• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC whistling

I had my AC serviced two months ago when I did put the car back on the street after the winter. I tested it and it worked fairly well (15 minutes a couple of times spread over the two months).

Yesterday it was really hot outside and I had to use it. I noticed that when I go up with the RPM there is a whistle I can hera inside the cabine. It goes away when I shut the AC off.

What could it be? It seems something "belt" related...

THANKS!

A/C tensioner bearings go bad all the time .They usually make noise ALL the time though.If it's only making it with the A/C on then it sounds like the belt.That s if it's from the engine bay!.Or is it from inside the cabin.?

Yes it is in the engine bay, and I meant that I can hear it inside the cabine while driving. From outside I never tried...

Is this belt going to be a problem? is it correct that the whistle increase with increasing RPMs if it is really the belt?

Thanks a lot!

what about the clutch on the compressor? mine makes some serious noise and the dealer told me i should replace the entire compressor. so, i bought a used one from a 1997 and then was told that they are different parts. i sort of gave up at that point. a good mechanic should be able to identify the problem. my dealer is pretty ignorant. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, I have heard this same noise once before, on my way to NSXPO 2000. I think it started around Kalamazoo and finally stopped in St. Louis, at which point my compressor stopped working. Later that month, my local Acura dealer charged me $300 to fix the compressor stator and then a week later they charged me $1,300 to replace the compressor. They then refunded the $300 stator fix charge.

DanO

you might want to get it checked out. my dealer said my compressor could go at any moment. 1day to 1year. and when it does, it could damage the entire sytem resulting in big bucks. but, then again, my dealer is not the most knowledgeable. ;)

Suddenly the whistle disappeared! I had it 3 times out of 3 times I used the AC until this weekend.
Now it is quiet again (2 out of 2 tests). What could the cause be?

gheba,

Be sure it will come back.
I have the same problem since last year, it happens only when
it's really warm outside, exactly as you discribed.
I've asked questions on this site but got no answers.
After checking the a/c and the compressor, after checking for
possible leaks, even after changing the cooling-gas this
terrible whistling noise keeps coming back.
Today it was very warm here, and this noise was here again.
That's how I found your post, by searching for similar topics.
Let us know if you find a solution.
duke.

My problem is that I will not find a solution: I am totally mechanically impaired! :(

What will I do? Not use it when warm... and use it when cold to keep it running properly (the AC needs to be exercited from time to time) until my next service. Hopefully my mechanic (real NSX guru!) will tell me what to do... but this won't happen for several months I guess (he works 100 miles from here and I do not plan to go there in the near future)!

I cannot stand this noise anymore, so next month I'm gonna
replace the compressor.
If you do a search on this site, (just 'a/c' is enough), you can see
that a lot of fellow owners had the same problem.
Most of the times I read that this noise accures just before the
compressor dies.
Now IF that happens, the entire a/c system can be full of small
metallic parts and it will cost lots more to fix it.
Lud advises not to use the a/c before having the compressor
replaced. So that's what I'm gonna do.
Summer just started.
I'll let you know.
duke.

Back