• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91-95 NSX no PS

Not hard at all, I can still manage from a stop with a coke in one hand (pretty sure the 95's had PS)
-Mike

------------------
1994 Red/Black NSX #418
Forums Nazi Groupie

Hendu is right. According to the FAQ in '95 the NSXs came standard with power steering too. Also, from how it is phrased in the FAQ, it seems as though all automatics had power steering standard in '91-'94, but I'm not sure about this.

Ryan

------------------
NA1 NSX-T
- Comptech Headers
- NA2 Brake Upgrade
- Eibach Springs
- Bilstein Shocks
- Zanardi F&R Sway Bar
- '02 OEM Wheels

Having no power steering is kinda weird at first, but then you get used to it and you can parallel park with just 6" clearance on the front and back of your car (if you want to park that close to someone).

Originally posted by RyRy210:
According to the FAQ in '95 the NSXs came standard with power steering too. Also, from how it is phrased in the FAQ, it seems as though all automatics had power steering standard in '91-'94, but I'm not sure about this.

That's correct.

Also, the Zanardi edition in 1999 did not have power steering.

Originally posted by madfast:
...so is it really hard? or it's managable?

I had my '91 for about 6 months before I realized it didn't have power steering (and I learned that fact from these forums). It is quite easy to drive.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

The front end is so light that power steering is not needed. I'm suprized that they added it, putting more weight on the car. If you did not know, you would not even realize it.

oh ok...so it's not that bad huh...gotta drive one to check it out. want to buy a 92 with 39k miles for $26k. I am abit suspicious though...havent seen the car yet

I like the fact that there is no power steering on my 94. Makes the road easier to feel. Less wight (not much). Less to go wrong (even though nothing ever does go wrong
smile.gif
).

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan Manual

I didn't know that the 91-95 nsx had not power steering...so is it really hard? or it's manageble?

Hi,
You can DEFINITELY notice the difference between manual and power steering when trying to turn at very,very low speeds (of course, power steering is only "on" at minimal speeds), for instance, when doing a 3-point turn.
My '94 does not have power steering, but I would definitely prefer it. I've always wondered how much it would cost to add this option to existing '91-'94 manuals.....
Overall, I wouldn't consider it a factor when looking to purchase an NSX (unless it is for a female driver). You get used to it after a short while.
-Thomas

------------------
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl/Black NSX
5-Speed

As was mentioned, the 99 Zanardi has manual steering. I find the steering is light under normal driving. The steeing is only a little hard when parking. But the steering get's really heavy under hard cornering. It really takes a lot of muscle to get the car around a corner fast. I like it, but I do feel my upper body strengh is a limiting factor for going fast. On the upside, the road feel is terriffic. I can feel every minute grip change in the front tires, as the rubber looses and gains traction through the corner.

On a related topic, what are good upper body strength exercises for the muscles used for steering? I mostly do biceps curls and bench presses, are there better areas to work on? I maintain proper 10 and 2 (or 9 and 3) steering position when cornering fast, unless shifting my hands is required for more steering lock. I also make sure I use more force on the pulling down hand, rather than the pushing up hand. Anyhow, I find the car much more fun to drive with the manual steering, at least compared to my MR2 turbo with power steering. I actually have never driven a newer NSX with power.

-Eric C

I finally drove a nsx...I was going to buy it buy turns out to be a salvage/junk title. had 39k miles and asking $26.5...but as soon as he said salvage I rather stay away from it. regardless I took it for a spin and the lack of p/s did not bother me until I needed to park. the car feels pretty quick and lite but I couldn't really feel the vtech kicking or making a very loud noise considering I took it around 7000rpms...anybody care to explain?

I couldn't really feel the vtech kicking or making a very loud noise considering I took it around 7000rpms...anybody care to explain?

That's normal. The VTEC kicks in around 5800 RPM but it merely keeps the torque curve level instead of dropping off. There's no discernible kick and the noise does not increase as dramatically as in some other VTEC cars (e.g. Integra Type R).

Originally posted by Litesokneecough:
I like the fact that there is no power steering on my 94. Makes the road easier to feel. Less wight (not much). Less to go wrong (even though nothing ever does go wrong
smile.gif
).

I have a 1994 Auto with power steering- it turns at all speeds with one finger! At slow speeds it is on and decreases with speed.

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
the famous Japanese driver Tsuchiya (Drift King) complains about the PS in the NSX too... I don't think NSXs should have ever had PS... kinda goes against the philosophy IMO.

Then again a a daily driver you want to be able to drive comfortable slow or fast and park it without looking like you're driving a truck.

Let's just say if my itty bitty wife (pictured for scale) can drive one easier than her Beetle...then so can anyone with something more than bones for arms.

Tem_360_Thumbs_Up.jpg

She's driven plenty of crazy cars and the NSX is one of the easiest for her...and we've ONLY ever driven manual steering NSXs. Including the Zanardi.

btw...95 was the start of PS...other than the auto tranny cars.

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

Originally posted by scottjua:
Let's just say if my itty bitty wife (pictured for scale) can drive one easier than her Beetle...then so can anyone with something more than bones for arms.

Tem_360_Thumbs_Up.jpg
Oh, I also have a remote control formy TV so I don't have to get up to change channels....

She's driven plenty of crazy cars and the NSX is one of the easiest for her...and we've ONLY ever driven manual steering NSXs. Including the Zanardi.

btw...95 was the start of PS...other than the auto tranny cars.

Back