• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A serious thought about supporting NSXCA

Guys,
I strongly, strongly feel that all activities under the honor of NSXCA should be simply and appropriately for members only. The LEAST requirement is the membership if such person is not willing to voluntary his/her time. Afterall it is a club that made up of NSX enthusiasts who with the memberships are showing supports to this wonderful organization. All the hard works done for this club are voluntary. Owning an NSX is not a requirement, but the common goal of promoting the interests and friendships among members is. If one owns an NSX but is not even willing to show their mere $45 support a year, and yet takes advantages of all the benefits and activities that many club officers diligently organize, then one is nothing but a cheap, parasiting freeloader.
Of course such person can do whatever meetings or social gatherings as much as one wants and it is totally appropriate. But at a NSXCA SUBSIDIZED event, only members and their families should be there.
My point is: If you like and enjoyed all these freebie NSXCA activities so far and would like to continue to be part of this wonderful family, show your support now and contribute at least that small amount of monetary token.
If you want to stay independent, then it is just fine to continue your independent gatherings however you like.
Steve

Last edited:
Since I moved back to california a couple years ago, the only NSXCA gatherings I've EVER seen were occasional dinners and the car corral. As for dinners, other than maybe a raffle, I don't know what NSXCA would pay for since members still pay their cut. Nothing free that I've ever seen even as a member of NSXCA. I might have even gotten 2 magazines total. I don't believe I've even seen a NSXCA sponsored drive............

Some events that are free, should be members only or have a fee charged if applicable to non members. Events that cost a fee, well non members should pay a little more to get in on the action.

If one owns an NSX but is not even willing to show their mere $45 support a year, and yet takes advantages of all the benefits and activities that many club officers diligently organize, then one is nothing but a cheap, parasiting freeloader.

Heck, Glad I didn't go today. I'm not in the club, or never even been to an event yet. Sounds like a big turnoff to me.

If one owns an NSX but is not even willing to show their mere $45 support a year, and yet takes advantages of all the benefits and activities that many club officers diligently organize, then one is nothing but a cheap, parasiting freeloader.

Heck, Glad I didn't go today. I'm not in the club, or never even been to an event yet. Sounds like a big turnoff to me.

What sounds like a big "turnoff" to you, Ryan? The part that I think people who benefit from the club activities should show their supports by joining the club? Or the part that there are such people who will continue to take advantages of the club subsidised events but not willing to support the club? Yeah, the latter sounds like a huge turnoff to me too.
Sure if you don't have the desire to join the club and have no plan to take advantage of the club subsidised event, we won't miss you.
Steve

This may not so pertinent to the NW Region, however... I gave up my NSXCA membership. The vendor discounts were not being honored, there were no NSXCA gatherings near me (closest was Chicago - 5+ hrs), and the magazine which was the only bright spot has become repetitive and stale, especially for a Qtry publication.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
I just wanted to ask what would I get paying to be ur friend? I havent seen any real events here in the bay.Thats why Ive never joined. And where does this money go someones pocket? Sorry if I come off wrong just woundering and I know I dont know any of you nor do you no me besides NSX GT from when I bought his nsx-r wing from him last yr.

I'd like to post a semi-formal response to this issue (speaking specifically about the Bay Area chapter - though I believe the other chapters and regions are run in a similar fashion):

Events and meets that are planned by the club that are free or where the participant is expected to pay for their way in full (no subsidy from the club), the events and meets have always been open to anyone. For example, we've had people who have attended a meet or event because they were perspective buyers or just fans of the car and they wanted to see them up close and personal. Those people are always welcome to these events. Non-owner participation at these free events is encouraged because we want to support the interest of fans of the car.

Events that are subsidized by the club are sometimes limited to club members, but more typically an unsubsidized fee would be charged to non-members. The most obvious club member-only events have been NSXPOs and the ALMS events, for obvious reasons.

Specifically for the Bay Area, we haven't had much in the way of operating funds so we didn't organize any subsidized events last year. The Christmas dinner was the exception where club funds help offset the total cost to participants. But now that we've gotten a few dollars in our budget we're putting together more events that will be subsidized by the club. Of note are the Lombard street photoshoot (the national club's insurance policy is being utilized at a much lower rate than would otherwise be available to meet the city's insurance requirements), a karting event, and a Bay Area picnic. Because the Lombard shoot will be using the national insurance policy, we're required to make this a member-only event but the karting and picnic will be open to anyone with a higher cost to non-members.

I don't know that there would ever be an NSXCA-sponsored drive. Once under an officially sponsored event, the club opens itself to possible litigation and so the club insurance policy would need to be used and I don't think anyone would ever want to pay for a drive.

I can't envision an event that would be covered 100% by the club other than the afore-mentioned free events.

