• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC HELP PLEASE - before I get out the grenades

OK, AC on high all the time, just like the TSB says. I spend $488 in parts today (blower motor and power transistor) install them myself, get everything hooked back up, start the car, giddy with anticipation, and BAM! No change.

1. Can I rebox up the parts I installed and return them to the dealer. Getting others opinions before I call the dealer.

2. WTF is wrong with the AC??? I printed out the "troubleshoot the AC" in the FAQ, and am getting ready to run the recommended test, but has anyone else had this happen to them?

I am going on my honeymoon in two weeks and would really like to get my AC working as my future wife and I will be traveling for up to 16 hours on one of our days, and will be in FL and GA, where I will definitely need it.

A thank you in advance to any of the NSX gurus that lend a hand.

Have you considered letting the dealer fix it? I've heard good things about the quality of the NSX service at Leith Acura in Cary...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 March 2002).]

Guess I am headed that route. I am a little worried since they quoted me approx $400 for the chrome inner window moulding though. Today.

I used the troubleshooting guide and it is saying new control unit. Booohooo.....
I guess I am really pissed because I did not do the troubleshooting before I ordered the parts. I ASSUMED that I was having the same problem as all the others. Boy I hope they let me return those parts.

[This message has been edited by tomc92bb000059 (edited 26 March 2002).]

I saw your thread last night and was waiting to see if you could fiy as I have the same defect on my a/c (91 model)printed out the diognostic test page from the facts and so on.I just hadnt gotten around to it as it is second priority to me getting a new clutch.smoked mine and ALL the affordable a/m are backordered.anyway not only does mine blow cold only on high but cold air comes out of the top vents on high but hot air blows at MAX out of the floor vents.so to sum it up I also have the a/c blows only at max but so does the heat.both at the same time out of different vents!was hoping the standard fix the max a/c gimmick would solve both.I will continue to watch the thread and see if anyone knows the answer to your problem.
has anyone else with the max a/c problem experienced the cold air out of the top vents at max while getting hot air at max out of the floor vents.very perplexing.good luck and if you are able to fix it email me please
thanks david
PS sorry I have no good news or help,just wanted you to know others are in the same boat.I think I am going to pay the premium on this one and have the dealer do it.but would like feedback on the hot and cold issue.I have not seen that addressed.just the blows on max only.

There may be more than one problem with the HVAC system and your car has a different issue and that is why the power transitor didn't fix it. I would email the woodwork and ask him. He told me about the power transistor failing on many Acura/Honda products and that is why I only changed the PT and not the blower motor.

But let me describe the situation when the power transistor needs replaced. The entire system will work like normal (modes, heat, cold....), but the blower motor will only operate at the maximum speed. If your NSX has this same condition, the power transitor needs replaced. Otherwise it is something different.

Bob

Originally posted by tomc92bb000059:
OK, AC on high all the time, just like the TSB says. I spend $488 in parts today (blower motor and power transistor) install them myself, get everything hooked back up, start the car, giddy with anticipation, and BAM! No change.

1. Can I rebox up the parts I installed and return them to the dealer. Getting others opinions before I call the dealer.

2. WTF is wrong with the AC??? I printed out the "troubleshoot the AC" in the FAQ, and am getting ready to run the recommended test, but has anyone else had this happen to them?

I am going on my honeymoon in two weeks and would really like to get my AC working as my future wife and I will be traveling for up to 16 hours on one of our days, and will be in FL and GA, where I will definitely need it.

A thank you in advance to any of the NSX gurus that lend a hand.

The control unit in the dash has to be the problem as long as you don't have any wiring issues suhj as unplugged or damaged wires. Its actually pretty common to need the control unit- I replace as many of those as I do evaps and blower motors. If you can't return the parts, which I doubt you can, and you don't want to keep them, I will take them off your hands for my usual wholesale price. That is probabally less than you paid, but obviously I can't pay retail for parts and then sell them for a profit and if I am going to just put them in my parts room untill I need them, I certainly don't want to pay more than my usual price. I don't need or want them, just trying to help you out. I will sell them this summer for sure- I always do.
Everyone else- to verify that the TSB describing this problem is YOUR issue, and not the control unit, you just need to hook up a DVOM to the blower motor power wires to verify which of the two possibilities is your problem. NEVER assume because there is a TSB, that it MUST be your problem.

Cheers,
Mark Basch

Thanks Mark for the offer. Once I find out what the actual problem is I may take you up on it. Losing a little bit is much preferable to losing it all.

