• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3M Clear Bra Film for the entire car?

Any type of plastic material adhered to paint with an adhesive worries me for the long term. How long has this stuff been around and is it indeed a plastic adhered with adhesive?

tucsonsx said:
Any type of plastic material adhered to paint with an adhesive worries me for the long term. How long has this stuff been around and is it indeed a plastic adhered with adhesive?

I'm not sure of EXACTLY how it works, but I've heard its safe for all finishes of cars. It lasts about 5-7 years and when you pull it off it comes right off easily. They say its been tested for years with no problems. I'll find out 5 to 7 years from now :)

timothyaw said:
The guy I used, he used kits from two places. The hood kit came from X-PEL and it comes up about 3 inches above where the popup covers stop! Very GOOD coverage for the hood. And for my bumper he used Invinca-shield which as ONE piece so no seams. Like I said I'll take some pictures....

Here is a picture, I'm telling you a camera just isn't good as the human eye to see where the bra "line" is. You have to be RIGHT up on the car to see it. Its working beautifully. I now feel more comfortable about driving it around without fear of the front end getting sand blasted.

Attachments

• clearbra.jpg
    clearbra.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 581
Just a little warning: I intended to use this 3M clear bra too but first spoke with some experts. They said that I would have some problems in the long run. The paint would suffer by the heat generated by the sun shining through the bra. This heat is some kind of held back by the bra so the paint can't cool down as usual. This would make the paint look different in the long run comparing to the parts without bra.

2nd problem experienced was with removing the bra after a long time. It didn't come off as easy as advertised. Sometimes it even took parts of the paint with it.

I'm not the first source for this info - I just heard it and didn't see it - so don't bash me if it's rubbish in your eyes.

Last edited:
I have VentureShield on my car and I think it looks better than the 3M product, less orange peel. They make two different thicknesses and I have the thicker 6 mil., I think.

Make sure to check out the work of the installer before you get the work done. I ended up with a whole batch of tiny cut marks I am going to need to get fixed from where they trimmed the film on the paint.:mad: The guys are being good about it, but I was pretty bummed out when I saw the cuts. Mine is the only car I have seen that has this issue, but the black finish shows every little defect.

Back