• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91-93 NSX vs S2000

Ok, yes yes.. The NSX is faster than the S2000.. And, yes, they are differen't breeds of car.. But, I am simply looking to get a true sports car that is fun to drive as my summer daily driver and have come up with this list: (in no particular order)

Boxster
NSX
S2000

I have always loved the Porsches, but it seems like the quintessential yuppie car, and it has lost its panache to me.

So, that leaves the NSX and the S2000. I have ridden in an S2000 on an autocross course and I was floored by how well it handled. The car could accelerate through tight sections where I thought for sure it would spin... Granted, an s2k would have an advantage over the NSX in this tight environment.

In a comparison of the NSX vs the S2000, I recognize they are different breeds of car, but for those of you that have driven both, what are your thoughts???

Jeremy

Using the search shows that there are already fifteen other topics in this forum (New & Prospective Owners / Car History / Comparisons) with either S2000 or S2K in their titles. Have you read those yet?

Wasn't all S2000 were bumped to A-Stock laping times faster than A-Stock on last year's nationals? S2K is an awesome car and i'd go with the newer 2.2L if you plan to go that route.

NSX looks 10X better in my opinion. I'd make sure you get one with the snap ring fix and proper maintanced.

I owned an 2001 S2000 before my current 02 NSX.

If you autocross, you will likely find that the S2000 is a more competitive car than the NSX. I find that there is a great deal of difference between the tossability of the two cars, favouring the S2000. All other courses would favour the NSX I think.

The shifter in the S2000 is also superior, IMO, to the one in my NSX, and would likely be meaniningfully superior to an early 90s NSX. Ive never driven a car with as good a shifter as what is in the S2000 - it is incredible!

I think that you will find that the early 90s NSX is a little faster below 100mph, but not a ton faster than a stock S2000. Once aerodynamics come into play, the NSX will pull away because the S2000 is not very aerodynamic.

I disagree with the above, Id go for a 2.0L with a 9K redline. The suspension on the more recent ones is a little softer, although there is slightly more torque. I thought the 9k redline was way cool - Id stick with that over the higher torque personally.

All that said, the NSX is 100x more exclusive. Its also 100x more exciting, IMO. An early 90s will be barely more expensive than an S2000, and will depreciate less.

If youre looking for a near term car, you will have a dramatically more difficult time finding the NSX you want compared to an S2000 that you want. If you cannot be patient, I believe that you will have as much fun in the S2000, but the experience will be different. S2000s are SUPER FUN cars. I loved mine, but those keys left my hands without remorse when I picked up my NSX. I couldnt be happier with my choice now.

SPA_S2000 read my mind. I own both cars and they're a blast to drive. Right now I'd have to say, I'm more confident with taking the S2000 to it's limits than I'm with the NSX. I just bought my NSX in January, so that may explain why.

The NSX is an awesome car for all the reasons you already know. It tends to understeer which is totally opposite of the tendencies of the S2k (oversteer).

The NSX will turn heads everywhere you go. From little kids on their bikes giving you the thumbs-up, to senior citizens saying "they'd rather own that than a Ferrari". Especially if your NSX is tastefully customized in appearance (wheels & suspension).

The S2k will always have a special place in my heart. I think that's why I'm struggling to get rid of it.

Like SPA_S2000 mentioned, definitely get the pre-'04 year with the tighter suspension and 9k redline.

Good Luck

I would choose an S2000 over a 91-93 NSX. I personally don't want a car 13+ years old. I generally think newer is better.

The S2000 does have a better gearbox than the NSX, which is already great as mentioned above. Also, I think the S2000 is more fun to drive on twistier road courses and around town. It's simply more agile than the NSX. I also think the brakes are better on the S2000. The S2000 is an overachiever. I would also go for the pre 2004 with the 2.0 motor. A big plus is the ability to lower the top on a nice day. Also, it is tons cheaper to maintain and replace parts. An early NSX has lots more deferred maintenance versus the modern S2000. However, the NSX is exotic looking and the S2000 is not. I think the primary things the NSX has going for it over the S2000 is rarity (not exclusive) and semi exotic looks.

Of the other cars you listed, I think a 99 996 Coupe would be a better choice than the early NSX as well the S2000, but it cost a little more. To me, it's worth the extra money.

In regards to the Boxster, the S version is the only one to consider. It is a very nice roadster as well, but I would definitely opt for the 996 coupe.

First of all, these are all excellent cars you are considering. However, due to the age (14 years old) of the NSX considered, I would probably consider the other cars first.

1. 996 coupe
2. Boxster S
3. S2000 2.0 liter
4. 91-93 NSX/993 tied

If you were considering a 97 NSX-T, I would probably put it at the top of the list. The 3.2 liter motor, six speed tranny, removable roof and other minor upgrades make the NSX-T much more desireable to me versus a 91-93.

