• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS Pump / Modulator ticking

I have a red 91 Canadian model with 88,000 km. Yesterday when I left for a drive, the usual tickingnoise (ABS pump?) kept coming back every 10 seconds or so. It would stopafter a few seconds of ticking like normal but start again after 10 secondsapprox. and continued this cycling. I stopped the engine and restarted but it had no effect. No warning light came on. Am I looking at a minor or major repair to the ABS system?

one thing that really helps is exercising the system.find a deserted road,get up to 45 or so and slam on the brakes as hard as you can a number of times to activate the abs system.sometimes the solenoids can clog up from disuse and this can free them up.if this works,do it once a month or so to help keep the system clear.

I had to find an unpaved road because it was difficult to lock the brakes on dry pavement. Anyway, it appears to have solved the problem - thanks for your advice. I will have the ABS pump bled at my next service.

that's great,glad it worked.you can lock the brakes up on pavement,but it is hard to do.

What is happening is your solenoids are getting stuck and the system cannot pressurize. Regular "exercise" can help free them, but the real problem is the system is full of grit. As Shawn said, changing the fluid in the reservoir/pump will not work. You must flush each solenoid. Even then, you'll never get all the dirt out, but you may recover the system for a few more years. The 2000+ ABS upgrade solves this completely- Honda knew they had a problem. I have it and it is a night and day difference compared to the old system.

Back