• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS woes solved back to the honeymoon with my NSX!

Thanks to all that came to my aide to assist me with the DIY info and all commisserating and helpful advice from those that have traveled the ABS issue before me.

This site and answers to my quiry as well as the DIY link was what I needed to save me 5000 bucks. Of course I would have just unhooked the ABS system if my alternative was a 5000 buck expense. Fortunately it only cost me 138 bucks at Eiffel's Place here in town. He fixed it with a gizmo he has that plugs in and actuates each braking corner. Great gizmo - wonder how much that costs. Anyway Eiffel was great and he has a nice clean shop. He did me right and sold me only what I needed. Knows these cars very well indeed. Took a lot of time with me and really gave me the red carpet treatment in my terms - showed me the car on the lift and pointed out all kinds of things. Other things I will eventually have to deal with but all in all it's a good car. No big problems.

So there you have it ABS back to normal and all is well with the world. Thanks again to all those that wrote in and helped me. This is such a great site and you guys are great.

Tim,

Glad to hear that you got everything worked out! Now go out and enjoy your car. As others mentioned in your prior thread, periodic "exercising" of the system is quite beneficial in preventing stuck solenoids.

Tim, That tool you mentioned is probably similar to the DanO's one. It basically actuate (open & close) each solenoids. It is nice to make your own so that you can do it periodically.

Anyhow, the issue may come back in a few weeks, especially in cold weather, but it'll probably be less severe. You may hear the ABS pump cycling during the first 20 to 30 min. drive.

Did you change the brake fluid for the ABS unit as well?

Yes Eiffel flushed the system. Why do you think it will come back? Can't I just take it out in the rain or to a lot with some pine straw on it and exercise the system? I sure hope I don't have to keep doing this every month. Thanks for writing.

Yes Eiffel flushed the system. Why do you think it will come back? Can't I just take it out in the rain or to a lot with some pine straw on it and exercise the system? I sure hope I don't have to keep doing this every month. Thanks for writing.

I suspect that the seals on the solenoids don't seal well due to age.

I have to do it at least once or twice during the Winter here in SCAL. It is normally OK during the warmer seasons. I use the Dano method to flush each solenoids which takes about 20 to 30 min. Exercising would work also, but I found it easier and safer with the tool.

Tim,

Glad to hear that everything worked out with the ABS. Sounds like Eiffel did you good.

We'll have to get together for that photo op soon as my baseball season kicks into gear mid-February.

Hey Guys,

Just a little follow up. Last nite when I drove in my wife said check out the spot on the carport floor - it was hydraulic fluid - Honda DOT3- ohhhhhh no says me. But maybe it was from an earlier episode - well this morning there was another spot cause I moved the car back out of its usual spot - new spot on the floor. As I drove out this morning going down the drive - the ABS pump kicked on. Oh boy, here we go again.

I talked to Eiffel and asked him what he thought- no worries just going thru a cycle and just foamed over - he told me to come by and he'd fix me up with some Honda DOT 3, take it to a car wash and use the engine cleaner and wash the stuff off the paint. I asked him if this was a sign that my system was bad....he didn't think so. His does this periodically and he has a 91. His take was that "very seldomly do you really need to replace the system with the new upgrade".

By the way that would cost with the SOS upgrade - 1800 + 6 hours of labor = 600 or so = about 2500. That's a lot of coin and as they say or I would say - you can buy a lot of brake fluid for 2500 bucks. Don't think I'll be doing any ABS upgrade but I did read a post on the DIY link on our forum in another similar ABS thread about a guy that changed out his ABS solenoid "O" rings. No more leaks he said. My system is just boiling over or foaming (better term) over so I don't believe I have an "O" ring issue.

Just another little tid bit follow up - anyone else had this issue???

Let me hear from you folks. Thanks

Did you ever stop to think that the NSX is FOAMING at the mouth to get out and be driven? But seriously, hopefully Eiffel is onto the cause and it's a "no harm/no foul" thing. Got to get that honeymoon back on track!

Hey Guys,

Just a little follow up. Last nite when I drove in my wife said check out the spot on the carport floor - it was hydraulic fluid - Honda DOT3- ohhhhhh no says me. But maybe it was from an earlier episode - well this morning there was another spot cause I moved the car back out of its usual spot - new spot on the floor. As I drove out this morning going down the drive - the ABS pump kicked on. Oh boy, here we go again.

I talked to Eiffel and asked him what he thought- no worries just going thru a cycle and just foamed over - he told me to come by and he'd fix me up with some Honda DOT 3, take it to a car wash and use the engine cleaner and wash the stuff off the paint. I asked him if this was a sign that my system was bad....he didn't think so. His does this periodically and he has a 91. His take was that "very seldomly do you really need to replace the system with the new upgrade".

By the way that would cost with the SOS upgrade - 1800 + 6 hours of labor = 600 or so = about 2500. That's a lot of coin and as they say or I would say - you can buy a lot of brake fluid for 2500 bucks. Don't think I'll be doing any ABS upgrade but I did read a post on the DIY link on our forum in another similar ABS thread about a guy that changed out his ABS solenoid "O" rings. No more leaks he said. My system is just boiling over or foaming (better term) over so I don't believe I have an "O" ring issue.

Just another little tid bit follow up - anyone else had this issue???

Let me hear from you folks. Thanks

Tim,

This is a chronic issue and that is why you have to flush the solenoids periodically. You may still have a leaking solenoid(s) which caused it to overflow.

I dealt with this PIA problem years ago.

Repeated flushing/excercising the ABS can sometimes get things back to normal but sometimes the solenoids and seals are just too old and the system won't hold air causing the air pump to constantly come on to keep the pressure up.

After months of flushing/excercising I broke down and decided to replace my ABS unit with a newer, used one in good condition.

With this problem just when you think you've solved it that pump comes back on. Hopefully it remains livable but if it won't quit pumping the only option is to disconnect or replace the unit.

All these posts by you guys is surely appreciated. I hope my problems with the ABS don't just continue to plague me. The previous message is a little disheartening. Has anyone done the solenoid "O" ring replacement in the ABS system. I read about that on another similar thread on the DIY forum here.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate you!

so that's what that noise is, the ABS pump? on mine it sounds like a slot machine hit the jackpot. "clang a lang a clang a lang!"

so that's what that noise is, the ABS pump? on mine it sounds like a slot machine hit the jackpot. "clang a lang a clang a lang!"

Yeah man, when I first heard it I thought my fan blade was knocking against something up in the front there.....geez - scared me. Good news is that it wasn't the fan knocking something up there - bad news is that it wasn't the fan knocking something up there cause that would be easier to fix than the ABS thing....lol....I'm dying here.

Geez, there is a good thread on the DIY (network) forum here about another method and process for solving things. I just wish I had a heated garrage and a bunch of tools and a good friend that owned an NSX living near me that new how to use the tools .....lol. I'm still dying here.:eek::biggrin:

You gotta laugh or you'll cry. Oh well - eventually I'll get this solved. I hope. It's a process I'll tell you!

Tim did you know that OLDMNSX travels far and wide helping owners do just this.My 96 abs system took a dump last year so I just threw more money at it by doing the 2000 upgrade from sos.

Tim did you know that OLDMNSX travels far and wide helping owners do just this.My 96 abs system took a dump last year so I just threw more money at it by doing the 2000 upgrade from sos.

No Doc I didn't. Should I contact him with a PM? I would put him up....I garauntee!:biggrin: I am all over that! Thanks for the email. I'll check with him.

So you did the upgrade - did you do it yourself? I would love to hear more about your deal - you are more than welcome to pm me anytime. I sure wish you would.

Thanks

Back