• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS "clicking" noise, revisted....

I know this subject has been discussed many times. I had done the DIY ABS solenoid sticking fixit trick, as found here, about a year and a half ago and it's been good, except for occasionally when it rains it will make the pump chatter noise. Not long ago I had the master/slave cylinder replaced by a dealer and ever since then I have had the ABS clicking noise pop up specifcally when I am hitting bumps in the road it makes the noise briefly, I can kinda hear it coming from under the dash. It does it occasionally after startup too. Would it be safe to say that the electrical fixit trick is in order again? or any other ideas/suggestions before I dig into this issue? Thanks in advance, just seemed odd to do it when hitting some good bumps in the road. Anyone else experience this?

My car makes the same noise, particularily on bumps or when I first start the car up. Not sure what it is either...

It's supposed to make that noise _occasionally_. Whenever the stored pressure gets low, it has to run the pump for a little bit. Unless it's doing it all the time, or throws a warning light, I wouldn't worry about it.

don't worry about it! the pump should only run for about 5 seconds occasionally! it's normal!

The morning after I first got mine, I drove down my drive, and the ABS pump kicked in for the first time, I stopped and got out, thinking I'd run over a box or something! I do believe it's the loudest ABS pump known to man, and, I assure you, it will be quiet all the while you are in a quiet neighbourhood, but just as soon there is an audience.....

Not long ago I had the master/slave cylinder replaced by a dealer and ever since then I have had the ABS clicking noise pop up specifically when I am hitting bumps in the road it makes the noise briefly,

I am guessing that the dealer did not connect the pressure switch on the ABS properly. Every time you hit a bump, it disconnects for a second, which makes the system think there is no pressure and the pump kicks on. Take a closer look at the orange ABS connector below the master cylinder.

They probably detached it to reroute the wires to accommodate the new master cylinder cap....the new cap has the wires in the front (hint: keep the old one with the wires in the back) and it makes the harness tight.

Drew

Thanks ! I will dig into it when I get a day off, sounds like Drew is on the right track though, since it has been very apparent and very often since I got it back from the above mentioned service. Thanks again!

Mine does it everytime I start up the car for about 3-4 seconds then it goes away and it has been doing that for 6 months. I thought it was normal but have been doing some research on this too. I just bled the brakes and flushed the system and the noise went away for 4 days. Now its back again, but for some reason today it was going off every 10 seconds or so on the freeway and in the city (first time its every done this.)

Since it seems that flushing and bleeding the brakes didnt help for a long term solution, maybe the stomping on the brakes will yield better results? What do you think?

FYI the S2000 and 350z have never had this type of problem and probably never will.

rbirling said:
It's supposed to make that noise _occasionally_. Whenever the stored pressure gets low, it has to run the pump for a little bit. Unless it's doing it all the time, or throws a warning light, I wouldn't worry about it.

abc-whateverrr, grrr!

I'm in the same situation, except I get the 'ABS' yellow warning light to come on and stay on. I've had the master/slave cylinder service done 3-4yrs ago, etc'. The light coming on has been consistent for past 6months+.

Any insights?!? :confused:

Well I just went around the block a few times and was doing a 10mph to 0mph stop to lock up the brakes and activate the ABS. I did it several times and finally it was like a click and the fan sound went away. I let the car cool down for a couple hours and went back out started the car up and went for a drive. Everyday since 6 months ago I would get that sound. It did not go on which was great. I will see how long it will last. Seems like the sticky solenoid came loose.

Thanks guys.

I had the "clicking" noise for a few months now. After extensive research on nsxprime (thank you all for all the useful information) I concluded that I should either work the ABS system of flush the ABS pump/modulator. If these 2 method fail then i may have to fork out a huge sum to replace the modulator.

I tried working the system during heavy downpour but it didn't help.

I finally brought the car to the mechanic to have the modulator flushed. (FYI i am not a DIY man and dont know much about car mechanics).

The car stopped making the clicking sound now. Apparently, the reason it was making the "clicking" noise was because there wasn't sufficient fluid in the modulator.

I am not sure if this is the real reason but thought that i should share it with nsxprimers who have been really helpful.

So if any of you have the "clicking" sound problem, you should check to ensure that the abs modulator fluid is adequate.

HELP!! My abs modulator is chirping again!! After I had the brake and abs modulator flushed, the chirping sound stopped for a day. But to my horror the chirping returned today with a vengeance. The chirping is more intense and more frequent now.

What shall i do to stop it? Please help!!

pull out the 20A fuse

Naw, that would throw the ABS error light.

Just jump/short the pressure sensor under the master cylinder. No light, no chirping and no ALB/ABS.