Ryan, you should try to make it out to our meets more often. It's not like what it sounds like on this thread. We shared a nice meal, looked at some local art vendor's work and even had a cool conversation with local law enforcement who were admiring our cars.

The club magazine is a bigger expense than some of you might realize. But it is an expense that cannot be removed because there is a big group of people who like receiving their magazines. The Sacramento chapter has been lobbying, unsuccessfully, to change the magazine to an online publication rather than a paper publication. If you all would prefer this, I encourage you to start a thread in the NSXCA forum for national visibility and see if we can change how we receive NSX Driver. I assure you that the national board is listening.

All of the money transactions by the club are completely transparent. At our meet yesterday we gave an update of our running balance, including where the added funds came from and where the payments went to. More specifically, the money we receive goes into the club account and is used to subsidize events. As I said, there haven't been subsidized events in the past for the Bay Area but now that we have some money to work with, we've got some really fun things planned. Members have been getting e-mails regarding all of the planned events so far, and non-members will see them on Prime as each event draws near.

There hasn't been any free-loading by anyone. We haven't had any subsidized events by the Bay Area chapter yet, so there was nothing to free-load. Going forward, the intent is to always offer a subsidy when available and appropriate, and offer full-rate or maybe make some money off of non-members.

I hope this helps clear the air...

J
NW Regional Rep - NSXCA

One thing that I'd like to add is that the club really is for its members. If anyone has an idea for an event, please either take the initiative to plan it and work with our events coordinator to pick a date that doesn't conflict with other events and to help secure funding if you want to try to have it subsidized by the club. If you don't have the time or inclination to do the planning, at least bring it up to the officers so that they know what you guys want. What we've come up with so far was just what we thought would be cool... but we're open (and begging for) suggestions.

Try to remember that the club officers are on a volunteer basis and that they can't do it all on their own. Help them make our club a better one, the one you want to be a member of.

J

I'd like to post a semi-formal response to this issue (speaking specifically about the Bay Area chapter - though I believe the other chapters and regions are run in a similar fashion):

Events and meets that are planned by the club that are free or where the participant is expected to pay for their way in full (no subsidy from the club), the events and meets have always been open to anyone. For example, we've had people who have attended a meet or event because they were perspective buyers or just fans of the car and they wanted to see them up close and personal. Those people are always welcome to these events. Non-owner participation at these free events is encouraged because we want to support the interest of fans of the car.

Events that are subsidized by the club are sometimes limited to club members, but more typically an unsubsidized fee would be charged to non-members. The most obvious club member-only events have been NSXPOs and the ALMS events, for obvious reasons.

Specifically for the Bay Area, we haven't had much in the way of operating funds so we didn't organize any subsidized events last year. The Christmas dinner was the exception where club funds help offset the total cost to participants. But now that we've gotten a few dollars in our budget we're putting together more events that will be subsidized by the club. Of note are the Lombard street photoshoot (the national club's insurance policy is being utilized at a much lower rate than would otherwise be available to meet the city's insurance requirements), a karting event, and a Bay Area picnic. Because the Lombard shoot will be using the national insurance policy, we're required to make this a member-only event but the karting and picnic will be open to anyone with a higher cost to non-members.

I don't know that there would ever be an NSXCA-sponsored drive. Once under an officially sponsored event, the club opens itself to possible litigation and so the club insurance policy would need to be used and I don't think anyone would ever want to pay for a drive.

I can't envision an event that would be covered 100% by the club other than the afore-mentioned free events.

Ryan, you should try to make it out to our meets more often. It's not like what it sounds like on this thread. We shared a nice meal, looked at some local art vendor's work and even had a cool conversation with local law enforcement who were admiring our cars.

The club magazine is a bigger expense than some of you might realize. But it is an expense that cannot be removed because there is a big group of people who like receiving their magazines. The Sacramento chapter has been lobbying, unsuccessfully, to change the magazine to an online publication rather than a paper publication. If you all would prefer this, I encourage you to start a thread in the NSXCA forum for national visibility and see if we can change how we receive NSX Driver. I assure you that the national board is listening.

All of the money transactions by the club are completely transparent. At our meet yesterday we gave an update of our running balance, including where the added funds came from and where the payments went to. More specifically, the money we receive goes into the club account and is used to subsidize events. As I said, there haven't been subsidized events in the past for the Bay Area but now that we have some money to work with, we've got some really fun things planned. Members have been getting e-mails regarding all of the planned events so far, and non-members will see them on Prime as each event draws near.

There hasn't been any free-loading by anyone. We haven't had any subsidized events by the Bay Area chapter yet, so there was nothing to free-load. Going forward, the intent is to always offer a subsidy when available and appropriate, and offer full-rate or maybe make some money off of non-members.

I hope this helps clear the air...