Last edited:
I know and have driven all of these cars. Many of each.
I like the NSX the best and would take a 91-93 over any of them.
It is a superior car IMO.

CerberusM5 said:
I would choose an S2000 over a 91-93 NSX. I personally don't want a car 13+ years old. I generally think newer is better.

Newer is not better. Newer is only...newer. A 20 year old NSX is a much better car than a current S2000 anyday. Even a newer Boxster doesn't compare IMO. 90+% of NSX owners have purchased their cars used. They are a great used car and hold their value much better than most newer cars. Besides, all cars need maintenance not just used cars. And a warranty means you have to wait 3 years before you can start playing with it. Get the NSX, you won't regret it!!!!

I think the S2000 is a great car and would love to own one! However, if I could only have one, I know what my decision would be.

Last edited:
Owned a 99 Boxster prior to my 92 NSX. The Boxster was a good car, the NSX is a great car. The NSX has power, looks and high speed handling all over the Boxster. I considered many other cars prior to purchasing the NSX, I have never regreted the decission and intend to keep the car for years to come.
Additionally; the owners and especially the members of the NSX Club of America are the best "car enthusiasts" I have ever been associated with, an absolutly GREAT group of car owners.

SPA_S2000 said:
I owned an 2001 S2000 before my current 02 NSX.

If you autocross, you will likely find that the S2000 is a more competitive car than the NSX. I find that there is a great deal of difference between the tossability of the two cars, favouring the S2000. All other courses would favour the NSX I think.

The shifter in the S2000 is also superior, IMO, to the one in my NSX, and would likely be meaniningfully superior to an early 90s NSX. Ive never driven a car with as good a shifter as what is in the S2000 - it is incredible!

I think that you will find that the early 90s NSX is a little faster below 100mph, but not a ton faster than a stock S2000. Once aerodynamics come into play, the NSX will pull away because the S2000 is not very aerodynamic.

I disagree with the above, Id go for a 2.0L with a 9K redline. The suspension on the more recent ones is a little softer, although there is slightly more torque. I thought the 9k redline was way cool - Id stick with that over the higher torque personally.

All that said, the NSX is 100x more exclusive. Its also 100x more exciting, IMO. An early 90s will be barely more expensive than an S2000, and will depreciate less.

If youre looking for a near term car, you will have a dramatically more difficult time finding the NSX you want compared to an S2000 that you want. If you cannot be patient, I believe that you will have as much fun in the S2000, but the experience will be different. S2000s are SUPER FUN cars. I loved mine, but those keys left my hands without remorse when I picked up my NSX. I couldnt be happier with my choice now.

I owned a 2001 Silverstone on Red S2000 which I put 12K miles on the odo. before selling for a 2002 Spa Yellow Pearl. I wanted the glass rear window and back then, S2K's were still selling way above list. Because I bought both cars at MSRP, I was able to make the switch over for next to nothing. But alas... those glory days are gone.

I agree with Spa's comments above 100%. The S2K is an awesome car that, IMO, gets a bad rap all too often by numbnutted magazine racers that see the low torque rating and then poo poo the car. The gearbox is to die for, the handling is very good and the thing sounds great. Granted, I did find that the one time that I had a full trunk, the A/C on, and I was stuck in traffic, I could have used more torque. But I never got out of either car and didn't smile. I'm in the minority over on S2Ki but I don't like the way the "improved" 2.2L motor cars drive. I appreciate a little more down low but miss the thrill of the high RPM zing and the harder edge of the older suspsension.

If I were going to finance either car, I'll be honest and say that I'd probably buy a new, under warranty S2000. But I paid cash for my NSX and I haven't regretted the decision once.

Nice feedback guys..

Well, I have always been in love with the 911; I think every little boy is. Now that I'm a little older I still love the look, but it it seems so cliche. It certainly isn't an exotic.. It just feels like "the car to get" as a sports car. I suppose that is an odd way to look at it, but it seems like everyone under the sun has a 911.

I suppose what I am saying here is that the 911 is purchased more for it's panache than it's performance. It is a bit ironic that I am disliking it for this, reverse psychology in action? I don't know... Plainly, this car is often bought by people that aren't "car people", instead they are often purchased for status. I think that is why every little boy wants one, however.

At the same time I want something special... A true sports car.. The biggest problem I have with the S2K is that I don't really prefer the "roadster" style. If they made a coupe I would be all over it. Most things do point to the S2K, price, performance, "roadster"(I guess), maintainability. I know I would love driving it, but would I be excited to get in it after some time has passed?

