• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3M Clear Bra Film for the entire car?

Has anyone used the 3M Clear Bra film or any other similar product to cover the entire car? I know a lot of lambo, f-car, custom rods do the entire car in film. I would also think everything would match up better if you did the whole car instead of just the front fascia and sideview mirrors. Without the clear film rock chips would eventually litter the car over time and the labor for repaint would be more in the long run. I think the hard part would be to find a reputable shop that has done this and has experience. Anybody here with any experiences, opinions, etc?

Maybe it is only me, but a complete coverage of a vehicle seems like overkill. MAybe if I owned a Lambo I would feel different.

I think the price of a full cover would be enough to dissuade me from doing it. Just the front end is expensive enough as it is. Also, while the car is a classic, it's not a Picasso that needs to be completely preserved.

JMO

What kinds of prices are you guys paying for for the basic front coverage parts and labor?

I was thinking that the film would also offer some sort of paint fading protection so if it was only applied on a few areas of the car and decided to pull it off a few years later that the paint wouldn't quite match. Any thoughts?

The quote I got for the front end was around $800 - maybe that's high, but that was the 3M treatment. Needless to say, since my car is a 95 and already has some wear, I passed. It might make more sense for a brand new car. I was told that you could remove the film later and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference in the paint, but I can't verify that.

The guy that owns the Clear Bra shop here drives a silver RL. He has the entire car down. You can't even tell unless you look really close. I think the fact that it's silver helps alot in hiding it as well. I think it's overkill for a car like that, but he owns the shop so I doubt it really cost him anything to do. A guy I worked with got parts of his boat trailer and the front hull of his new Cobalt done as well. Looked really good and really protected it while towing it down the highway.

3M dealers

anyone know of any shops in the new england area?
also, do they use custom templates? or can they apply them to any shape/size?

ie. having a different front bumper

thanks!

Not sure of any shops in your area, but the shops can do any odd shape that you want. As far as I know, the material does not come from the factory pre cut for each specific car.

http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/shop.asp?branch=1207

This company has pre cut kits.
1991 - 2001 Acura NSX
StonGard Paint Protection, Kit #001003095

StonGard for 1991-2001 Acura NSX, Full kit .
$569.95 Not including install.

StonGard for 1991-2001 Acura NSX, Partial kit .
$364.95

There are companys that wrap around the edge of your car, but that is a custom cut.
Its alot more money, and you tend to get a few bubbles around the fold.

Why I am not happy with it:
- Dust stick to the edges and alcohol is recommended to wipe it off. Alcohol also strips the wax.
- Warranty is only up to 5 years.
- A good size pebble nicked the clear armor in the bumper area and still scratched my paint.
- Needs a special 3M wax to remove the haze.

pixelhaus: There is a business in Greenwich Ct. that applies this product (3M). A customer of mine went there and did his Porsche
C4 Cab. with it and, it was a excellent job. Not a single bubble. It was not the entire vehicle and I don't know if it will haze, yellow etc. or if it will blister if dug by a large enough stone.
He lives in Poultney, VT and I usually only see him when he has a problem or wants something special done. He sometimes swings through on the way to NYC and stops in to say hello. I want to check this stuff out after a good Vermont winter and will keep you posted if he does come by.

FYI for those in the Bay/Sacto area

Just a heads up before you start taking those nice scenic drives .......... and especially to those who constantly drive in the three digits ........

Niello Acura has a promotion going on now on the 3M Clear Coat Premium Kit. I was at the dealership and saw the 3M certified technician apply it on a 2004 Carrera 4S; its a full day job. They prep the surfaces and where needed even use touch up paint to cover any obvious rock chips. The key in having this done right is in the prep work and the technician's mastery. The promotional price for the NSX based on a group commitment is $600 installed plus sales tax. The price seems to be very competitive given the above posts.

See the details of the Premium Kit at: http://www.cleararmorinc.com/products/kitsdisplay.php?car_make=Acura&car_model=NSX

One thing the technician noted, it takes about 4 weeks for the film to settle and lose that initial haze which is due to the initial moisture being trapped after the application. This is more noticeable on darker cars.

Niello Acura is a sponsor of the Sacramento Chapter of the NSXCA, and NSXPO 2003.

Where in Los Angeles area?

Hello,
I would like to get my whole car covered with thee 3M clear film but would they do a on a customized body Nsx? If so, where do I get those and installed in Southern California?

93B18 said:
What kinds of prices are you guys paying for for the basic front coverage parts and labor?

I was thinking that the film would also offer some sort of paint fading protection so if it was only applied on a few areas of the car and decided to pull it off a few years later that the paint wouldn't quite match. Any thoughts?

I'm paying around $800 as well for a premium kit. That includes labor as well. He said it will take half a day to a day to do.

On 3M's website it says it will not fade the paint because it lets UV rays throught the film to allow the paint underneath to age normally with the rest of the paint on the car.

The guy that will be doing mine has done TWO other NSX's as well. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm going to check them out.

huyduchoang said:
geez this stuff is expensive. It doesn't cost that much to produce.

800 dollars would be a barging compared to the cost of having the front of my BMW repainted 3 times now. Not to mention the hassles of drop off, pick up, and down time. I would put this coating on the nose of the BMW now except I just had it repainted and it is already chipped in 3 places again within 2 weeks.:rolleyes: :mad:

Just had 3M Invisible Bra installed today

And I must say it looks great! I was wowed. The guy that did it is very good, and he's done 2 other NSX's as well. You can't tell until you're right up on it. I had the premium kit put on, bumper, hood, light covers, side mirrors etc. I'll post pics...

Curious, did they cover the entire hood or only to the edge of the pop up lights. I did not get a chance to ask at the time. The Premium Kit notes that the hood is included but their picture does not reflect the entire hood.

Hrant said:
Curious, did they cover the entire hood or only to the edge of the pop up lights. I did not get a chance to ask at the time. The Premium Kit notes that the hood is included but their picture does not reflect the entire hood.

The guy I used, he used kits from two places. The hood kit came from X-PEL and it comes up about 3 inches above where the popup covers stop! Very GOOD coverage for the hood. And for my bumper he used Invinca-shield which as ONE piece so no seams. Like I said I'll take some pictures....

Hello Timothyaw,
Do you have a original body Nsx? What year is your Nsx by the way? Can they install these 3m clear films on a Nsx that has a widebody Nsx? Please let me know or if you can ask your installer for more details. Than you for sharing. Andy C

Nsxboy3 said:
Hello Timothyaw,
Do you have a original body Nsx? What year is your Nsx by the way? Can they install these 3m clear films on a Nsx that has a widebody Nsx? Please let me know or if you can ask your installer for more details. Than you for sharing. Andy C

Nsxboy3, I do have the original body NSX, 2001. I'm not familiar with the "widebody" NSX. What parts of the car are different than the stock car? If anything you can always have your installer(PROFESSIONAL, one that has several years of experience) cut a kit specifically for your car or the parts that are differenet from stock. Let me know which parts are different from stock and I'll check with my installer.

I'm having my car Clear Bra'ed' here in the cleveland area next week. I'm paying $567 for two kits (hood approx 3 inches past lights, lights, fendersm bumper and mirrors) and installation. I'll let everyone know how it goes for those interested in northern ohio.

Matt

Back