• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

360 Modena vs. NSX

Which car would you buy?

• Total voters
Well I'll be damned :D I guess I should have read all the posts before I posted but I still stand by my points.

How many miles are you logging a year. And maybe I am right to a point and people are finally getting it that modern Ferrari's are reliable and not expensive to maintain so maybe we will see high mileage cars and people willing to trade them.
Hey Steve,

I put on 6.5k miles during past year, car currently has 18k miles. I have to drive it everyday, it is just too fun. My friend has a 360 F1 daily driver and he is currently at 74k miles. For comparison I put 12k miles on my NSX during 6 years of my nsx ownership. Now that I am a little older, I realized that a car is just a car, enjoy it while we are still alive.

BTW: do you still trade? I just passed the series 3 exam recently and became a licensed commodity futures broker. I trade a lot of options now days, far superior than stocks IMO.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

I put on 6.5k miles during past year, car currently has 18k miles. I have to drive it everyday, it is just too fun. My friend has a 360 F1 daily driver and he is currently at 74k miles. For comparison I put 12k miles on my NSX during 6 years of my nsx ownership. Now that I am a little older, I realized that a car is just a car, enjoy it while we are still alive.

BTW: do you still trade? I just passed the series 3 exam recently and became a licensed commodity futures broker. I trade a lot of options now days, far superior than stocks IMO.

I also put way more miles on the Ferrari than on the NSX and for the same reasons you state. Good to hear your F is getting used. Mine was too, up to the baby coming. Used the car daily but now with 3 people, one more coming, and even less free time.....

I'm still trading away, Level 5 account, I perfer options only.

From what I have been reading on Fchat, 360 owners don't really need to change the belts every 3 years as the factory recommends. If your mileage is within specs, no reason a timing belt shouldn't last 5-6 years. Do you agree? I remember an NSX mechanic who told me he has NEVER seen an NSX timing belt break. Hopefully the 360's belt is similarly durable, as I want one some day. And I want to track it. But I do plan on keeping my NSX.

Other than the timing belt, the 360 seems to have issues with the F1 transmission, more so than the 6-speed.

I noticed quite a few 360's had numerous smog failures listed on the carfax (failed every 2 yrs in Cal). Is it a common issue and what the remedies are?

I bought a 05 Long Beach Blue Pearl/Blue NSX #221 and put 24K on it in two years and made it to 1 NSXPO.

The NSX is a fantastic car and stands on its own. It does not need to compete with anything, since there really is nothing like it. The NSX community is fantastic and those two years were priceless due to the whole ownership experience.

I have always wanted a Ferrari (just in the blood I guess) and I bet most folks on this board also feel the same way. I am in the fortunate position to own an F430 and I can tell you it is more than I could have ever dreamed of/for.

Just like the NSX, it is a unique experience to be savored.

The Ferrari also stands on its own and does not need to compete with anything. I miss my NSX and will add one back to my collection, but it would be a low mileage 05 and I will pay the premium for one of the last of its breed. It is a timeless and beautiful design that few people will get to experience.

If you need to think about the cost of Ferrari maintenance, then do not consider the Ferrari. They are more reliable then we have misled ourselves to believe, but there is a notable cost to ownership and that is just the way it is.

Every model is getting better and I consider the F430 a DD. If you have not been in one or driven one, then I cannot express in words how fulfilling it is to be in and around. It is a rare privilege and I am willing to pay the price both figuratively and literally.

In the end, enjoy the NSX, it is the best kept secret in the automotive world and it does not need to be defended.

As a car nut, you owe it to yourself to experience a Ferrari just so you know what it really is………Steve

BTW-----it aint ugly in any way in person :D

Attachments

• DSC_0102.jpg
    DSC_0102.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
^ Thanks for sharing. Have you test driven a 360CS? I wonder how that compares to your car. I heard it is two different animal.

I used to get a real hard-on for exotics like FCars, and when I was offered an '04 360 for $65K (5K miles) I ultimately passed. Funny thing about being a car nut is once you get the car you want, there's always another dream car on the horizon. If the 360 is your end-all dream car, then just do it!

But for me, I've come to realize that I already own a very special car. With the new economy outlook, I feel blessed to still be able to own, keep, & throw money into my NSX:wink:

Last edited:
Doc

I thought you were selling your NSX or sold it.

It sure seems like the NSX is like the mafia.
"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in"

I noticed quite a few 360's had numerous smog failures listed on the carfax (failed every 2 yrs in Cal). Is it a common issue and what the remedies are?

The remedy is to drive the car. If you let the 360 sit it will fail smog EVERY TIME. Drive the car ~100 miles and it will clear all the codes, just like any other car does. Pretty common problem with any car if you don't drive it enough. My 360 failed smog every spring when I took it out of storage. I drove it 100 miles and it passed. You have to do a mixture of city, country, and highway driving for the codes to clear. The CEL light will NOT be on but the codes are there until you DRIVE the car. Once again I think the newer Ferrari's are excellent cars if they are driven often.

I bought a 05 Long Beach Blue Pearl/Blue NSX #221 and put 24K on it in two years and made it to 1 NSXPO.

The NSX is a fantastic car and stands on its own. It does not need to compete with anything, since there really is nothing like it. The NSX community is fantastic and those two years were priceless due to the whole ownership experience.

