• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A Noise That Bugs Me

HI ALL

FIRST I'VE BEEN A LURKER HERE FOR MONTHS AND HAVE LEARNED A HECK OF A LOT FROM ALL WHO POST-- THANKS.

MY ISSUE IS THAT I HAVE A NOISE WHICH SEEMS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE IN THE REAR DRIVERS SIDE WHICH I CAN BEST DESCRIBE AS A NON-RYTHMIC LOW FREQUENCY THUMPING(though it can't be felt)THAT IS BEST HEARD AT ABOUT 55-65 MPH IN 3RD 4TH OR 5TH GEAR. IT DOES'NT MATTER WHETHER I AM ON A VERY SMOOTH ROAD OR A LITTLE BIT ROUGHER ONE.
I'VE CHECKED THE TIRES FOR BALANCE THE WHEELS, REPLACED THE DRIVE SIDE CV JOINT, ALIGNMENT. AND STILL, IT PERSISTS. I HAVE THE CAR WORKED ON AND SERVICED BY "A FOREIGN AFFAIR" HERE IN SAN JOSE CA. WITH CONFIDENCE THAT THEY KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING THEY HAVE HAD THE CAR TWICE IN THE LAST WEEK OR SO AND THEY STILL CANNOT DETERMINE THE SOURCE. THE CAR APPEARS TO BE FINE IN ALL OTHER RESPECTS BUT THIS DARN NOISE. I AM UP TO DATE ON ALL MAINTENANCE. ENGINE MOUNTS SEEM TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE SUSPENSION PIECES ETC. SO ANY IDEAS??:confused:

Possibly a wheel bearing? Or a loose axle nut? Foreign Affair has a good reputation for NSX service, so I hate to second guess them.

When you said that they checked the wheel balance - did you try putting on a different set of wheels and tires to see if the noise went away?

By the way, you might be new to computers and e-mail. When you type in all uppercase letters, it means you're shouting. You're not trying to shout, are you?

nsxtasy

Thanks for the advice I would like to think that they(Foreign Affair) have thought of the bearings and wheel nut, but I will call them and make sure.

No I did'nt know about the Upper case thing, but now I do

Regards
Jim

hey jim.I work for Acura over the hill and live right off Morrisey.I have a '91 that doesn't make any noise though!Anyway call me and I'll go for a ride with you either in Santa cruz or San jose.I work @ Stevens creek.247 7422 xt224.Dave Heavey.I work wed-sat.You could swing by sat.if you want.Call me either way

Hi Dave;
I also work over the hill in Fremont and drive the car every day, hwy. 17 can be lots of fun!
I'll get a hold of you late next week and take you up on your offer
rgds.
jim

I have seen either or both of you while going the way - I do the reverse commute, down to Scotts Valley - soooo much better than the traffic you guys have to deal with!!!!!
I have red/black but don't commute with it every day.
Sounds to me like it might be a wheel bearing or CV joint - could be a tire that is hard to see visually or during balance

D'Ecosse;

I may have seen you as well. mines a blk/blk '92 with Chrome 5 spoke MOMO's 17"+ 18" lowered a bit.
I can usually be seen running over the hill between 7:00 a.m -8:00 and back down to the coast anywhere between 4:30 -6:00 p.m. 5 days a week. I don't mind the traffic other than the Weenies that try to ride my ass in their 3 series bmw's or other inferior whatever's.:cool:

jim

Back