• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC recharged with Freon and good for a few weeks and not cold anymore,leak somewhere?

I took to the shop and recharged the AC with freeone, it was good and cold for a few weeks when driving, and now, the ac is not cold anymore, where can the leak be? any help would be great, thanks

Leak.
It's easy enough to change ALL the o-rings in the system to be sure they're all good.
You will be able to see residual oil from where it's leaking and if they put dye in, use a black light in the dark and it'll jump out at you but you should change all the o-rings to the green, high pressure ones anyway.

Cheers
nigel

The couplings on both condenser coils are notorious for leaking from the o-rings. I'd buy them from Acura as they are hard to match from an auto parts store as I have tried. Use a soap bubble or electronic leak detector and always evacuate the system of moisture prior to charging. A new filter drier is highly recommended too to catch extra moisture. This should be a dealer or shop repair unless you have a vacuum pump to recover.
I am not a fan of dye detection. It gets everywhere and replaces capacity of refrigerant. Just an idea.

Any Honda dealer has all you need, just tell them you're doing R-134 and they should give you green o-rings. (high pressure)
No big deal if they aren't but if you want, any parts store has o-ring kits for the DIYer.
Be sure and use a lubricant on each one as you replace them so they won't bunch up or pinch.
I use DC-4 as i've access to it but you can use A/C compressor oil or anything slippery, just don't get excessive. Just enough to make the o-rings slippery.
Also, if your system has been wide open to the atmosphere for more than an hour or so, (and I mean tubes and hoses off and disconnected) follow the Honda M/M, but after doing the initial vacuum for leak check, let it evacuate again for at least 45 min., just to be sure ALL the air has been removed and / or replace the filter drier.
These systems are real simple and easy to access, so if you do it right they'll be good as gold for years.

Cheers
nigel

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
What year is this vehicle, how many miles? If the vehicle is a R-12 vintage has it been converted to 134a and if so do you know what was replaced and how it was done? Do you have a invoice that shows what was done? Lastly, where are you? Are you in the U.S.?

You very well could have a different problem(s) other than a leak.

Last edited:
A sniffer will be your best bet for the moment. If the system has dye then I would use the sniffer and the black light. The sniffer gets you in tight spots. Not to rain on your parade but evaps have been know to leak after 20+ years, I should know.
Most go back with 134 Freon. I went back with R12. I like it much better. Again, the sniffer. Sniff everything, even around the compressor clutch.

Back