No.. I think I want an NSX.. It is what I "feel" I want. I want one with manual steering; that would be so cool :)

-Jeremy

I've got a 2002 S2K and I would say that the S2K is the most fun car I have ever driven. It is amazing on the AutoX course where, yes, it was bumped a class for kicking too much ass. There is a gentleman here in San Diego who runs his Comptech SC NSX often and it sounds amazing but it's not a tight running car, which is why he got walked by a 1979 BMW 325. On the other hand, the NSX is an amazing track car and certainly has the prestige and the look. I have driven both cars in all styles and engine sizes. I would have to say for a day to day scheme or AutoX that the S2K is your choice. For any other reason, and I mean any, the NSX is the clear winner. The NSX has always been my dream car and I drool over them as often as I can. I simply can't afford one so I stick to the closest thing I can get, the S2K.

If your going for the S2K, please for the sake of all that is Honda, take the 2002-2003 model. It features the nicer interior than the earlier models, the glass rear window, the tighter suspension, and the 9k redline. The torque bump in the new models isn't anything to 'wow' over, trust me. I also don't like the new body stylings they have been given, my opinion of course. If your really worried about torque in the S2K go ahead and drop a SC on there. As far as the tranny goes the S2K is tops. Simply the nicest shifting car I have ever driven. Now, my Audi shifts smoother but it's a luxury shift, the S2K feels sporty and smooth. Looks great in a hardtop but I'm just a sucker for a conv.

Now on the NSX, I have no idea why but I seem to lean towards the `94, `97, or `99 model year. If I had the coin I would most certainly be picking up a nice `99 Zanardi, but that won't be happening. I prefer the t-top, see above, although I have nothing against the hardtop and love the sleek look of the matching roof. The NSX is the Holy Grail of cars for me and will always be my first choice. I love the sound of the Comptech exhaust. Those of you who own, know what I mean. I would love to come to a meet or drive sometime but I would feel feeble in my little S.

Enjoy your choice. Between here and S2KI you'll be taken care of well. Goodluck.

Re: Nice feedback guys..

jdc1687 said:
No.. I think I want an NSX.. It is what I "feel" I want. I want one with manual steering; that would be so cool :)

-Jeremy

Congrats on your decision. You definitely need to pick the one that excites your soul when you think about it and the NSX appears to be the one that does just that. We look forward to seeing pics of your NSX when you find the right one. Take care and congrats once again. :smile:

TitaniumVtec said:
A 20 year old NSX is a much better car than a current S2000 anyday. Even a newer Boxster doesn't compare IMO.

What?? How does it not compare?

Perhaps you're not a true enthusaist, and therefore a bit biased and uninformed, but the new Boxster S will absolutely slaughter the 3.2L NSX in any category you put it up against.

honda606 said:
What?? How does it not compare?

Perhaps you're not a true enthusaist, and therefore a bit biased and uninformed, but the new Boxster S will absolutely slaughter the 3.2L NSX in any category you put it up against.

Ditto.......

I drove a new Boxster S last weekend just for kicks when I was at the dealer. The Boxster is a very impressive car. It is one of the most well rounded cars I have ever driven. It does everything very well. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. The new exterior was attractive in my opinion. A nice improvement over the previous version.

2. The interior was great. I thought the quality went up 100% over the past version. It now looks like a $60k car on the inside. Guess what, no tape deck. :)

3. The car's acceleration felt almost comparable to my 04 NSX. It definitely felt more responsive down low. Keep in mind this car just had a couple of miles on the odo. Once broken in, I think it would be close. However, my money is still on my NSX, by a hair.

4. The shifter is better in the NSX.

5. Sorry to say this, but the Boxster S handles better than the NSX in my opinion. It has a lot less understeer, more solid and better turn in response. There is a lot less chassis flex in the Boxster.

6. In regards to the brakes, the Boxster's are superior to the NSX. Rock solid pedal feel.

Overall, it was a very nice car. It is a better value at $60k than the NSX at $85k in my personal opinion. However, if the NSX were properly priced at $70k, my answer would be different.

5. Sorry to say this, but the Boxster S handles better than the NSX in my opinion. It has a lot less understeer, more solid and better turn in response. There is a lot less chassis flex in the Boxster.

I am new to the NSX, but I have to assume the understeer is a result of the staggered tire widths. I don't know off the top of my head but I believe the fronts are 225 or 235 and the rears are 255.

A little bit of background:

The E36 M3 came out in 1995 with 235 all around the car, and many people got in trouble with oversteer because the car spun much more easily than most sports cars. However, the car did *not* have an oversteer problem; it was simply balanced. So, in 1996 with the slight redesign(ODBII, 3.2L motor), they also changed the tires, 225 front, 245 rear.