I think he is outta brake fluid in the reservoir.

Drew

I had this issue two days ago. Seem as if the dealer pressure washed the front bay. So i decided to pull out all the fuses and then put them back in one by one. im thinking while the washed the bay with whatever method they used something was loose whether it was the fuse or the contact as noted previously i havent experienced it yet and my reservoir is full at the moment. Now it could have also been due to the ABS service settling in that i just had done. Not sure but glad it is gone. It can be very annoying...

:biggrin: The clicking is very normal.

The ABS system uses high pressure in the accumilator in excess of 1000PSI to "pump the peddle once your abs kicks in" (simplified explaination)

Usually, the ABS pump only kicks in once in a while when you have used the ABS function or when the preasure in the accumilator drops under what it should be.

However, if you dont drive your car very often like me. I usually let it sit for a week or two... the abs pump kicks in when you first start your car and start driving to get the system back to operating presure.

In the rain, i would suspect that our ABS kicks in more often due to wheel lock and thus the ABS system needs to run more often to maintain pressure.

Give it a few hard brakes from 60MPH to stop... get it back up to speed, let the rotors cool off and hard brake 3 more times. You must romp the brake hard so that ABS engages and keep your foot in it. Make sure there is no cars behind you. :rolleyes: This should circulate the accumilated fluids and also let the system rebuild preasure. If the the ABS pump is consistantly cycling off and on than we have a loss in preasure somewhere in the abs system. It does not mean that your leaking brake fluid. If your resavour is staying full than dont worry about an external leak.

Also this does not affect your car's ability to brake. So its not like one day your ABS pump is going to stop working and your going to lose the stoping power.

If the ABS pump or abs circult has an internal leak, than you can stop the pump by pulling the fuse. You wont have ABS, but its no biggy if your a good driver. Technically a good drive can control the tires at 10-15% slippage which is optimal for stoping the car. Abs only allows about 3-5% which is hell of a lot better than coefficient of skidding/skating on glass.

I believe there is a way to manually flush the ABS pump. There are individual valves in the ABS braking unit and if something is stuck in one of the valves, you'll lose ABS pressure slowly if its small and fast if its big... but i dont see how something can get in there.

If your due for a change of brake fluid, get that done first than do the 3X hard braking and see if that fix it.

Good luck
:biggrin:

Latest update on the clicking noise on my car. My mechanic flushed the abs pump and brakes again.

It has been 2 days now and the incessant clicking noise has stopped. The only clicking sound from the abs pump that i get is when i first move the car after starting it. It rattles for a good 3 to 10 seconds and thank god it doesnt repeat while i am driving.

I can bear with a "one-off" clicking sound when i drive the car (especially after not driving it overnight or after a couple of days) but what i cant stand is the constant or intermitent clicking sound while i am driving it.

Once again, thank you all for your helpful suggestions and concern.

after you get the car started and driving up to speed of about 6 km/h. The abs pump kicks in to fill preasure :) very normal.

Happy to see you got the car fixed.:biggrin:

HELP!! My ABS pump started clicking again 3 days after i had the pump and brakes flushed.

What can i do to stop the clicking apart from changing the ABS pump or removing the 20A fuse?

1. Jump the pressure sensor: the ABS will think everything is OK and will stop. See Post #13.

2. The good news is that you don't have to replace the pump. That appears to be working fine. The bad news is that you have to either replace/repair the modulator or the accumulator.

3. Remove and discard the entire system. Dali sells a kit to help.

4. The system is quite serviceable with parts from Nissin and Mitsumi...do the research and figure it out. Report back

Drew

I've got the same problem with the annoying clicking noise, but mine has gone a bit further. When braking from speed it's fine but when the car is just about to come to a stop the ABS kicks in and I continue for an extra couple of feet.

Any ideas, is it the same problem or something else aswell?

Cheers

Thomas

My ABS pump stopped clicking!! Yahoo!! I did not drive my car for a few days and when i took it out for a spin today to my surprise there is no clicking sound emanating from the front hood.

I wonder what happened but i am very sure that when i next drive my nsx the clicking sound will reappear. I keeping my fingers crossed.

Does any one know of the main power line to the abs? I dont want to pull the fuse because I still want my TCS to work I would fix the ABS but all my cash is going to the paintshop and other parts.

Does any one know of the main power line to the abs? I dont want to pull the fuse because I still want my TCS to work I would fix the ABS but ...

See Posts #13 and #19 of this thread. That will fool the ABS into thinking that everything is OK.

Shutting off power to the ALB/ABS will throw an error and disable the TCS.

Back