• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Owner - NYC Area

Hello Team! FINALLY a first time NSX owner! Pulled the trigger on a 96 Red Targa with tan interior. She has been loaded on the trailer and will be here tomorrow... My stable currently consists of a Porsche 997.2 Turbo and an E46 M3 Convertible and now the NSX. Back in 2005, I had an S2000 and regretted selling that car and wanted to get back into another Honda.. Well, when this opportunity came up, I couldn't resist getting this NSX and here I am. She is stock and has about 70K miles. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Welcome! There are a few of us in in Westchester County, hope to see you one of these days soon! Make sure you join the NSXCA

welcome from NE Pa...and 96 is the finest vintage...;):cool:

Have fun adding your own miles to your NA1! Oh, pictures please, so I know I didn't respond to a bot post. : )

Off the truck today... Delivery was supposed to be 2 days ago, but transport was held up due to weather. Gave her a quick drive and absolutely love the car. First impressions getting in -feels lower than my lowered 997 turbo, wish I was 10 years younger...LOL.. Took it for a blast around the block and wow, the handling is ridiculous, feels like it is on rails. Love driving the car. I was worried it was going to be underpowered but the car is way fun enough to get in trouble with and first impression is that I love this thing.
Only things I need to look into right now are -
  1. Clutch grabs very high on the pedal. Thought I remembered reading this may be normal? But man, it is very high up there. Feels weird coming from the M3 to this car.
  2. Brake pedal is hard. Going to bleed the system and change the fluid. Brakes stop fine, so not sure if it is just me and I forgot how 1996 brakes feel or if something is amiss.
Other than that, so far so great!

Attachments

• IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 17
Off the truck today... Delivery was supposed to be 2 days ago, but transport was held up due to weather. Gave her a quick drive and absolutely love the car. First impressions getting in -feels lower than my lowered 997 turbo, wish I was 10 years younger...LOL.. Took it for a blast around the block and wow, the handling is ridiculous, feels like it is on rails. Love driving the car. I was worried it was going to be underpowered but the car is way fun enough to get in trouble with and first impression is that I love this thing.
Only things I need to look into right now are -
  1. Clutch grabs very high on the pedal. Thought I remembered reading this may be normal? But man, it is very high up there. Feels weird coming from the M3 to this car.
  2. Brake pedal is hard. Going to bleed the system and change the fluid. Brakes stop fine, so not sure if it is just me and I forgot how 1996 brakes feel or if something is amiss.
Other than that, so far so great!
Welcome to NSX Prime and congrats on that beautiful '96!

The NSXCA Northeast region is a wonderful group of folks and I had many great years with them in my 91 when I lived in NYC. Make sure to join!

High clutch grab is normal on the NSX. If the clutch master cylinder has been replaced, it's probably worth checking the free play. Easy to do with a flashlight and a ruler.

Your brake caliper pistons and seals are probably shot. This is totally normal for the older NA1 cars and now even the newer NA2 NSXs. In fact, in Japan, they are required to be replaced every 5 years in order to pass registration. The symptom is a brake pedal that feels like a brick and it's more on/off than progressive. New NSX brakes should be firm, but progressive and you should be able to move the pistons in the caliper by hand. Looks like you need an overhaul, which like I said is totally normal for a nearly 30- year old car. ;)

This is a great community and we're all happy to help you through stuff like this. Glad you are enjoying the car- there's really nothing like it.

Welcome to NSX Prime and congrats on that beautiful '96!

The NSXCA Northeast region is a wonderful group of folks and I had many great years with them in my 91 when I lived in NYC. Make sure to join!

High clutch grab is normal on the NSX. If the clutch master cylinder has been replaced, it's probably worth checking the free play. Easy to do with a flashlight and a ruler.

Your brake caliper pistons and seals are probably shot. This is totally normal for the older NA1 cars and now even the newer NA2 NSXs. In fact, in Japan, they are required to be replaced every 5 years in order to pass registration. The symptom is a brake pedal that feels like a brick and it's more on/off than progressive. New NSX brakes should be firm, but progressive and you should be able to move the pistons in the caliper by hand. Looks like you need an overhaul, which like I said is totally normal for a nearly 30- year old car. ;)

This is a great community and we're all happy to help you through stuff like this. Glad you are enjoying the car- there's really nothing like it.
Thanks!!! Can't wait for the weekend to start to dig in and really learn the car. Appreciate your assistance!

Thanks!!! Can't wait for the weekend to start to dig in and really learn the car. Appreciate your assistance!

Did you just have it at GT Japanese? If so, looked mint! I was having some work done on my Integra and looked it over.

Did you just have it at GT Japanese? If so, looked mint! I was having some work done on my Integra and looked it over.
Yes I did. Thank you!! Had them go over the car and check everything and then change all fluids, filters and plugs to set a new maintenance baseline. Very happy with their work, prices and communication.

Yes I did. Thank you!! Had them go over the car and check everything and then change all fluids, filters and plugs to set a new maintenance baseline. Very happy with their work, prices and communication.

Kun is the best! Only one allowed to work on my stuff.

Back