• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura ZDX

Anybody test drive or own one? Opinions?

I never drove it but I sat in one at the auto expo. IMO, it is the worst acura ever made. It is just very awkward on the inside.

I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs and I couldn't fit in the back seats or the drivers seat. My knees were just pushed up against the steering wheel and I couldn't move the seat back very far to straighten out my legs. In the back seat, my head was just rubbing against the head liner. I almost had to crook my neck to sit back there.

The "trunk" could only hold about two grocery bags. Forget about anything else. There are a bunch of little compartments but they're only good for tools and little things. I think an S2000 has a bigger trunk. :eek:

Last edited:
I looked at one the other day when I had my RL at the dealership for service. It is not AS BAD looking as I had thought when I first saw the photos in the magazines. I guess it's just not a photogenic shape. Of course I didn't really like the 2nd gen MDX with the shovel grille when it first came out either but it has grown on me.

The ZDX costs more than an MDX and IMO is not as practical. It would appear that the ZDX is supposed to Acura's sporty SUV to compete with the Infiniti FX and BMW X6.

Like Vic said in the post above the ZDX has almost no cargo space with the rear seats up and the rear seats are not very roomy to begin with. I don't think a full size set of golf clubs would fit in the ZDX with 4 passengers.

Of course the ZDX gets all of the electronics doodads that the RL has with the Collision Mitigation Braking, etc.

Still for my money I would get the MDX. If I wanted something smaller and sporty I would get a RDX and a used S2000.

Like said above, it is meant to compete directly with the X6 and FX35. Acura is not shy about marketing the car towards SINKS and DINKS. (Single Income, No Kids and Double Income, No Kids)

The rear seats are estimated to be in the down position most of the time while 2 people travel. Acura will tell you from the start that if you're looking for more room, get an RDX or MDX.

The first one that we ever saw was a black on black Advance model. It was a P2 car. (prototype 2) Acura built 23 of these to tour the country and do training with the dealers. They will all be destroyed when they are done. We were able to ride in it, but not drive.

I have to admit that when I first heard about this car, I was wondering who asked for this type of car. But the more I learned about the car and saw pictures of it, I grew to like it more and more. Then I saw this black P2 car sitting on the showroom floor while it was here for the day. I think it's gorgeous in person. It would also work really well for someone who doesn't have rear passengers often, if at all. Obviously for the money, the 2010 MDX makes more sense for most buyers. That's why they aren't planning on selling more than 6,000 the first year.

Funny you mention it.. I had recently narrowed down my options to a 2010 Murano or 2010 FX35, with the MDX as a possibility. When I went online, I saw the ZDX. So - I did the "360 tour" and after about 3 minutes, I laughed and said no way in hell.

Sidenote - I chose the 2010 Murano to replace my 2004 Armada. So far, I LOVE IT.

I like its looks a lot actually. It's the first good looking Honda product I've seen since 2005. It's probably not that practical if you have a family. If you are single then its probably fine.

I just received the Acura "Style" magazine- they had an article about it. I think it looks great, but the cargo carrying area appears to be pretty small.

Last edited:
This is a car that needs to be seen in person. The size of the car really surprised me in person.

It could be A LOT WORSE

It could be the Honda Crosstour...

crosstour-front.jpg

AHH! MY EYES!!!

It could be A LOT WORSE

It could be the Honda Crosstour...

crosstour-front.jpg

AHH! MY EYES!!!

Other than the ZDX, what current Honda or Acura is good looking? I can't think of one. The Civic SI I like... CRV? eh... pilot? ugly... accord? meh... crosstour? puke. S2000 was nice its gone. NSX? gone. New TL and TSX are OK, RL is generic, MDX is Ok and I am being generous with my "OK's"... where is there one single GOOD LOOKING car? how does a company with such vast resources and designers produce a car like the one above? how is that possible? Looks like something a 4 year old drew up.

