• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A new lease on life. Saving a trashed NSX JH4NA1150MT002868

No intention to bash my part. Just connecting your for sale thread with the build thread that you mentioned in your post. Good luck with your sale and thanks to you and Dan for saving this NSX.

No intention to bash my part. Just connecting your for sale thread with the build thread that you mentioned in your post. Good luck with your sale and thanks to you and Dan for saving this NSX.

Thanks bro. I was glad to see this resurrected too. Good luck on your find!

So, I am the proud new owner of this car. I have a ton of work in front of me. Any help I can glean from the community is most appreciated.

In short order...
Fix a/c (it seems the belt is off which doesn't tell me much - but may have saved the compressor)
Fix the hot air blowing into the cabin
Engine lid cover
New seats, console and door panels (with all electronics) - ideally would love to upgrade seats to newer model style

There we have it. Thank you to many who privately helped me while I was looking at this car and doing my homework. Thank you to the seller for being a straight shooter and for selling it to me for $18K. (Kidding! I paid quite a bit less. Kidding!!!) I will say this about the seller, he told me that it would make it from NYC to Chicago with no problems...he was right on. The car drove straight as an arrow, braked straight, accelerated nicely, etc. all 900+ miles that I drove over two days.

Will be snapping photos soon.

Nice pick up...

Congratulations on the purchase. There is quite a bit of knowledge and parts available on this forum so don't be bashful. We love to see new life breathed into these beasts. Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words Morgan and welcome to NSXPrime. I hope you have as much fun with her as I did! They're awesome cars and short of what you mentioned she's almost come full circle. My line's still open for any questions or guidance along the way so feel free to connect :)

Picking up where the OP/OO left off...

Just picked the car up after three long weeks at the spa...I mean shop. Thanks to Project X in Schaumburg for a full review.

Here is what we repaired and what I am working on:

Reassembled the air conditioning (new parts, etc.) - it appears to blow cold and the CCU appears to work fine
Replace lowering springs with standard ones - the car looks and drives much better
Fixed the rear decklid LED and lights - not a big deal, but a bugger nonetheless
Replaced the ball joints in the front knuckles - pretty bad shape; oddly enough the other ball joints seemed fine
Bled brakes and upgraded to Dot 5 - did this just to upgrade
Repaired several oil leaks - had to replace an oil plug on the transmission and address valve cover
Repaired CV boot - leaked the fluid right out

I am probably forgetting the main stuff or something significant, but that is all top of mind. Let's be honest, it was all about the air conditioning!

I bought new door panels, new speakers, antenna and a new trunk lid and light bar. I bought some window regulators, too. I also bought a new set of leather seats that are enroute. I hope to take the seats out, rip out the carpet and put in original black. Then, I will grease/lubricate the motors on the seats and replace. Oh, and LEDs all around. I noticed the car once had blue headlights...is that LED or HI? I am planning on taking off the window tint. Not sure the laws here in Illinois, but I cannot imagine it is okay this dark.

I still need an engine hatch cover hinge (set) as the cover just sits there with gravity now.

Aside from that, I am going to just drive her as much as possible until winter and then decide what to attack.

I will post some updated photos later tonight. Just pushed over 100K miles (1k or so under my command.)

- - - Updated - - -

Photos after Iphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.JPG pulled up to the house...

Update on the build...

So, this weekend I decide to open the box of leathers I ordered to recover my seats. They looked so good, I dropped all the other projects and decided to focus on the seats. Being the astute craftsman-wannabe I only took out the passenger side. If I mastered this side, I would move on to my side.

Here is what I started with - car after 4 hours of rest in the parking lot of the Hampton Inn in western Pennsylvania. It had another 8 or so hours of driving to go.
NSX in Western PA.JPG

As a catch-up, so far I have:
Had suspension work done (Steve Ghent ball joints on the knuckles)
A/C reworked (new pulley, components, etc.)
Raised the car with stock springs
Flushed and upgraded the brake fluid to DOT 5
Replaced the CV boot
Replaced transmission oil sending unit & seal
Replaced a cam seal
Replaced both door panels and window regulators
Replaced both door speakers
Replaced antenna
Upgraded some lighting to LED (ongoing project as I am trying to decide if I want to replace the tail lenses completely or silicone [from inside] the cracks)
...and washed the car several times. Black - for an OCD guy like me - not the best color

On the taking out the seat. Super easy. Unbolt the front rail, slide seat forward, pop off the decorative caps and unbolt the rear. Unplug the electric motor power source, too. All told, four bolts that keep you and the seat from joining the bumper in a frontal-impact crash. Well, that and the attached seat belt. Which, I took off after I took the seat out of the car. Photos.

