• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Mouthpiece Says No Plan to Can the Gen 2

i think that the main problem with the new nsx is that it is over priced. if sales don't pick up at the end of this year the nsx will be gone.

Well, he is a PR guy and not an engineer or senior executive, so I'm not surprised by the uninspiring corporate speak. But based on the bluntness of the "no plans to discontinue the NSX", I'd be very surprised if 2019 was the last model year.

If Acura is smart, they will look at the sales success of the simple & inexpensive Civic Type R in the USA and follow suit with the NSX platform. They need a special variant that cuts cost, loses weight, and adds hardcore enthusiast appeal (Type R tuning). It is possible, as they could for instance create a RWD version that loses the front motors and simultaneously cuts the cost of putting them in. But, sadly, these car companies are often too headstrong to admit they need to re-invent a car like this midway through its production cycle.

Last edited:
Headstrong...your are too nice. The car won't be canned for 2019 but if it makes it to 2020, I'll be surprised. As others have posted the number of off-lease that show up will dilute any potential sales for 2020. Sadly, the car isn't desirable. The argument of trimming the hybrid components (ie. front motors) has been brought up but Honda/Acura before. Again, I doubt it will ever happen. All this is a shame cause aesthetically the car is a looker, but in a bizarre twist Honda made a vehicle with an undesirable drivetrain.

Headstrong...your are too nice. The car won't be canned for 2019 but if it makes it to 2020, I'll be surprised. As others have posted the number of off-lease that show up will dilute any potential sales for 2020. Sadly, the car isn't desirable. The argument of trimming the hybrid components (ie. front motors) has been brought up but Honda/Acura before. Again, I doubt it will ever happen. All this is a shame cause aesthetically the car is a looker, but in a bizarre twist Honda made a vehicle with an undesirable drivetrain.

So true. Pretty crazy if you think about, from the company that brought us 9,000 RPM 4-cylinders and 8,300 RPM V6s in their previous sports cars. The company also known as the Honda Motor Company.

i think they have too much invested to stop after 4 or 5 years.

acura is early to the party with the higher volume hybrid super car (compared to the trinity). they should be leading the movement, making a splash, not dipping a toe in the water. typical conservative japanese.

So true. Pretty crazy if you think about, from the company that brought us 9,000 RPM 4-cylinders and 8,300 RPM V6s in their previous sports cars. The company also known as the Honda Motor Company.

As nice as it would be to see the sales volume tick up, this would require R and D dollars to accomplish. With the pokey sales (even with incentives), hard to imagine the bean counters green lighting a variant. Remember, the car has to be built in the same high cost factory. The added R and D cost would likely offset the lower cost of the de-contented car.

I have gotten used to not seeing anyone else in one to waive to.

I expect Honda to come out with a version 3.0 after the Corvette C8 does it's thing.

Interesting you bring up the C8. That car is going to place a big dent in any remaining NSX sales. If they make it as reliable as my C6...ooh...A mid-engine sports car with a V8....I can tell you that there will be a lot of people waiting in line to get one. The NSX as it is currently will be nothing more than a footnote in annals of automotive history. At that point any changes Honda/Acura attempts to make to the NSX will be viewed as irrelevant.

.............not if they reroute the exhaust to above the rear spoiler ........................blown difusssssaaaaaaa...

Interesting you bring up the C8. That car is going to place a big dent in any remaining NSX sales. If they make it as reliable as my C6...ooh...A mid-engine sports car with a V8....I can tell you that there will be a lot of people waiting in line to get one. The NSX as it is currently will be nothing more than a footnote in annals of automotive history. At that point any changes Honda/Acura attempts to make to the NSX will be viewed as irrelevant.

They have to announce they are making a C8 first.

If the base model has a V8 it won't be under $85k. IMO.

An AWD beast with 800hp+ will be about $190k. IMO.

As nice as it would be to see the sales volume tick up, this would require R and D dollars to accomplish. With the pokey sales (even with incentives), hard to imagine the bean counters green lighting a variant. Remember, the car has to be built in the same high cost factory. The added R and D cost would likely offset the lower cost of the de-contented car.

I have gotten used to not seeing anyone else in one to waive to.