Last edited:
Other than the ZDX, what current Honda or Acura is good looking? I can't think of one. The Civic SI I like... CRV? eh... pilot? ugly... accord? meh... crosstour? puke. S2000 was nice its gone. NSX? gone. New TL and TSX are OK, RL is generic, MDX is Ok and I am being generous with my "OK's"... where is there one single GOOD LOOKING car? how does a company with such vast resources and designers produce a car like the one above? how is that possible? Looks like something a 4 year old drew up.

They missed the mark on the Crosstour......Aim high - hit high; Aim low - hit low.

Acura and Honda styling has really gone astray lately.

Particularly so with Acura.

There is no current Acura in the lineup that I like or would purchase.

I realize this is a subjective matter but usually over the years, there was usually one or two models out of the lineup that I admired even if I wouldn't purchase one.

I find the current styling theme with the big ass V-shaped boomerang in the front to be overdone and out of proportion. Also there are a few Acuras that have that awkward piece of shiny-edged black trim at the end of the side window line that appears tacked on.

Very disappointing.

I'd actually consider a new Cadillac before an Acura.

The Advance Package ZDX drives surprising well and I quite like the interior with the Sumatra colored leather. I will probably consider one when it's time to replace my S4 Avant (and I hear there may be a supercharger that DA could install-they have one on a 6-speed TL already).

the question i have to ask and hopefully people can chime in on

Most and i would say 70% or greater of CURRENT honda/acura owners don't like the new style or think most of their modern lineup is not practical or not priced appropriate. Therefore...they just lost all those people to another brand if they are looking to get another vehicle. Therefore, in theory, they are aiming to gain MORE than that lost in other future customers. YEaaaaah, don't think so. FAIL.

Ugly all day long. Horrible sightlines out the side and back and marginal real utility. I don't understand this car at all.

I agree with you that good looking pickings are slim at the Honda and Acura dealerships right now. Civic Si looks good. I also like the way the current Fit looks. Kind of quirky cool in its own way. :)

The New TL is growing on me. My Dealer had a 6-speed with the tech package parked in the service lobby last time I was in there and it wasn't hideous- also Ron Jon makes a grill replacement that gets rid of that awful "Power Plenum" buck tooth that Acura Design came up with. With the Ron Jon grille the car looks pretty damn good.

53.jpg

I think a Black 4G TL 6-speed tech package completely murdered would look awesome. Blacked out wheels that are flush to the body with 40 series rubber, a conservative drop and that RonJon grille and I think it could be made into a winner.

Unfortunate that in order to make the car palatable you have to change it. That Power plenum is just horrible design IMO.

Phil

Last edited:
Here is what Arthur St Antoine of Motortrend said about the ZDX....

http://www.acura.com/content/pdf/MotorTrend_article.pdf

And here is what AutoExtremist Peter DeLorenzo had to say...

autoextremist.com said:
........And what about Honda? Here is a company that was founded on risk-taking and pushing the envelope by a gifted engineer who believed in the enduring strengths of solid, reliable and good performing engines. It wasn’t the Honda Quality Company, or the Honda Transportation Company, it was the Honda Motor Company, a bold, competitive enterprise that reveled in innovation and proved its competence and technical acumen on racetracks the world over.

This was the Japanese automobile company that was crawling with enthusiasts - and the absolute antithesis of what Toyota stood for - the one that marched to a different drummer and awed its competitors and buyers alike with a series of vehicles that bristled with creativity, vision and an unbridled sense of how it was supposed to be.

But that wasn’t the car company on display at Cobo Hall last week. No, the Honda I witnessed at the Detroit Auto Show was barely recognizable, a lurid mash-up of reduced expectations, abominable design, paunchy, overweight and miserable excuses for “new” (the horrendous Honda Crosstour and Acura ZDX being egregious examples No. 1 & 2), the stunningly bad (the entire Acura lineup is a living and breathing class on how not to design cars), and a flat-out blown opportunity, the frighteningly mediocre and wildly underwhelming Honda CR-Z.

What happened? How can a car company with such a glorious history and pedigree drive it off into a ditch so convincingly? How can a company that was so out front of everyone else in terms of engineering-in responsiveness and “fun-to-drive” into their vehicles end-up with a product lineup that’s so relentlessly bland and un-Honda-like that it’s just flat-out shocking?