J
NW Regional Rep - NSXCA

I agree with James position on this topic. Although, I have one correction I would like to make. There was no subsidy from NSXCA and or the Bay Area Chapter for our Christmas Dinner held last December.

Mike

What sounds like a big "turnoff" to you, Ryan? The part that I think people who benefit from the club activities should show their supports by joining the club? Or the part that there are such people who will continue to take advantages of the club subsidised events but not willing to support the club? Yeah, the latter sounds like a huge turnoff to me too.
Sure if you don't have the desire to join the club and have no plan to take advantage of the club subsidised event, we won't miss you.
Steve

Do you speak for NSXCA? What is your affiliation with it?

Your original post and your respone to RYANS is a huge turnoff for me too. I really hope you are not related to NSXCA in any official manner becasue I dont like the way you come across or your repsonse to RYANS.

Also after reading Mike C and James's response it doesnt seem like you know what your talking about anyway.

Hi Steve,

I'm curious as to what compelled you to post this thread?

Mike

Hi Steve,

Mike

Mike, you know Steve, "Steve is Steve" and he will post whatever he feels like saying (no offense to anyone)

BTW can we all meet up soon on a friday night? It's been too long!

Hi Steve,

Mike

+1

I don't know how anyone would "mooch" any benefit of NSXCA w/o being a member in what I've seen here (Norcal) in the past few years.

Non-member= not invited or pay extra to cover.

Shouldn't take more than 2 events for someone to realize if they want to join or not. I stopped paying because I was really getting nothing out of it, other the the OPPORTUNITY to attend the car corral, because I ended up not going.

Steve

Looks like somebody didn't have their Wheaties this morning...I find your statement very unprofessional (especially coming from a doctor) and childish.:mad: That to me is huge TURNOFF and leaves an impression of you being a snob.

Steve

Way to go of showing how good it is to join the NSXCA...:eek:
I just wanted to ask what would I get paying to be ur friend? I havent seen any real events here in the bay.Thats why Ive never joined. And where does this money go someones pocket? Sorry if I come off wrong just woundering and I know I dont know any of you nor do you no me besides NSX GT from when I bought his nsx-r wing from him last yr.

+1

I speak from experience and I have never been anything but welcomed by NSXCA and I am not a member not out of lack of wanting to be more out of lack of interest in doing the paperwork :p I keep telling myself to sign up whenever we all hang out just because I wanna support our chapter but always get side tracked when I get home :(

Mike, you know Steve, "Steve is Steve" and he will post whatever he feels like saying (no offense to anyone)

BTW can we all meet up soon on a friday night? It's been too long!

I'm all for a get-together on a Friday night +1 :)

As for the NSXCA issue, personally I don't have the time to join for most events thus I'm not a member. But I find everyone is still very welcoming for events since it's really just about the cars/fun. Whether I should pay $45 is really not an issue since it's not about the money really....I have never mooched or got anything free from anyone and never would try to take advantage of something. If I go, I will pay my own way but in reality I have very little free time for car events these days anyways.

A car club is just a car club, nothing more and anyone who tells you otherwise just means they have TOO MUCH time on their hands. I've done my share of being director of our EuroProjektz car club for many years and lately it's totally hands off. Been there and done that and it's time to pass that to the next generation of kiddies to enjoy!

We all love cars but it should NOT be made into a chore or it will be just a small private group and what fun is that? NSX owners are small already so we should just enjoy each other's company when and if time permits.

rick

PS: James/Mike/Yojack, etc don't take my comments in a negative way as I truly appreciate how much effort you guys put into these events since I know it's no easy task! I very much love what you guys do for norcal and will continue to join in as many events as time allows :)

Last edited:
VERY well said Rick.

Personally, I do not know how I could ever return the gratitude I owe towards Yojack.

Speaking of Friday night meets........ What ever happened to the meet at 99 Ranch market in off the 88 in Milpitas? I rolled up about a month go past 10pm on a friday night..... no meet, just shoppers.

This is one reason why I am canceling on the Lambord st. photoshoot. I've been looking forward to attending this event and meeting new NSX owners from Norcal since the first thread was started sometime mid '08. But don't want to be consider a freeloader.

NSXCA has always been welcoming to all NSX owners. I have met a few and they are some really kind great peoples.

I have been thinking about joining, and still have the brochure pinned up on my bulletin in my room waiting to pull the trigger. When I join a group or invest my money into something, I hope it would benefit me in someway.

The only reason why I have not joined is because I really don't see any kind of benefits on my part. Some may benefit and some may not. My parts discount are cheaper now than if I were to join NSXCA.

On the other hand. I still look forward to NSX meets and drives, and meeting NSX owners that shares the same picture as I do.

