• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A/C Condensate dripping into car?

Today, while driving, I felt a drop of liquid coming down from under the dash, onto my foot which was on the gas pedal. I live in a hot climate and the A/C was on a very cool setting, which it usually is. It isn't a steady stream, just a once in a while drop, which I believe is clear water, not any other fluid. After I parked the car, I noticed there was NO A/C condensate "trail" outside the car, which is normal and usually the case after driving and shutting down the engine.

When I returned home I examined the carpeting in the driver footwell and it was very wet, particularly at the gas pedal, and when I checked the passenger side it was more soaked than the driver side! Pulling back the carpet, I saw water puddling under the carpet and the foam padding was also soaked. This is the first time I had this problem.

I assume I have some sort of leak in the A/C piping which usually allows the condensate to exit outside, under the car. I do not see anything leaking when I checked under the hood near the firewall, or anywhere else. Am I correct as to origin and source of leak? Is this a DIY fix? Is it OK to continue driving without affecting any mechanicals, etc. until I get it taken care of?

From what I understand, it does sound like your AC. Unfortunately, this is quite a costly fix in the NSX, and unless you are quite handy, it is not a DIY fix.

From what I understand, it does sound like your AC. Unfortunately, this is quite a costly fix in the NSX, and unless you are quite handy, it is not a DIY fix.

Huh?!? This could be a clogged drain pipe. I'm pretty sure it's been discussed on NSX prime before. Think about it, the inside coil collects condensation, which has to go somewhere. So, most cars have a drain that lets water out of the car. Sometimes, the drain gets clogged and the water collects, until it overflows and soaks the carpet.

I had a mud dobber clog up one of mine, in another car. It happens, but it's usually easy to fix...

UPDATE: search is your friend: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109203&highlight=ac+water+leak (with pictures & everything!)

Last edited:
This reminds me of a funny story, I once rented a car (convertible mustang) and drove down the coast from B.C. to Cali. , we came to find out that the A/C was not really up to the task of cooling the interior with the top down so I figured it wold be a great idea to jump the A/C pressure switch with a paper clip (this prevents the compressor from cycling on and off) well anyway - it worked great until the evaporator completely froze solid in L.A. traffic!! Once I turned it off , it took two days for the ice to melt!!! Ended up with no A/C and soaked carpets...

MichaelS provided the solution. It worked for me. I had a lake on the passenger footwell and the vent were practically spitting at me there was so much water in the tray. In fact, some of it leaked down and gave a false SRS fault indication. I cleaned out the tube and haven't had an issue since.

MichaelS provided the solution. It worked for me. I had a lake on the passenger footwell and the vent were practically spitting at me there was so much water in the tray. In fact, some of it leaked down and gave a false SRS fault indication. I cleaned out the tube and haven't had an issue since.
Please tell the rest of us exactly where the tube can be found. I had this exact thing happen to me last week on a daily driver and it drove me nuts trying to find the tube which I eventually did and cleared it. It would have been nice to have known where it was to start with.

Today, while driving, I felt a drop of liquid coming down from under the dash, onto my foot which was on the gas pedal. I live in a hot climate and the A/C was on a very cool setting, which it usually is. It isn't a steady stream, just a once in a while drop, which I believe is clear water, not any other fluid. After I parked the car, I noticed there was NO A/C condensate "trail" outside the car, which is normal and usually the case after driving and shutting down the engine.

When I returned home I examined the carpeting in the driver footwell and it was very wet, particularly at the gas pedal, and when I checked the passenger side it was more soaked than the driver side! Pulling back the carpet, I saw water puddling under the carpet and the foam padding was also soaked. This is the first time I had this problem.

I assume I have some sort of leak in the A/C piping which usually allows the condensate to exit outside, under the car. I do not see anything leaking when I checked under the hood near the firewall, or anywhere else. Am I correct as to origin and source of leak? Is this a DIY fix? Is it OK to continue driving without affecting any mechanicals, etc. until I get it taken care of?
I used a wet vac to suck up the water which made the carpet dry much quicker. If you don't own one go to a gas station and use one of their vacs.

Please tell the rest of us exactly where the tube can be found. I had this exact thing happen to me last week on a daily driver and it drove me nuts trying to find the tube which I eventually did and cleared it. It would have been nice to have known where it was to start with.
Here's the original thread which helped me .. with a picture from another user. Is that the same one you found? It's the same one as on one of the UK threads
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52653

Last edited:
Here's the original thread which helped me .. with a picture from another user. Is that the same one you found? It's the same one as on one of the UK threads
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52653

Hey guys, thanks to all for the links. Most show the drain tube from inside the footwell. Are there any photos or more exact description of where the tube exits from underneath the car? Like a photo from underneath when the car is up on a lift?

Back