• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura NSX Vs. BMW e46 M3

Okay, I am looking for a sports car right now.
Requirements:
1) Somewhat comfortable, mainly a weekend car.
2) Must have good handling, I will be auto-xing every now and then in it.
3) May take it to the track once or twice a year.
4) Car will be kept in as close to stock form so long as I can resist :rolleyes:
5) Okay maintenance requirements (~2.5-4k/year)

I thought I was set on getting an e46 M3....until I began looking at NSXs (mainly for fun, never thought I could afford one). Well, apparently I can afford one now (30-40k price range). I really like the way the car looks, except for the tail lights (any mods out there for this?).

I guess what I want to know is:
1) How is the car performance wise in straight line and in handling.
2) How does the NSX perform on the track/autox vs other sports cars?
3) Are the NSX's maintenance costs are lower than an M3's? (What is the snap ring range?)
4) How reliable is the NSX over 75-80k miles? 100k miles?
5) Where would I take the car to perform a PPI? Would a normal acura dealership technician be familiar with it or would I have to take it to some specialty shop?
6) Are there any issues with the car being so low? (rock chips, pot holes, etc)

(Ive autox'ed an e46 m3 so I know how it feels. Unfortunately, no one I know has an NSX so I can't answer some of these questions)

Sorry for so many questions, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Okay, I am looking for a sports car right now.
Requirements:
1) Somewhat comfortable, mainly a weekend car.
2) Must have good handling, I will be auto-xing every now and then in it.
3) May take it to the track once or twice a year.
4) Car will be kept in as close to stock form so long as I can resist :rolleyes:
5) Okay maintenance requirements (~2.5-4k/year)

I thought I was set on getting an e46 M3....until I began looking at NSXs (mainly for fun, never thought I could afford one). Well, apparently I can afford one now (30-40k price range). I really like the way the car looks, except for the tail lights (any mods out there for this?).

I guess what I want to know is:
1) How is the car performance wise in straight line and in handling.
2) How does the NSX perform on the track/autox vs other sports cars?
3) Are the NSX's maintenance costs are lower than an M3's? (What is the snap ring range?)
4) How reliable is the NSX over 75-80k miles? 100k miles?
5) Where would I take the car to perform a PPI? Would a normal acura dealership technician be familiar with it or would I have to take it to some specialty shop?
6) Are there any issues with the car being so low? (rock chips, pot holes, etc)

(Ive autox'ed an e46 m3 so I know how it feels. Unfortunately, no one I know has an NSX so I can't answer some of these questions)

Sorry for so many questions, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

hmmm what year nsx are you looking for? the 3.0 liter ones or the 3.2 liter ones?

1) straight line speed for the 3.2 liter stock should be a drivers race with a E46 M3, the 3.0 will need bolt ons to be a little quicker. Handling on this car is damn good, and it feels very good, but its the tires that makes the biggest difference for these cars. The handling limit with the stock suspension should be more than what you can reach safely on the streets.

2) NSX sucks at the auto X because we have a very slow ratio steering rack, and if your talking about the 3.0 liter models, we don't have power steering so it will be a chore to turn at auto cross speed, we also have a pretty poor turning radius because of this rack, the wheels don't have steer in a super high angle. On the race track it should hold its on because it is easier to drive with a very flat tq curve, and good top end.

3) NSX maintenance cost is pretty high for a Honda, but you don't the cycle time for each one is pretty spaced out. The timing belt and water pump is around $1200 and you do it every 60K or 6 years which ever comes first, the clutch for the 3.0 liter 5 speed tranny ( twin disk clutch ) cost $2000 included with labor, the 3.2 liter 6 speed clutch job ( single disck )will be around $3000 included with labor because of the dual mass fly wheel. The snap ring issue is a small ring that holds the input or output shafts to the tranny case, there is a few of them that ranges from the years 91-92 that would have this problem where the rings would snap because the tolerance on the tranny case is too big causing ring the snap. They have isolated this situation by looking at transmission serial numbers that runs from and to a certain range. Other than that, just change all the filters and your oil every 3K miles, and the tires also wear out pretty quick too in the earlier models because of its very aggressive toe in settlings.

4) NSX are extremely reliable, they are honda's afterall and there are quit a few guys here running over 100K that tracks their car on a regular bases, there are even a few guys here that have hit 200K miles and did an oil analysis , and the engine was mint. The chassis and body is also resilient to corrosion and rust since its completely made out of aluminum.

5) That I have no clue.

6) same issues that you would face driving any lowered vehicle.

sportcar never comfortable. LOL. M3 will not be comfortable.
NSX is not comfortable ,either.

NSX not comfortable? I guess comfort is in the butt of the beholder. To me, the NSX is very comfortable. I drove it to Las Vegas, a 7 hour trip, and it was every bit as comfortable as my x's 2001 CL. Not as much room to stretch out, but still a very nice ride.

Had an E46 M3cic but got real bored of SMG after only six months. However, it was highly reliable and very mod friendly. Just didn't feel connected to the "ultimate driving machine", and the exclusivity of ownership was loss due to every teenage boy getting one for his 16th Bday.

