• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A/C compresssor issue

Hey Prime members, yesterday on my 91', I went to turn the A/C on and the engine instantly died, so I started it back up and hit the ac button again and I could start to smell burning, so I popped the glass hatch and poked my head down to the compressor, the pulley was spinning but the ac clutch was NOT spinning so I had sparks coming from behind it where I suppose the pulley is rubbing on the clutch. Has anyone had this same problem? I searched and I saw where compressors get seized, but not the clutch seizing. Also do you think I can just change the clutch out or go for another compressor/clutch combo?
What do you think about something like this. http://www.allthetimeauto.com/accocl149.html

What else is strange is the price for a 1991 is $514.00 but if you go up to a 1994 it drops to $154.00 :confused:

Last edited:
A clutch doesn't size the way a compressor does. A clutch Slips. Your compressor seems to be shot.

Regarding the Price difference: one is for R12 and the other for R134a.

Acura Integra compressor and swap the pulley = cash savings / new compressor

Cheers
nigel
Nigel,
What year of integra would I need? Would you assume I would need a new clutch kit if I am switching pulleys? Is the wiring the same, plugs, ect......

- - - Updated - - -

A clutch doesn't size the way a compressor does. A clutch Slips. Your compressor seems to be shot.

Regarding the Price difference: one is for R12 and the other for R134a.

I was assuming that is what it was for, and I do plan on retrofitting over to R134. But why would the clutch stop or Seize when I push the ac button? The compressor still turns as I drove home 8-10 miles after I noticed it sparking.

Ok, so I have been poking around on the internet looking for a replacement ac compressor, and what I have found is the 94-2001 Integra will fit and uses the same part number as the NSX (confirmed thru Autozone-O'Reily-Rock Auto-Car-parts.com). I have read some post on here from members stating the integra pulley size is different, how is that possible if 4 auto stores show same part for both cars??
The reason I ask is I can get a 1995 integra compressor from a local yard that I do business with for $50.

I think Larry Bastanza can give you the exact years but I think any year as long as it's an Integra Comp. You HAVE to swap the pulley or it will self destruct, sooner or later.

You might be able to get the clutch parts but it's nearly impossible to find the special tools to do the work.
God knows i've looked for several Honda model cars.

Cheers
nigel

Back