For the latest in my story. Leith Acura in Cary (10 minutes from the house, good and bad) is going to check it out tomorrow at 8:30. I am going to wait on it and see what they say. I spent most of the day working on the car and going through the troubleshooting guide in the 91 manual. The control unit is doing some funny things, but I am also getting that I have a wiring problem between the blower motor and the blower high relay, but since I don't have much experience doing electrical troubleshooting, I may be doing something wrong. I think I will leave it up to the experts, and replace what they tell me to myself.

Now for another question. I am curious about the blower high relay. When I turn the fan to high, I hear the blower high relay click, and the fan comes on. JFSNG, I pulled the relay and was going to see which terminals either applied voltage or changed voltage to energize and deenergize the relay. I measured voltages on every terminal, in both positions of the fan on and the fan not working, the voltages stay the same. What is making the relay activate? Been a while since any of my EE classes, but this is really bugging me.

Why does the learning curve always seem to be steep and expensive? I ASSUME it has to do with me ASSUMING all the time.
smile.gif
LOL

As an update, it took them 2 hours to tell me that it could be one of two things, either the faceplace display or the main computer. Didn't know which one, although they were leaning rather heavily towards the computer being the culprit. they said that they had only seen one other NSX with my problems and symptoms. Although the 91 service manual doesn't show it, it appears that the faceplate is connected to the main computer. Anyone that knows any differently please hollar! They quoted me $150 for the labor, $750 for the compter and $1100 for the display, roughly. Whichever they didn't need would not be charged. I told them to hold off, as I will be trying to do the switch myself with some used parts. Those of you that have offered me units for sale, thank you very much, I am still looking and will decide soon.

On another note, I met a board frequenter and fellow NSXer today as he had his beautiful pristine appearing 91 in for a coolant leak. It's a small world when I get a funny look followed by "So you're the guy ranting about his AC?!" Nice to meet you Dave! Hope all it turned out to be was a hose. VIR sounds really great, as as soon as I get settled in with the new job, I will have to check it out. We need to get a Raleigh group together if, for nothing else, a dinner somewhere.

Tom

------------------
eat healthy, exercise regularly, die anyway....

If any of you need the a/c units, I do have them both.
Selling price is $650 Shipped FIRM ( Its in 110% working condition =)
Mike.

Glad to hear you got at least some resolution to your problem. They pressure tested my system several times and could not get it to leak...It appears to have stopped. They also injected dye into the system so if it happens again it can be traced more accurately....I may have fixed the problem myself when I readjusted a clamp on one of the hoses..We'll see.

It was a pleasure talking with you. Also, in reference to the detailing we discussed, you're welcome to come by some weekend and use my equipment..Just give me a call.

Dave

I'm suffering from a similar problem.

For the vast majority of the time, the a/c works only when I set the temperature control to its lowest setting. However, once in a blue moon, the a/c works even in an intermediate setting, and in such cases it won't stop working until I turn off the ignition.

I read the bulletins and replaced the power transistor; it didn't solve the problem.

I'm tired of this a/c that operates only at max or not at all. Any help provided is very much appreciated.

Stan Szeto

Well, I can finally report my findings. I ordered an entire control unit from ERZ, for $400. The unit came, I took about an hour pulling my dash apart, plugged the unit it, and Walllaaa!!! I now have a perfectly working AC. I think I am gonna keep the other new parts (blower motor and resistor, alread installed) in just in case...

For everyone else with erratic sontrol units, the switchout is not that bad and saved me a bunch of money. Even if it happens again, and I have to order another control unit I am still out cheaper than Acura wanted me to be. The only complaint I have, and I am always complaining about something, is that the unit I ordered took about 2 weeks to arrive, one day after I left to get married and go on my honeymoon in the car. My buddy agreed to used my COD and pick up the part for me while I was gone. From Raleigh NC to Charleston SC to Orlando FL to Boca Raton FL to Key West FL to Athens GA back to Raleigh with just the AC either on high or off really lets one get to know his spouse and their inner body temperature....
smile.gif

Pulling the center console out is not bad at all, now that I have done it twice. Once for the AC, and once to re-hook up the stereo that I somehow left with a loose connection after installing the new AC control unit. Gotta love hitting a bump and the stereo dying on you....
When will it end.............
smile.gif

Dave and Tom, I am trying to plan a NSX get together on Sat May 18th. I posted a thread on the southeast board a few days ago. It's going to be a local area car show and I am hoping to get a nice turnout from our NSX community. We have a ton of nice cars scheduled to show. If nothing else, this is a great time to get all our Raleigh and surrounding area owners together so we can start planning some events. You guys def. need to go and drive VIR, it's a blast to sat the least. Not sure when my next event will be , (Mark's supercharger is making a huge dent in the funds
wink.gif
Please private me at [email protected] so we can work on getting together.

------------------
Jason

[This message has been edited by Jason Weaver (edited 06 May 2002).]

Back