Seat Rails.jpgSeat rail cap.jpg

Here is what the car looks like without the seat:

Peeling out the carpet.jpg

Note that there are plastic covers along the rail that come off and apart. Also note that the carpet has four pieces. The main one is obvious. The others are two sides (one coming down from the console, one coming down from the outer rail) and the final one in the outer kick panel. All are attached to plastic backing via staples. The backing is attached via panel screws. Make notes when you take these out! Memory is the first thing to...wait, what was I saying?

This is the tub but with the side carpets still in. I would be taking those out later...after I had an onlooker swing by and marvel at my madness. It is sort of like my equivalent of, "...hold my beer and watch this..." Things never end well when that happens.

The tub.jpg
This is the pile of stuff you end up with. This pile costs over a grand to replace new. Weigh your options before pulling off this job.

What you get.jpg

I must be at my upload limit, so I will post some more in next thread.

- - - Updated - - -

ECU checker.jpg

The above is the ECU check gizmo. After some education from a fellow NSXPrime-r, I tested my ECU. After seeing no codes, I was high-fiving my bank account. Then, I realized my "check engine" light must have been disconnected. I am confirming this now. I mean, SURELY there are stored codes in this car...have you not read this entire build? I will report back on this.

So, I found the floor speaker. Weird that this is so powerful and drives the center as well. Since I am deconstructive by nature, I took it out. BrianK...this will enroute to you soon! See attached photo (not sure why this program does this.)

Then, I found what appeared to be a cold-sink in the air-flow gizmo in the dash. There was some serious funk on it. I broke out the shop vac, a paint scraper and jumped in. I learned two things; I should wear goggles and second that I am losing my close-in vision. Still, funk was eradicated.

Back to the seat. I tore it apart. I watched that video on YouTube that was in 3X time, sort of like a visual chipmunk movie. I did it in 4X the time and with 8X the effort. I am lucky I still have ten digits.

Seat coming apart.jpg

Here is what the seat looks like.

Seat apart.jpg

I am at the point where I am putting the leather back on the seats. If any of you have a photo of the lower back of the foam where that aluminum plate attaches via cloth...I would appreciate it. I didn't take photos and it fell off. I don't want to mess it up. It looks like a lower spine support, but who knows for sure.

BTW, as you tear apart your car, you gain valuable knowledge. Some times you just gain value in the form of quarters. See attached photo.

If any of you have suggestions please share. I am learning as I go.

Attachments

• Underside of seat and stuff.jpg
    Underside of seat and stuff.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Speakers Antenna.jpg
    Speakers Antenna.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Floor speaker.jpg
    Floor speaker.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Finding value in your car.JPG
    Finding value in your car.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 132
Thanks for the updates. Interesting read from Post #1 . Also I assume you meant DOT 5.1 brake fluid? DOT 5 is a silicone based and does not absorb water and will not work well with ABS pumps.

Dot 5 vs 5.1

Good catch Wazari - and now I need to check. I presume the shop thought about that. I will need to check now.

Update on the leathers...am almost wrapped up putting them back on. They look very nice. Only concern is that they came from the factory without slits for the electronics. Not that that is a bad thing, by the way. I suppose they could be universal until the first cut.

I need to paint the plastic trim. Recommendations from anyone? Plasti-dip or good old Krylon? Or, neither and just source black oem (instead of painted ivory)?

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look... I am loving these new seat covers.

Now, to replace the carpet, speaker, etc.

Attachments

• New Pass seat.jpg
    New Pass seat.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 183
  • New Pass Seat side.jpg
    New Pass Seat side.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 144
  • New Pass Seat back.jpg
    New Pass Seat back.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 141
I took the opportunity to work in the nice cool weather tonight and replace the engine cover (new hinges and bolts) and reattach the seat. And here we are with one seat in. I need to respray that motor cover!

