• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 NSX Rejuvenation build

Well I made it home for a few weeks. Got to drive the NSX for a bit before I got very discouraged with it. While inspecting the car after I pulled it out of my Grandfathers garage, I opened up the trunk to find a huge mouse nest. Housing insulation, trunk carpet, paper and shit all rolled up in a ball in the corner of the trunk... FML.... So after cleaning that out, and inspecting for chewed wires I found nothing.

I then took it on a road trip to the states for a weekend when it started acting up. 1st was the passenger side window would not go down, which it misteriously cured itself on the drive home?!?! Next was a missfire/sputter under load from 1000-3500 rpm. So pretty much in every gear driving at normal speeds. At times on the highway I would have to leave it in 4th just to stay above 3500 to avoid the sputter. And last was a huge oil leak. The car always leaked a bit of oil, but this leak was a steady drip (approx. every 3-5 seconds) coming from one of the vtec solinoid gaskets (which was replaced from Acura 2 years ago).
So it spent the last few days that I was home at the dealer getting repaired, which I still havent heard if I got a bill or not. Big thanks to [MENTION=5848]Boosted[/MENTION]_teg for picking the car up on a few different occasions and putting it in storage for me.
So next on the agenda for the NSX.... More maintenance. I am going to start with replacing both o2 Sensors (which I have, just didnt have time to install), new coil packs and spark plugs, ignition igniter, main relay, and fuel pump.
On a side note, I did get the BBK, CF hood & spoiler, steering wheel/quick release, and exhaust on. Headers and rear lower valance will have to wait until the next time I am home, which isnt planned for anytime soon.

Any advice for me with the Kojin wheels. I love them and want to add them to my 91 NSX. My car is 100% stock. Do I need spacers? I like the 17/18 set up. Thanks for your help as I would like to purchase them soon, going into spring

Well with my specs I am running 8mm spacers all around with no problems. Good luck on your purchase.

Figure after a year plus I should update the thread.

In August I will be returning to the same base that I was at prior to moving to Europe. SO that means that I do not have far to travel to pick up the NSX. Something like 50 days before I get to drive it, so I am excited for that.

After settling into the new house I will put the NSX up on stands and do a through inspection of all components. After sitting still off/on for 4 years I am sure there is something that will need to be addressed.

First things first, I need to send off the CCU to get re-soldered as I have zero climate control. The CCU is a weak part on the older NSXs and over time the solders crack.

The headers/o2 sensors still need to go on, rear valance as well.

I purchased a slightly used Stoptech rear BBK from Cody @ LoveFab but still need to find the ebrake brackets first before installing. Fronts are red, and rears are black.

I need to find a pair of Bride seat rails in order to install the DC2R seats. Interior leather pieces need to either be redyed or replaced with the proper color.

Fender repair and front end respray over the winter I am hoping.

I also am bringing back the Del Sol I have here which will be the daily for myself while the NSX is put up.

I guess it’s about time I give this page an since moving back to Canada this past August and able to get the car back out of storage. It felt great to get behind the wheel, which was the first thing replaced. Manual steering + 320mm wheel is not fun. So I switched it out for the same wheel but in 350mm. I changed the oil and enjoyed the car until winter. Over the winter it was time to get started on the SR4 Recaro’s. I did a lot of research and hindsight now I should have just got the Bride Type RO’s. Instead I went with Planted brackets (great product) and Sparco Universal Sliders. (Horrible product). I had to redrill the sliders a few times in order to get them to fit.

Next up was @Pride headers. I’ve been holding onto them for about 3 years now and realized it was about time to install. So with the car up on jack stands the tearing down began. All in all I’d say it took me 10+ hours working here and there to get them installed. 46DFADE2-FD08-4FD6-87EF-486BF9F4D71C.jpg3AEBCCF2-31A8-4217-B34E-160D9C5DAC39.jpg649BEF2A-7535-416B-A7C6-ABA6B20F4D28.jpg

After the header install it came time for the 02 Seibon lower rear valance. Fits well, no major complications and was pretty straight forward.
CD4C3917-1E4F-4F72-879D-DF5AF3086514.jpg35E9D42F-939D-427A-9DA9-0A72D40BA642.jpg

With all mods completed over the winter it was time for the first car show of the year.

D58EB656-633B-46C4-8DA0-CAF39A1AB094.jpg534B58D7-F821-4805-8026-7F96BA3391E5.jpg125986F6-120F-4414-9F54-E545402C342A.jpg

Next up is a bit of maintenance. Passenger widow. Doesn’t want to go down and the climate control unit needs to be sent off to Brian K for repair. And he who knows maybe a WW lip and sides.

Attachments

• 52081295-BA71-4CAC-9318-98A558964CC9.jpg
    52081295-BA71-4CAC-9318-98A558964CC9.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Wow, love the way your car sits, I just got the new Enkei TFR wheels in a copper in a 17x8 +35 (215/40) and 18x9.5 +38 (265/35) and thinking of adding a 8mm rear spacers. - are you running the 8mm spacers in the pictures above on you 17x8+35 and 18x9.5 +30 Kojins? Do you have any rubbing issues with that set up? I'm just wondering if ill be able to run a +30 rear without any issues and same for the front once I'm lowered and add a 8mm spacer. (coilovers going on this Saturday) - You NSX looks great!!

Wow, love the way your car sits, I just got the new Enkei TFR wheels in a copper in a 17x8 +35 (215/40) and 18x9.5 +38 (265/35) and thinking of adding a 8mm rear spacers. - are you running the 8mm spacers in the pictures above on you 17x8+35 and 18x9.5 +30 Kojins? Do you have any rubbing issues with that set up? I'm just wondering if ill be able to run a +30 rear without any issues and same for the front once I'm lowered and add a 8mm spacer. (coilovers going on this Saturday) - You NSX looks great!!

I don't rub at all out back. Front tires rub on fenders if a angle or speed bump isn't taken correctly.

Thanks for the compliment. Its taken a long time to get the car to where it is now.

Bit of an update on Project #SuperGramps . The last two weekends were the most I've driven the car in a single season. Last weekend I was able to participate in a local BMW driving school which was amazing. I got to hone my driving skills and find the limits of the car. This past weekend was a yearly guys trip with he cars and we went to Mt. Washington in NH. We were there 7 years ago, but I didn't have my car. Def a check off my bucket list.The car worked great for the most part. Handled the track very well, despite how low my coilovers are. Hind sight I should have lifted the car a bit prior to the track day. Here are a few pics

Attachments

• NSXtrack1.jpg
    NSXtrack1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 112
  • NSXTrack2.jpg
    NSXTrack2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 111
  • NSXTrack3.jpg
    NSXTrack3.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 112
  • NSXTrack4.jpg
    NSXTrack4.jpg