I own a 2000 (3.2L - NA2). I paid 500 plus 50 for fluids for labor on my clutch job, I had my flywheel rebuilt by RPS for 100 and I had my pressure plate machined for 75, my new clutch disc cost me 250.

Total price of parts and labor for a 3.2 = $975

I have put a set of tires on the rear which needed it when i got the car (285/30/19) cost me $650 mounted and balanced rear only (BFG KDW2)

all other maintenence is normal

everyone has an M3, i wanted to be different- this car gets looks.

straight line- I have roasted modded stock E46, and modded E36 M3, modded G35 coupes, 2005 Modded STi (intake, uppipe, downpipe, FMIC, exhaust) all the American stuff is easy.

Reliability- do a search = someone here has hit 300K miles on a daily driver

Handling- no question- its what the car is known for.

car being low???????? Mine is DROPPED 2 inches and i clear speed bumps easy.

OP: you pointed me to your thread so here are my thoughts....

1) First I must ask you what other car you have or is this your only ride? If you only have this one car, just buy the m3 and forget the nsx - easy choice.
The m3 is a sports car but in disguise it's also a great daily driver that you can cary 4 people and luggage. NSX forget it so I hope you have another car.

2) I've owned my e46 m3 for almost 5 years now and I know that car inside and out so don't listen to what some of these others are saying about the m3 not being fast or not a real sports car. The e46 m3 can easily keep up with any normal NSX stock for stock :rolleyes: I drive my nsx with a bunch of my m3 buddies and the nsx can hold it's own but lacks some midrange punch. NEITHER of these cars are drag racers or rockets off the line nor can they run low 12's in the quarter mile but everyone raves about both cars and there is a good reason for that.

3) Maintenance $$$ I spent on my m3 is almost non existent except for tires and the usual oil change. The car has been totally trouble free.

4) When you say low....the roofline of the m3 is higher yes but in terms of factory ride height from bumper to floor, both cars are not that much different so not an issue here either.

5) M3 feels like it has more torque and midrange punch while the NSX definitely feels stronger on the high end of the rpm range. Both cars are diferent cars and euro vs. Japanese always has some differences.

6) Comfort wise I'm 6'2 and BOTH cars are just fine for me with no issues. The NSX is a bit harder to get in/out of but of course the m3 has more total cabin space if you like the +2 arrangement. The NSX feels like a limo compared to my s2000....haha

7) Yes I have to agree the NSX gets more looks but that is because it's modded and the shape. The e46 m3 is a great car that few cars today can match. Name another sports car that can seat 4 and around $50k?

Ultimately what are you buying this car for? To attract ladies or for your own enjoyment? NSX has more wow factor but a nicely modded m3 can also have that affect :)

Also judging by your price range, you are looking at pre 2001 NA1 models and personally I'd rather have a 05+ m3 with the comp package over a NA1 NSX. The newer NSX's are nicer but you won't find a nice example for under $50k.

My advice, go drive both cars or find someone to give you a ride in the nsx but sounds like the m3 is more your cup of tea...

rick

If you are doing autocrossing get the M3. NSX is not stiff enough with Targa.

Unless it's a 97+ Automatic. All 3.0L NSXs regardless of year are NA1. :wink:

That's correct! But I don't think he was comparing an automatic NSX.
pcheers1.gif

That is interesting choice of cars. The e46 is a good car and nice mods for it. I like the 3 series cars. I have a 335i coupe and love it. The straight line speed isn't great like someone said but both cars have nice upgrades. Stock for stock I would get a 91' NSX. It will hold its value more as well over time. The e46 doesn't have the novelty to it that a NSX will. There are only 8000 NSX's in the USA. Now if you are talking about a new E92 M3 coupe than that is a whole other conversation. Those are sweet!

Just as a FYI 97+ are NA2.

oops, sorry I'm still an nsx newbie in some ways :)

Anyone who buys an automatic nsx should be shot! ok that maybe xtreme but who buys an auto nsx? Sorry if I offended anyone but perhaps someone can tell me WHY the want an auto nsx??????:confused:

His budget is around $40k so don't think a new m3 is in that price range!

Question again is if this is his only car....

rk

just want u guys know that my comforty is probably different than others.
for me, its suspension is kinda stiff to drive every day. it's a stock 97 suspension.

compare with a toyota camry, honda prelude,(my first 2 cars) i feel those 2 are more comfortable than nsx. LOL.

i dont care about nsx's small trunk and its small interior.

the only thing i hate in nsx is just its cup holder. i dont think i can use them to hold any cup.

nsx is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. u drive it on road, u grab much attention. if it's what u want, it will be your choice. i am sure that u dont get people's attention with M3 unless some M3 fans.
M3. it just looks like a 3 series coupe. of course, performance will be better than 3 series.

some people care about his car's brand. they will feel BMW will be better than HONDA anyway.

One major question, what is under the front hood of an NSX? I have yet to see what the hood/trunk has. I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to some pics.