I made it to Harbor Freight and bought myself some nippers and bolt cutters. Should make easy work of the second seat.

As to the carpet, once I figure out what was applied, I will decide if I am going to wash it or just buy another set.

- - - Updated - - -

I took the opportunity to work in the nice cool weather tonight and replace the engine cover (new hinges and bolts) and reattach the seat. And here we are with one seat in. I need to respray that motor cover!

I made it to Harbor Freight and bought myself some nippers and bolt cutters. Should make easy work of the second seat.

As to the carpet, once I figure out what was applied, I will decide if I am going to wash it or just buy another set.

Attachments

• Pass Seat in.jpg
    Pass Seat in.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 744
Dyed the carpet...

I ran through three boxes of Rit Dye on this. I could have easily gone to four, but I wanted to leave a slight edge showing the original color so I can compare in the future. The cleaning of the carpet was the hardest part. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. I don't know how this was colored previously but it stuck pretty well. I just didn't like the harshness left from the coloring (it felt like Brillo). So, with dye in hand and previous scrubbing to a soft, fluffy touch...I dyed 'em.

I like the work, but now realize I need to do the other side when I take that seat out.Carpet post dye side.jpg

Attachments

• Carpet post dye main.jpg
    Carpet post dye main.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
More on the interior work...

image.jpgimage.jpg While working on the carpet, I replaced the gunnel material. I think it came out nice. It matches my leather seats.
photo.jpg Here it is put together. I will snap some photos in the daylight, of it all back together.

oh, and I figured out a rattle coming from the back of the car. It is my exhaust rubbing against my body. Those Wiki topics were spot on!

Last edited:
I just wanted to say sorry to anybody that had tried to contact me after this car was sold. This was just such a rough experience for me especially dealing with the person that sold it to me and all of the debt I put myself in I just wanted nothing to do with it at that point. I'm glad to see that it has a good owner which I have talked to (sorry I didn't have the info on any of the other owners). At some points I regret it but one day I will have another once I am done school. I don't want to hog your thread so I just thought I'd say good job and keep the updates coming!

So, I spent all day putting the trunk back together. I had high hopes of swapping out my old rear taillights for replacements that arrived. After looking at mine, I wondered why I bothered. I didn't need them. Mine look fine. Besides, I didn't have a deep socket to fit the nut and I had bigger fish to fry. So, I spent the morning replacing the carpet (properly) with the plastic gizmos and fixing the trunk courtesy light. It may seem easy, but everything is a learning event when you do it for the first time.

I broke out the floor jack and proceeded to lay out the daytime running lights, fender liners and tools. I thought about it and remembered that I am dropping this bad boy off at Brookfield Acura on Monday. Let's see...me on my cold garage floor versus them using a lift. Easy answer. They can do the work.

I spent the last two weeks chasing down receipts, previous owners and generally just trying to tie the work stated in the sale ad with receipts and with hard evidence. There are some generours/gracious people out there. The guy that sold the engine to the fellow that authored this thread...he sent me photos of the serial number off the block, the motor itself and the instrument cluster. I was able to blind-test/confirm that the motor matched the one in the car. Next I called several Acura dealerships, shared the VIN and voila! I had details to confirm much work. In fact, I spoke to a service manager that remembered the car well and he was very helpful.

The biggest helpful thing was having the owner and author of this thread take time and talk to me about all the work he did on the car. We spent a considerable time running through info and I want to say how much I appreciate it. He confirmed quite a bit of what I was chasing down and made the documentation process much easier.

My end goal is to have a USB I can hand to the next owner (I have no intention of selling) with all the documents I have, scanned. I want there to be an electronic file that I can add to over time. With all the help above, I am now able to begin that process.

But first, Brookfield Acura and John Vasos await. I am pretty excited about the visit.

I'm glad to be of help. If you could just do me one thing, if you do ever decide to sell it can you make sure I'm the first one to know? I won't have the money anytime soon (not that it matters since it's not for sale) but hey maybe in the next 5 years who knows where either of us will be at. I'll be looking forward to whatever is next!