That's true, but we can look back in Honda's own history and see that they made two NSX-R variants of Gen 1, both with well under 500 units produced. If making a true "Type R" would make it too expensive, they can do what Audi did with the R8 RWS and make some sort of NSX "Club Sport" or something that reduces the price. I don't think it would take that much R&D cost to de-content the car, and "the car isn't selling, so we will abandon the platform" would be a pretty pathetic policy from a company that is hugely profitable and has the money to invest further in their halo product. I know you are taking a realist stance, but I'm providing the optimist alternative that I hope becomes reality...

Last edited:
I must be the only one here who thinks Acura as a whole is following in Pontiacs footsteps. The brand outside of the Nsx offers nothing in terms of power that a Honda has. Couple that with wild not so aesthetically pleasing design features. I just don't get it. I still love my MDX but it's a pig with no pickup. I would be more concerned about the brand as a whole, not just the nsx...

That's true, but we can look back in Honda's own history and see that they made two NSX-R variants of Gen 1, both with well under 500 units produced. If making a true "Type R" would make it too expensive, they can do what Audi did with the R8 RWS and make some sort of NSX "Club Sport" or something that reduces the price. I don't think it would take that much R&D cost to de-content the car, and "the car isn't selling, so we will abandon the platform" would be a pretty pathetic policy from a company that is hugely profitable and has the money to invest further in their halo product. I know you are taking a realist stance, but I'm providing the optimist alternative that I hope becomes reality...

I am glad you are here and the the approach you have.

A Type R or some variant would be fun to see.

When I first showed my NSXto my younger son he asked how the top opens. When I replied that it was a fixed roof, that it was the only way it came and that I would have gotten an open top version if they had one, I could see the disappointment in his face (he really enjoyed the S2000 with the top down).

if you cut your own sunroof into it maybe jinks will buy it from ya.....

A "Bumblebee" version would probably double the monthly sales number!!!!

To be fair, @$150-170K loaded "out of the door price" is bang on, it is similar to a loaded 991/992 C4S, R8 base, ZR1, Maserati, BMW I8, AMG GTC etc are in the same price range, if the NSX is not better, is as good as those vehicles. After owning 10 Porsche, I rather spend similar money on NSX :)

If compare to 488, they are over $300K, 610-4 also $300K, even NSX is not 100% as good, but 95- 98%, R8 plus still cost a bit more, which I think is the closest competitor to the new NSX with look, executive, AWD, fast, luxury brand, not exotic brand. (new R8 don't sell that well too)

Even the stunning McLaren 570S, is a $240-250K vehicle, it is a touch quicker, and a touch sportier, but not AWD nor hybrid, ~$70K more, and sure not as good daily driving as NSX.

I still think it is the Marketing issue, when NSX launched, only heavy loaded $200K version available, if they launched the "lower spec" $150-160K unit, get more buyers, more people talk about it! And for some reason, early cars are slower than late models from reviews, (Opposite to Ferrari or Porsche, launch vehicles are always QUICKER than production vehicles) could be the tires, could be the ecu whatever..

More important, wrong timing! 10 year too late, most NSX fan boys like me, are ~40 year old old farts, with kids and family, those 30 yr old young professional don't know how great NSX was in the 90's, they will just give their money to VW group and Fiat group!! It was on news last month, a 30yr old Canadian drives his Lambo 610-4 everyday in winter, even -40c with 10 inch snow, but that is all he has and spends! On big loan! Should he buy a new NSX instead of a used lambo? absolutely!! But will he? No .. he wants his facebook friends, IG friends know he is driving a Lambo, not Honda/Acura!

(Damn, now I miss driving my NSX! Been hibernated for 5 month already! :( )

^The fastest way out of a bad loan.:biggrin: I love the Orca inspired paint scheme. But there's still no moonroof.

I like to think the challange to manufactures was to show what kind of a ME they could make.

They are WHIM cars.

They are also a showcase for automotive chutzpah.

Maybe HONDA will make a V12 (two CBX motors!) NSX 3.0 after looking at C8 sales #'s.

Announce a limited availability but keep making a ME.

There is a finite market for whim cars like the FORD GT (looks bitchin, a V6 though).

I think they did 500 @$500k a pop.

Back