I have always wanted a Ferrari (just in the blood I guess) and I bet most folks on this board also feel the same way. I am in the fortunate position to own an F430 and I can tell you it is more than I could have ever dreamed of/for.

Just like the NSX, it is a unique experience to be savored.

The Ferrari also stands on its own and does not need to compete with anything. I miss my NSX and will add one back to my collection, but it would be a low mileage 05 and I will pay the premium for one of the last of its bread. It is a timeless and beautiful design that few people will get to experience.

If you need to think about the cost of Ferrari maintenance, then do not consider the Ferrari. They are more reliable then we have misled ourselves to believe, but there is a notable cost to ownership and that is just the way it is.

Every model is getting better and I consider the F430 a DD. If you have not been in one or driven one, then I cannot express in words how fulfilling it is to be in and around. It is a rare privilege and I am willing to pay the price both figuratively and literally.

In the end, enjoy the NSX, it is the best kept secret in the automotive world and it does not need to be defended.

As a car nut, you owe it to yourself to experience a Ferrari just so you know what it really is………Steve

BTW-----it aint ugly in any way in person :D

Any way to quote some costs? Yearly or miles wise please :biggrin:

Doc

I thought you were selling your NSX or sold it.

It sure seems like the NSX is like the mafia.
"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in"

Matt- I've already been there & done that once. My current NSX has so much $$$ into it that selling it would be for chump change. BTW- a new black GTR would make a great garage mate.

You will find a lot of good info on FerrariChat to help answer your question.

But with the F430, I am going to put 3-5K miles a year, so around $1K a year for regular annual maintenance and $3K for a 15K maintenance.

The only real hit will be F1 clutch replacement from $3-$6K depending on how far you need to go. My car has 8K on it and has 25% wear.

Tires and gas who gives a poop.

So unless something really ugly happens ($10-$20K) I don't think the cost of admission is very high for the remarkable experience that you get :D.......Steve

Last edited:

I had my car for around four years. I spent ~three grand on repairs, oil changes, details etc. I just sold the car last week it needs tires and a tune up so I priced the car accordingly for that work to be done. I looked at what they were going for and then subtracted the cost of tires and a belt service then added a couple thousand more.

Here's the rub though IMO. Once the car is at the shop I am SURE the shop will 'find' other repairs that they will try and sell to the new owner because they always do. I bought the 360 with a fresh service and I enjoyed it as a perfect car that had just been serviced. I never took it in for anything with the exception of oil changes. So while I owned the car it was perfect in my mind because no one had given me a list of shit that they wanted to fix in order to make money AND also cloud my mind and make me think about all the little things that were possibly broke that I didn't know about. This is why I DID NOT have the belt service done and never would. You take the car in for a simple belt service and the service center points out EVERY FLAW. If you don't get all the flaws fixed you feel like the car is a POS. I had a PPI done on my car in order to sell it. I told the buyer and the service shop I DID NOT want to know anything that was on the PPI OR that anything on the PPI could be used to negotiate price. SO if I had kept the car I wouldn't be driving around worrying about all the things that came up on the PPI. It's also why I always had someone else detail the car. I don't want to know where the stone chips are. It's all frame of mind!

^ Thanks for sharing. Have you test driven a 360CS? I wonder how that compares to your car. I heard it is two different animal.

Since my wife was really pissed that I was getting the car. I thought the 360CS would be over the top for her. And in the end, I need her to like cars like these since I want more of them.

So I figured the F430 with F1 would be a good starting point. The day I went to get it she was so pissed.

When she heard me come down the block and saw it, she immediatly smiled and said lets go for a ride.

Two minutes into the ride she said let me drive. I have to hide the keys or she will take it down to the grocery store every day. :eek:

So it all worked out :D........Steve

Last edited:
Matt- I've already been there & done that once. My current NSX has so much $$$ into it that selling it would be for chump change. BTW- a new black GTR would make a great garage mate.

Yes, it would. :smile:

I've been thinking of beginning the process to part out my nsx but like you, it hurts to think of all of the money spent to get to where I'm at.

That's enough digressing. Back to the thread.

Jason (NSXSUPRA) bought a 1999 360 with only 9K miles for a very reasonable price, and he drives that thing almost everyday. So far it has been very low key for him.

I used to get a real hard-on for exotics like FCars, and when I was offered an '04 360 for $65K (5K miles) I ultimately passed. Funny thing about being a car nut is once you get the car you want, there's always another dream car on the horizon. If the 360 is your end-all dream car, then just do it!

But for me, I've come to realize that I already own a very special car. With the new economy outlook, I feel blessed to still be able to own, keep, & throw money into my NSX:wink:

Wow an 04 360 NSX is for "only" 65k!!!! how could this be?

Even at wholesale these cars are not that cheap....unless you had a special deal with your friend.

Wow an 04 360 NSX is for "only" 65k!!!! how could this be?

Even at wholesale these cars are not that cheap....unless you had a special deal with your friend.

Rick -pm me for the details. I was told it's a one owner car, but needs a clutch ($5K repair). Still at $70K + new clutch it's a bargain. The owner has been forced to liquidate his assets due to filing BK 7.

Rick -pm me for the details. I was told it's a one owner car, but needs a clutch ($5K repair). Still at $70K + new clutch it's a bargain. The owner has been forced to liquidate his assets due to filing BK 7.

Hey Larry, can you let me know more details on that 04 360? I tried to PM you but it didn't let me for some reason. Thanks!

Back