian design, vs Japanese Engineering.

At the end of the weekend, I was much happier to be driving my NSX on a daily basis. It's much less of a headache and if you worry much about your NSX now, just wait until you have a Ferrari.

but to each, his own...

Allen

I like the looks of the 355 a little better than the NSX (or even the 360). Aside from the points raised by Allen above, the 355 (around 300 RWHP with a flat torque curve not unlike the NSX) has moderately more RWHP than a late model NSX and less RWHP than an NSX with any of common SCs installed. Sounds good though...

The 355 is probably more similar to the NSX than any other car around (except another NSX, of course).

Why would you sell an NSX for something so similar to it, but a lot more expensive?

confused.gif

You've already had an NSX, try something a little different (sounds like you want to anyway). If you do end up with a Ferrari, please let us know how you like it compared to the NSX.

fwiw I've only driven the spyder and its feel and acceleration are too similar to matter ,imo it did have noticible cowl shake more than my targa with roof off.It has a more exotic( read less comfortable)interior.

Hayashi still has that nice piece on his opinion regarding a nice 355 versus an NSX online here:
http://www.nsxfiles.com/fcar.htm

The line that sums it up best for me:

"If you want to drive the most exhilarating street car in the world under $250,000, pick the F355 GTS F1. The sound and sensations that this car produces cannot be beat. (Yes, I have briefly driven a 911 TT, a Diablo, and a Viper. Doesn’t even come close to the Ferrari F355 GTS F1 "experience")"

But echoing what others have written in this thread already, you better have the cash ready to support the maintenance on a 355, otherwise you may not own it long.

[This message has been edited by MAKO (edited 12 December 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The 355 is probably more similar to the NSX than any other car around (except another NSX, of course).

Why would you sell an NSX for something so similar to it, but a lot more expensive?

confused.gif

Thats what I am trying to figure out. The MAJOR thing for me so far is the F1 trany....me like, me like much
biggrin.gif

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

Back