• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

95 NSX Questions

My dad has a Brooklands Green NSX-t. He's considering selling it but doesn't know what to ask or where to sell it (i.e; online)?
The car has 18k miles,5 speed, Tan interior and has the CD-changer. Any ideas as to the best sites to sell it and what he should ask? He'd be asking but he's not very internet savvy. I appreciate the help.

How much to ask: Look in the "Pricing" section of the NSX FAQ, in the "Buy Sell" area. To access the FAQ, click on the word "FAQ" in the red bar at the top of your screen, the one that looks like this:

04jannavbar.gif

Don't forget to set your asking price high enough to leave room to negotiate price downward by a few thousand dollars, which most buyers will expect you to do (but don't give in to lowballers!).

Sites to list it: the four biggest places are the NSXs For Sale forum here on NSXprime, Autotrader.com, Cars.com, and, if you're willing to sell your car via auction, eBay.

Blade said:
according to your site 45-50k is the asking.
According to the FAQ, $45-50K is the market value for a car in the A+ category: "Perfect in every way. Like it just came out of a museum. Very low miles. Fully documented."

Is your car in the A+ category?

1. Normally, "Very low miles" means roughly 10K or less. How many does yours have? 18K? Doesn't qualify.

2. "Perfect in every way" means that all maintenance has been performed at least as often as the schedule recommended in the owner's manual. That means that the "30K service", which includes the replacement of the transmission fluid and brake fluid, should have been performed at least four times, since that service should be done every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. Has it?

The timing belt and water pump should also have been replaced by now, since that is recommended for every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Have they?

3. Any car in the A+ category should have a clean title, and complete maintenance records. Does it?

4. Condition of an A+ car should be flawless. No dings, no dents, no swirl marks in the finish, no scrapes or scratches on the wheels, etc. Everything on the car should work absolutely perfectly. Does it?

5. What, if any, modifications are/have been installed on the car?

6. Does it have an automatic transmission or a five-speed?

Just because a car has below-average miles does not make it an A+ car. It doesn't even make it an A car. The pricing category for the car depends on all of these items.

For example, if a '95 has 18K miles, but some of the scheduled maintenance has not been done on time, the mileage may qualify for category A, but the maintenance is more consistent with category C. Overall, the pricing might wind up the same as category B, which straddles the $40,000 price point.

Read the ENTIRE pricing section of the FAQ, not just the table. You need to provide more information to support your contention that your car is an A+ car. All you have provided is the mileage, which does not.

1. Normally, "Very low miles" means roughly 10K or less. How many does yours have? 18K? Doesn't qualify.

Per nsxprime pricing:
As a result, mileage does affect price, though the only really dramatic price difference is for extremely low mile NSXs, say under 20,000 for a 10 year old model.

Any car in the A+ category should have a clean title, and complete maintenance records. Does it?

Yes.

4. Condition of an A+ car should be flawless. No dings, no dents, no swirl marks in the finish, no scrapes or scratches on the wheels, etc. Everything on the car should work absolutely perfectly. Does it?

If there are scratches or dings I don't know where they would be on this car as I've never seen them.

What, if any, modifications are/have been installed on the car?

Stock

6. Does it have an automatic transmission or a five-speed?

5 Speed

The only question I don't have the answer to is number 2. I'm not sure what maintenance he has had or hadn't done to it. I would assume everything that needs to be done has been done. But I can't verify that since it's not my car and I don't have the records sitting in front of me.

My personal opinion is 48K is too high for a 95. I would think you could sell it for 40K. (maybe) The problem is for 45-50K you can get a decent mileage 97 and for anyone who knows anything about NSX's they would know the 97 is far superior to the 95. On the plus side if some one really wants a NSX-T then 95 is the first year they were made. On the minus side I would think Green is a harder color to sell.

I own the domain name www.nsx4sale.com. If you want I will list your car on my site for free. The only problem is I am not a web designer so I would not be able to offer you any help or support in building a web page, but if you send me the finished product I will put it on my page. I found it really effective when I listed my car to put in the bottom of the ad for more details go to www.nsx4sale.com Then you can post as many pics and as much info as you want about the car.

If you or anyone else is interested feel free to PM and I can give you my FTP info to upload your page.

