• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS Pump cycling alot

Seems like my abs pump runs alot. Is this normal on the NSX? I usually have my music up and have never noticed it. But when I forgot my ipod last night, it continued to cycle and run alot. Could it just need flushing?
Also, can I un-hook it so it doesnt burn the pump up? I found a few orange plugs, that looked like the connections, but thought I should ask my fellow prime members first.
Thanks.

No, it is not normal. It should only cycle for a short moment after start-up (sometimes-not always) and after the ABS was deployed to rebuild pressure. If the pump is continuously cycling then disconnect it ASAP (if it has been doing this for some time it's probably too late to save it - maybe you'll get lucky though). There are threads here to help with bleeding the ABS system and if you haven't done it, then you're way overdue. Good Luck and Happy Motoring!

Last edited:
No, it is not normal. It should only cycle for a short moment after start-up (sometimes-not always) and after the ABS was deployed to rebuild pressure. If the pump is continuously cycling then disconnect it ASAP (if it has been doing this for some time it's probably too late to save it - maybe you'll get lucky though). There are threads here to help with bleeding the ABS system and if you haven't done it, then you're way overdue. Good Luck and Happy Motoring!

Went out and mashed the breaks pretty good and that seemed to work.
It hasnt cycled since. What connectors do I need to pull if it starts again? I see a few orange connectors. Thanks

Mine cycled so much once that the ABS light came on. Activating the solenoids and flushing did the trick. Every once in a while you have to excercise the solenoids by activating them in the rain or on pinestraw or some other way to keep them exercised. That's really all it is. The later model is sealed - no problem.

I do that every once in a while and my ABS is happy. My mechanic here in town, Eiffel, has a gizmo that will exercise the brakes electronically. He fixed mine for about 150 bucks when it went haywire like yours sounds like it's doing. Most likely nothing to worry about.

Under normal circumstances the pump should hardly be heared at all, only sometimes for a short moment after startup when driving away.
Yesterday I left the car parked for a few hours after some heavy track use. When starting and driving away, the ABS pump was working for quite some time, probably about 10 sec, quite unusual on my car, possibly as the brakes and brake/ ABS fluids had been used to the max and were heated up quite a lot. :rolleyes:

Back