I suppose a "beware what you ask for" situation is always an option. It certainly is here. I am glad I know what I am dealing with.

I took the car to my new friends in Brookfield (John Vasos and Nick the tech) and I have to say, that is the classiest bunch of guys I have met in a long time. Solid people, solid business. Shop is super clean and modern. Just really neat people full of knowledge and self-awareness (i.e. not full of themselves.) I half expected John to have a lab coat on when I met him - he came so highly regarded.

On to the car. We spent north of 2 hours under it, around it, on top of it and then all came to the agreement to send it to the frame shop to see what's what before I spent serious money, starting with the suspension. Glad I did. They put it on the machine and came back with results that have given me serious pause. I won't edit or paraphrase but will not post the whole invoice/explanation. Suffice it to say, their feedback was not to throw good money after bad - the critical piece being that for THEM to do the work (and by THEM, any reputable frame shop - not a shade-tree mechanic or someone that does not bill for labor) it was going to get expensive very fast. Here is what they found (and what I would like to hear from you all is below it):

Left rear structural rail is pushed in 5mm
Right front rail is pushed back 5mm
The left rear suspension pieces have damage consistent with someone hammering on them or something
The cross member that the steering rack is mounted to appears to be pushed back
It appears that both front rails are swayed over
The left front rail appears to have maybe been replaced with a used one (it has blue paint showing) and it has some damage still visible back by the brake booster. The rocker panels show signs of damage from pulling - possibly when it was fixed from whatever accident it was in (it should have been fixture to a "Jig" style bench, not clamped by its rocker pinch welds to a conventional frame machine).
The final thing we noted was the rear cross member appears to be pushed up in a few areas consistent with running over something or going off road maybe.

With all the above, this is WAY more than I intended to work with. I just thought the car pulled a little under heavy braking. Holy smokes, I did not expect to get the above.

That said, how would you all approach these repairs? Or, would you even tackle them? The parts are not available. Used parts I am told are questionable to use with aluminum. But, what do I know? Is it a viable fixer? Is it a track car?

So...feedback, advice, etc?

Maybe this is me being overly simple but can you just enjoy it as is? I would not sink the kind of money it sounds like you will need to in order to straighten it out. You both have put so much work into getting this car where it is, that I would just enjoy it as much as you can. While just DDing it, maybe fix one thing at a time and spread the costs out? Hoping Sean chimes in, he is one of the most experienced in this area I believe.

Maybe this is me being overly simple but can you just enjoy it as is? I would not sink the kind of money it sounds like you will need to in order to straighten it out. You both have put so much work into getting this car where it is, that I would just enjoy it as much as you can. While just DDing it, maybe fix one thing at a time and spread the costs out? Hoping Sean chimes in, he is one of the most experienced in this area I believe.

Thanks for the thought, alyvre. I guess I would flip this around to you and ask you, would you put any more money into a car that is dangerous to drive?

I would like to continue working on the car but I don't want to throw good money after bad. If there IS something to focus on, that would be how do I repair the frame (if there is an alternative viewpoint from the aluminum-experts shop). I am all ears. Take off the front clip? Let's do it. Take off the rear rails? I am ready. But I wonder if neither of those will work if the main unibody is compromised. Just seems like wasting money.

But to be clear, I am open to suggestions. I see the other builds and wonder how they do the work. If someone else that has replaced a front clip would chime in, I would really appreciate it.

Knowing what you know, I'd say just drive it and don't pour any more money into it. Maybe do the little things that require little money but more time.

Otherwise, sell it and move on.

Not worth it to try to keep trying to fix it. All the time and money spent could be spent towards a straight one.

quite a read from the beginning.....is there any documentation of whatever shunt caused the frame damage..obviously the work done preceding the history on prime was amateur and shoddy at best.

quite a read from the beginning.....is there any documentation of whatever shunt caused the frame damage..obviously the work done preceding the history on prime was amateur and shoddy at best.

No idea. I have the previous title numbers and two police report numbers. I wish I could pull the reports or ask an insurance clearing house for info.

has the vin been posted..if not put it in and I'm sure some of our Sherlocks can get some scoop

Back