Thanh

As for the NSXCA issue, personally I don't have the time to join for most events thus I'm not a member. But I find everyone is still very welcoming for events since it's really just about the cars/fun. Whether I should pay $45 is really not an issue since it's not about the money really....I have never mooched or got anything free from anyone and never would try to take advantage of something. If I go, I will pay my own way but in reality I have very little free time for car events these days anyways.

We all love cars but it should NOT be made into a chore or it will be just a small private group and what fun is that? NSX owners are small already so we should just enjoy each other's company when and if time permits.

rick

I agree with most of what Rick had said. I've been a gear head as long as I can remember both domestic and imports. I myself having little to no time at all to attend any sanctioned or non-sanctioned NSXCA or NSXBA events with my busy lifestyle with a wife, kids, work, etc. I may attend one or two events a year if I'm lucky enough to find a free weekend. Yeah, I know there are some members here who have kids, wife, work or whatever and still able to attend more/some of the sponsored or non-sponsored NSXCA or NSXBA events. Now I don't really don't want to hear about how you can find time or make time to attend an event if you really wanted to, blah, blah...this is not what this topic is about, so keep those comments to yourself. That being said, I am an active current PAID member (originally a NSXCA member now NSXBA member). I usually pay a 3 year membership subscription so that I don't have to worry about renewal year after year. For me it's not about the money or what I can get or benefit from the organization as you can see. If I find a club, organization or foundation worthy of being supported then that's exactly I what I will do. To me I believe that this organization is doing an excellent job. I want to give kudos to those who keep these events coming month after month, year after year. See you all at the upcoming events if I can attend.

CNN just reported that nsxca will be eligable for a bail out. You can only reap the benifits if you join. I plan on becoming a member soon but like others I don't want to do the paper work. They should elect one person in the club to take club payments on spot and do the paperwork. Im too busy buying things for the cars when Im on the net. Just my .02.

I enjoy being a member of the NSXCA and attending NSXPO.

NSXPO is THE NSX event. You see many cars, attend informative seminars, go on drives (the least fun part to me:smile:) and if you want you can get the opportunity to take part in supervised track events at your own level of skill.

I've been able to meet NSX owners from all over the world except CALIFORNIA:biggrin:. Well, maybe one or two:wink:, but it sure would be nice to see more of the California owners to attend. They don't seem to travel very far.

The last time we in the NSXCA-NE had a car corral at a ALMS event(Limerock) we also had a terrific seminar with the head engineer from Mobil 1. Only a handful attended (most were watching the race) but it was packed with great information about oils and synthetic oils and the development of Mobil 1. I wish we could have another such seminar with the folks from Mobil.

There are very good DYI's in NSX Driver Magazine that I refer to often. The one by Larry B outlining throttle body cleaning was a classic.

Thanks to the NSXCA and NSXPO I had the opportunity to meet the father of the NSX Mr. Urehara and have had some very insightful conversations with him at two NSXCA gatherings. Can't beat that. :cool:

This year in Canada is sure to be another great NSXPO. BTW, if it's too far to drive, attending sans NSX is still a good time. There are so many there it's easy to catch a ride with someone so you are not left out unless you want to be.

If you haven't been to a NSXPO, you owe yourself to try one out.

As DocJohn explained it to me many years ago, "there are all these people with the same NSX obsession as you, it's great."

Last edited:
Guys,you can argue the value of any club requiring dues,but to lambaste a whole organization based on the post of one member:rolleyes: (who probably got pissed because maybe he was seeing a trend of non members enjoying a free subsidy at nsxca sponsored events?) Whether you know it or not, if the club has anything to do with an event that includes anything costing money,and members still have to pay something at the venue,chance are the cost is less because the local chapter kicked in something.Now it is up to the local members how to handle owners who show up and have no clue what the nxsca is about.As Joe explained there are plenty of positives which really vary with the region.In the NE we have strong representation so we have certain well attended club member only functions.On the flip side there are always improptu meets organized on prime for anyone to show up. So how does it go down in Cali?:confused:

I've been able to meet NSX owners from all over the world except CALIFORNIA:biggrin:. Well, maybe one or two:wink:, but it sure would be nice to see more of the California owners to attend. They don't seem to travel very far.

Thanks for the kind words Rick and David. It's nice knowing and appreciated.

Mike, James and Yolanda (among others) have really been trying to find a formula to get people excited, not so much about the NSXCA , but the Bay Area Chapter in particular. It ain't easy and if these three were to bail, every NSX owner locally whether they realize it or not, would lose a great ally in bringing owners together. I DON'T WANT TO SEE OUR CHAPTER DIE! Don't want these Patriots to surrender. However every leader, man or woman, has their limits. They really do need your support, if not in participation, then in kind words! They are doing the very best they can with the amount of time and energy that they have.

Car clubs in general will never represent the greatness of their make with inactivity and it is hard to understand the inactivity, with the NSX. :confused:

Jack

Back