I have autocrossed in both configurations(M3), and it makes a huge difference in understeer. I will need to research this a bit, and hopefully drive some NSXs beyond their limits, but I full well plan to put larger width tires up front to be more balanced with the rears when I get my NSX.

-Jeremy

PS: I think it is important to go out and spin your car a few times on an autocross course :) Then you know for sure what you can't do!! My M3 has been pointing the wrong way more times than I care to mention, but never on the street; knock on wood.

The factory setup is 215 front and 255 rear.

I understand your comments of the tendency to understeer especially when a car has narrower front tires. However, most modern day sports car have staggered fitments. My last seven cars had staggered fitment (e36 M3 two ZO6s, 996 C2, 996 turbo, M5 and the NSX).

In my opinion, the NSX's front end washes out much too prematurely than anything else I've driven in quite some time. I think Honda dialed in too much understeer that even a inexperienced driver would have a difficult time losing this car. Even my M5 corners in the tight stuff much better than my NSX (granted it has full suspension work and other mods). Trust me, this comes as a shock to me when I first bought my NSX. This is a frustration that has bothered me since day one. I have slid every car (except the NSX) I have owned around many autocross and roadcourses, so I have a pretty good idea of car control. I actually use to actively autocross and track my ZO6s regularly and prior to that I was quite competitive in an e30 and e36 M3s years ago.

I have only driven one other 02+ NSX and do remember its handling characterisitics, but my car plows like a pig. I have also played with tire pressures, but that did not help much. This is why my posts of the NSX are not always rosy, but the truth. I think the best handling stock car I have driven recently is the GT3. That car responds lightning fast compared to my NSX and has minimal understeer. It circulates the same corners that I know like the back of my hand subtantially faster. I don't know the steady state cornering of both cars, but I would bet the GT3 is substantially higher.

I have considered the NSX-R suspension, but do not want the car to ride like a go-kart. I ridden in the pasenger seat of an NSX-R suspended car and it was brutally stiff. The suspension lacked compliance. I think this is where the Porsche shines in its ability to offer streetability with razor sharp reflexes and high conering limits. I am considering the Comptech Sport package, but am waiting to read some feedback prior to avoid disapointment. Unfortunately, the dreadful understeer which I find frustrating has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the car.

jdc1687 said:
I am new to the NSX, but I have to assume the understeer is a result of the staggered tire widths. I don't know off the top of my head but I believe the fronts are 225 or 235 and the rears are 255.

A little bit of background:

The E36 M3 came out in 1995 with 235 all around the car, and many people got in trouble with oversteer because the car spun much more easily than most sports cars. However, the car did *not* have an oversteer problem; it was simply balanced. So, in 1996 with the slight redesign(ODBII, 3.2L motor), they also changed the tires, 225 front, 245 rear.

I have autocrossed in both configurations(M3), and it makes a huge difference in understeer. I will need to research this a bit, and hopefully drive some NSXs beyond their limits, but I full well plan to put larger width tires up front to be more balanced with the rears when I get my NSX.

-Jeremy

PS: I think it is important to go out and spin your car a few times on an autocross course :) Then you know for sure what you can't do!! My M3 has been pointing the wrong way more times than I care to mention, but never on the street; knock on wood.

CerberusM5 said:
In my opinion, the NSX's front end washes out much too prematurely than anything else I've driven in quite some time. I think Honda dialed in too much understeer that even a inexperienced driver would have a difficult time losing this car.
I have only driven one other 02+ NSX and do remember its handling characterisitics, but my car plows like a pig. I have also played with tire pressures, but that did not help much.
It sounds to me like something might be wrong with your NSX, because that's not normal.

If you ever get the appropriate chance, you might try letting another, experienced NSX owner try driving your car...

Cerberus-

The 1991 NSX coupe is in stock form a very competitive automobile on a road course, to say nothing of the later car.

I have tracked my car in the company of many an M5 and have given up nothing to one yet. Good drivers in a relatively stock NSX can and have run low 2:40s at Road America, which is competitive with good drivers in relatively stock Z06s and faster than any similarly configured M5 or M3 I have seen. (Ask TBell or NSX 3.0, as they are out with a stopwatch every weekend, or anyone else who runs HPDEs at Road America).

I run 225s/255s on my car. I would like to be back to 265s in the rear, but my current rims can't go beyond 255s.

It simply rages at the race track. I don't know what else to say. At Road America, the NSX is very quick from Turn 6 to 14. Higher horsepower cars are not able to make up the difference on the straights, particularly with the higher exit speed of the NSX.

I don't think your NSX was set up appropriately for the track, as your experience seems atypical.

Back