We all saw this coming, of course. When the brilliantly balanced and exquisitely executed S2000 sports car was put out to pasture with no replacement you just knew that there was an ill-wind blowing at Honda headquarters. In the “old” days that never would have been allowed to happen, and to me it signaled a fundamental lack of understanding, or worse, a growing chorus of “it doesn’t matter” from a car company that should damn well know better.

There are some signs of life at Honda with the recent regime change, but then again they’re going to have to prove to me – and to its legions of fans out there in Consumer Land – that they not only get it, but that they’re going to get back to what they do best, and that is to build some of the best and most desirable mainstream cars available in the world.

Until that time I guess we’re stuck with exactly one vehicle from Honda – the Fit – that at least reminds us somewhat of what they’re capable of doing. Not Good...........

A strong opposing opinion from a journalist who isn't sucking on the automotive advertising tit...

P

Last edited:
And here is what AutoExtremist Peter DeLorenzo had to say...

A strong opposing opinion from a journalist who isn't sucking on the automotive advertising tit...

P

And I agree with him completely.

All is not well at Honda. Their best cars are their two cheapest cars. The fit and the civic. The rest is generic and ugly. How does a recently updated RL make it to 7th place (out of 8) in MT's luxury sedan comparison test? 7th? for a model that is all updated?

Man it is embarassing to think the NSX is an Acura.

Here is what Arthur St Antoine of Motortrend said about the ZDX....

http://www.acura.com/content/pdf/MotorTrend_article.pdf

I maintain that the ZDX is a silly car and think this supposedly positive piece is proof positive.

The ZDX has poor ingress/egress, limited visibility, doesn't handle as well as a proper sports sedan, and doesn't offer the utility of a "proper" sports sedan or minivan. So what are you left with? Two very comfortable front seats wrapped up in an outer body shell that I think it's safe to say 9 out of 10 people don't find attractive.

If this is the best Honda/Acura have to offer the US market this once proud auto company is really in deep ca ca.

very niche market...

If RonJon offered a JDM/Euro Legend front grille analog for the USDM RL, wow- I'd be all over it! The '09 RL is a solid platform w/ exceptional build quality, terrific driving dynamics, innovative engineering/manufacturing, and the styling/design is much more upmarket relative to the '05-'08 models, after the "refresh". . .

(not to mention, it's possible to get $8k-$10k off MSRP on a new RL depending on equipment/package level)
How does a recently updated RL make it to 7th place (out of 8) in MT's luxury sedan comparison test? 7th? for a model that is all updated?
When the RL was released in '05, it was top-in-class for import premium mid-sized luxury AWD six-cylinder sports-sedans market segment (ie. Audi A6 3.2 Quattro, BMW 530iX, Mercedes Benz E350 4MATIC, Volvo-whatever, Infiniti M35 AWD, Lexus GS350 AWD, etc').

In '09, there was a "refresh"/MMC (Mid-Model Change) in terms of front/rear cosmetic appearance but the interior & most mechanical/technical details remained the same. This wasn't a quote/unquote "update". . .

FWIW, the '10 RL is still the same platform/model as the '05 RL, sans a few cosmetic changes (starting in '09). It's far from being a newly updated model. The next RL is rumored to be LWB w/ a V8 and/or V10, and even hybrid... and many years from production.

Last edited:
I truly hate to bag on the new Acura design direction because I have been a loyal owner and fan of their products for all of my adult life, but I feel it is my responsibility to point out that they took a wrong turn.

If a good friend of mine was dressed like an idiot I'd tell him. It might hurt his feelings a bit, but at least he wouldn't go out into public looking like an ass.

Unfortunately a LOT of people have been telling Honda their new design direction is poorly chosen (did you hear about the facebook launch for the Crosstour? Hilarity ensues...) , but they seem to be intent on their course.

It is the equivalent of that buddy who just wont quit wearing that Ed Hardy hat even though everyone tells him he looks like a douche bag...

Phil

It is the equivalent of that buddy who just wont quit wearing that Ed Hardy hat even though everyone tells him he looks like a douche bag...

Phil

Excellent analogy Phil.:)

Back