Okay, This might take awhile to respond to everyone:

1) s14_tat: Unfortunately with my price range, I am probably only likely to get a 3.0L 5 Speed.....unless I get a really high mileage NA2. Maintenance costs seem pretty cheap considering what I was planning to spend on the m3; seems like a well built machine. Thanks for the insight on the auto-xing; this info will be a big factor in my final decision.

2) NSXkkk: M3 is actually fairly comfortable to me. I guess everyone has different standards.

3) ChongLee: That doesn't help with my decision :confused:

4) NSXAMG996TT: Hey, someone from sac! Hehe, I don't know about the lack of exclusiveness for the m3. I'm actually a graduate student at Davis, and Ive seen a total of 4x e46 M3s here and 1x NSX (might have been yours lol).

5) 95gsrturbo: Has your NSX been modded in any way? Seems hard to believe that you can walk a modded e46 that bad without mods.

6) s4play: Thanks for responding to my pm. I actually have a a civic as a beater atm. The car would be mainly a weekender but I would love to use it as a DD. In this respect, a m3 would be a better choice in case I would ever have to haul some people. Ive heard from friends/stories that maintenance on m3 or usually hit or miss; ie. some have a lot of problems and others have no problems at all. "To attract ladies or for your own enjoyment?" Heheh; how about both :biggrin: I guess my question to you is, which car do you enjoy driving more? (assuming your m3 is stick, not smg).

6) VegasSpeed: I personally don't like the new shape of the bmws except for your car, the 335i coupe (which I think looks pretty sexy, congrats btw). I am also paying cash for the car and I don't want to pull out any loans to finance it; which is why I have a lower price range.

Thanks again for all your replys! You all have been very informative. :smile:

comforty is different for everyone. one of my friend is 6'4. when he sit into my NSX, i better take targa off. otherwise, it will be really tough for him to get into the car, and have any trip. a 6'1 guy even said that S2000 is comfortable.

visit a local BMW dealer service dept, and ask all quotes on potential repair cost?

oops, sorry I'm still an nsx newbie in some ways :)

Anyone who buys an automatic nsx should be shot! ok that maybe xtreme but who buys an auto nsx? Sorry if I offended anyone but perhaps someone can tell me WHY the want an auto nsx??????:confused:

His budget is around $40k so don't think a new m3 is in that price range!

Question again is if this is his only car....

rk

Several Personal Reasons....

1. Price
2. Pref
3. STill an NSX

I have auto and 5sp CTSC.......I got my auto at a great price then bought the SC one 6 months later. Yes its a diff, but it stills an NSX....I would put my auto tranny against any stock 5 speed any day on a straight line....I confess I have rebuilt Tranny, with stage 2 tq convertor...which gave the car allot more pulling power and longer gears due to chip......from 0 to about 70 my automatic holds its on....its all down hill after 90----But drop shifting brings it to life....

all in all ---its allot of reasons

Overseas they have done allot of moding with automatics(nsx).... I would rather have an automatic on the drag strip......I was at the tack the other night and a 600hp auto supra was killing everyone....

I have both. 01 E46 M3 and a 98 NSX. Both are nice cars but different. Looking at getting out of the M3 but planning on keeping the NSX. When stock, straight line they were equal. NSX had better road feel although both track equally well. The M3 is ALOT more forgiving than the NSX which is why I think that you can drive them equally well. I would guess that a talented driver would get more from an NSX than an M3. Kinda like a driver with skills can do better with a 911 than an M3 (Friend of mine who is an instructor in PCA and BMW, has 993 and E46 M3, faster laps with the 993).

Cost of ownership is essentially the same except that oil change in BMW cost more assuming that you are going to stick with the 10w60 oil. Parts cost about the same.

You should be able to find a 97-01 NSX within your price range and E46 M3 for around 25-30K so the M3 is cheaper. I would suggest that you find an earlier NSX with a Comptech SC and spend a little on the suspension, coilovers and sway bars, and then it will definiely be faster and handle better than the M3.

If I had to pick between a stock 97-01 NSX vs stock E46 M3, NSX. (My NSX is far from stock)

BMW, perfect daily sports car.

NSX- perfect expensive toy to compliment your daily drive.

Get the BMW if it's your only drive, more practical. Good luck.

A friend of mine wants to buy an auto NSX. Should I shoot him? :rolleyes:

For his prospective use of the car, and his preference in the City (San Francisco), it will suit his needs.

I have them both and love them both. I love the NSX more.

My M3 has a Borla exhaust. My NSX has DC headers, HKS exhaust, Cantrell Intake, AC Delete and minor weight reduction (about 70 lbs).

The NSX is more fun.

The NSX is a better weekend car.

The M3 is a better daily driver.

The NSX is generally more reliable.

The M3 has better low-end torque.

The NSX shines at redline and begs for more.

My M3 is slightly faster 0-60 than my NSX, primarily due to gearing. 60-160 they are basically equal.

I have tracked both and they have different strengths but are very close in overall speed.

From what you describe, the NSX is probably the better choice for you.

This is my 2nd NSX and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

I bought an old E28 M5, so my M3 is going to be sold.

Back