Blade said:
If there are scratches or dings I don't know where they would be on this car as I've never seen them.
Okay... the trap you are falling into is assuming that the car is perfect, when you have given no reason for that to be true. The number of A+ cars is very, very few. It is not just a matter of mileage. It's primarily a matter of condition. I've seen perhaps 500 NSXs that are more than 4 years old, and the number that I would consider A+ can be counted on two hands.

Blade said:
The only question I don't have the answer to is number 2. I'm not sure what maintenance he has had or hadn't done to it. I would assume everything that needs to be done has been done. But I can't verify that since it's not my car and I don't have the records sitting in front of me.
Most owners of low-mileage NSXs ignore the time durations in the recommended service intervals, even though this is an important part of the car's condition (more so for certain services than for others). So, as a result, most low-mileage NSXs have not been kept up to date on maintenance. Sad, but true. So I would not make the assumption that everything has been done.

Maybe this car is an A+ car - but I doubt it. I say that because every A+ car I have ever seen, the owner has been extremely knowledgeable about his care for the car, and will tell anyone and everyone who is interested, just what he has done. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

If the car is absolutely immaculate, and all the services have been done on time, then it could justify a price in the mid to upper forties. If not, then you're probably looking at $40-42K at best, and maybe less.

You're welcome to disagree. List the car as high as you like. You can always lower your price if/when it doesn't sell.

Ok i'll go out on a limb here and say if your father's car is as you say (w/o maintenance records), set your asking price at $42k with serious offers considered. As someone mentioned above Green is not the most popular color. Although its beautiful and doesnt necessarily decrease the value, it just means there's less demand or interested persons. If it were red i'd say try for $45k but thats just my noob opinion.

I bought my 95 last year, it also had low miles for that year, completely stock. Color red. Perfect with exception of no service records. I rated mine a "B" although she drives like an A+. Dealer was asking $41k. My only bargaining chip was that there were no service records, which meant I could negotiate the price lower but not by much, couple thousand maybe. I ended up paying $38k. Long story short find your service records or be ready to negotiate a bit more. Let us know the outcome.

(be nice... this is just an opinion)

I bought my Black and Tan 95 in April for $38,500 from a local dealer in the Washington DC area. 60k, full records, single owner, all major service done, new timing belt, new rears, fronts 50%. No dings, body damage, etc. Probably if sale was from a local buyer rather than a dealer might have been a couple K less, but just a guess.

48k is way too high

I paid 39.5 for a very good 1995 with 29k last year.

Another note: After 10 years, any car, and I mean any car that old should have had all the belts and hoses replaced including the timing belt. The NSX usually has leaky cam seals by now, and should have those replaced. Also, the A/C is likely to have problems. Look behind the clutch pedal, is there a small leak of clutch fluid? That means the master cylinder should be replaced. How is the clutch? What about the rear tires? Look at the tabs on the coolant bottle? Are they cracking? That happens to NSX's when they start getting old.

I would say all of those issues must be completely sorted out in an A+ car. If those items are not checked and done, the car is not A+ because those are costs handed down to the next owner. Don't ask me how I know.

As I don't mind green, I would be interested in your father's car.

First, I'd want to know if he is the original owner. If not, did he get the maintenance records from the previous owner? In addition to the condition of the AC, timing belt, water pump, and clutch, I would also want to know the condition of the paint. Any signs of peeling? Has the car ever been repainted?

To answer some of your questions:

A/C blows quite cold. Living in Houston if it had any problems it would have been fixed very quickly. New Front and Rear Tires were put on recently. The car has no leaks. The clutch doesn't have any leaks. Coolant bottle has no cracks in it. My dad is the 3rd owner of this car. The Paint is not peeling and it has never been repainted. I'm sure anyone who checks out the car would go over it with a fine tooth comb before spending a large amount of money.
I will have to check on the Timing Belt and Water Pump. He did get a large mass of paperwork from the previous owner but I did not go through it to look at the items he was given. If you have any more questions please let me know and I'll answer them the best I can.

Since you're checking the records anyway, one other item I would check for is the replacement of the cooling system hoses. While it's not really a major fault if it hasn't been done, this would be a good idea at this point in time. (And if it HAS been done, that's a plus for the car.)

Back