• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX ENGINE SWAPS

Why isnt there any significant engine swaps made for NSX? I can only find K20 swaps but nothing crazy like V10 or V12? Is it just too hard to fit bigger engine for mid engine car with transversely mounted engine and transmission?

Maybe you could be the first to put a Lambo transverse 12 in from a miura...:D

The essence of an NSX is the combination of components developed by the team that developed the NSX.
Swapping out a C30A or C32B for almost anything else would make the result not an NSX.
Also, you would need to have more money than sense, or a very broken NSX engine to start with.

Not that Tesla powered NSX. Besides cutting the rear suspension, it's also powered by a 17 kWh battery with maximum output of about 50 kW, or <70 HP. It will take off like a rocket up to 20 MPH.

I expect if you put enough batteries in to have reasonable voltage and current output, it will weigh a ton and I doubt the weight will be well distributed.

A few reasons as I see it keep the NSX from being a good swap candidate:
  • The engine bay isn't well suited for unique engines swaps due to the transverse layout. Even fitting a V8 would be space limited. Switching layouts would make lose the trunk space and require a unique transaxle transmission... likely very spendy.
  • The C30 engine is pretty amazing in sound (the intake noise is incredible) and the transmission is one of the best to ever grace a road car.
  • High cost of the complete vehicle means a swap devalues the car
  • Few rolling shells available to start 'cheap'
I'm a big engine swap fan myself (SR20 AE86, LS FD3S, V12 Datsun Z), but after living with the C30 I can think of no better powertrain for it.

There is also this guy rocking a 20B 3 rotor swap! I'm keeping tabs on this one. I love the idea, but I couldn't be bothered to try and do this! https://www.thedrive.com/news/this-1992-acura-nsx-is-getting-a-turbo-three-rotor-hybrid-drivetrain

Years ago a Race NSX in Australia running in the GTP Series fitted a Ex F3000 V8 but it blew up & they returned to a Twin turbo.
V6.
I drew up an Adapter Plate to fit the GM LS v8 to fit to the OEM trans and would fit with electric water pump but never finished the project.

Ks and Js are justified as less expensive to run and make power, but the C is a pretty special engine and really makes an NSX an NSX. You can swap an LS into a MKIV supra and it just wouldn't be the same.

I am super excited about the 3 rotor NSX as well.

Back