• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Adding navi and headunit...

Hi, everyone. I'd like to add a JDM nav pod and some kind of navigation to my NSX, as well a new stereo headunit because my stock Bose headunit's display has crapped out. I'd like to have iPod functionality as well, and Bluetooth is not a major priority because I have a Bluetooth headset already.

I've been reading a lot of older posts in this forum about different people's projects and I just wanted to elicit the latest feedback from people about what they would recommend at this point in time, given what's available out there today. Sorry for the bunch of questions, but I've got a lot of them. :)

I thought about not cutting into the center console, leaving the stock one there, and simply replacing the Bose headunit with a used, working one. I was thinking I could get away with installing the Alpine IVA-W205 in the nav pod, and with the Alpine PMD-B200 Blackbird docked inside, that would give me a touchscreen stereo and nav system in the nav pod area with fewer glare problems. However, in my research, I did read that the nav pod is only deep enough to accomodate a monitor only. So I guess that means the W205 won't fit?

I assume the only workaround is to install a monitor only in the nav pod, such as the Alpine TME-740BT that everyone seems to like. Then I'd have to cut the center console in order to accomodate a double-DIN headunit, such as the W205. Does this sound about right? At least one advantage is that the nav maps would be close to the windshield, and I wouldn't have to look so far down when I take my eyes off the road to look at the nav.

Do I really need a monitor in the nav pod though? When the Blackbird is docked in the W205, doesn't the W205's screen show the map? That would seem logical to me.

Are there any alternatives to the 740BT? What about the Alpine TMI-M990?

Lastly, I am worried about glare issues from the angle of the W205 if it is mounted in the stereo headunit's area. The nav pod should have less glare, so I am less concerned with whatever monitor is mounted in there. Any suggestions on how to deal with the glare?

Is there any particular shop that is highly recommened in the SF/SJ Bay Area that would be able to do this type of work?

Thanks for everyone's help.

-CiaoBoy

all valid questions and im interested in some s well.

I used to have the same mentality as you but have now decided to try to cut my center console. few reasons

1) i want to modernize the NSX- the current setup is outdated (1990) who uses tapes or eve CD's now??? my changer gets some use but i would rather get an ipod or zune connected and digitize everything.

- i think the all in one system is a bit more expensive but it would decrease the difficluty in wiring (running wires) and as wel having to hide things like an extra DVD unit for the NAV setup.

for a setup like what you dscribe you can search Jett here in this section who just did an install to do ipod and other stuff.

but i think an all in one would make the NSX look like a brand new car all over again and very similar to other new models with a factory nav setup.
I think the OEM look is nice and all but not worth the extra money in my opinion--- or as jett would say in my emotion--- what the F ever!

Go with the Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro. You can leave your OEM system in if you want (the hubpro has an AM/FM radio anyway and a place to hook your OEM stereo into). The Hub is completely expandable and when you use a 740BT, you can control everything via touchscreen, including satelite radio, nav, & ipod video. the 740BT also has bluetooth built in and comes with a mic so you can set it to interrupt the music and take calls in the car. Check out Alpine's website for more info. This is the system I use in my car.

If you need an adapter to hook the monitor to the nav pod, we have them on our website. :wink:

Go with the Alpine Vehicle Hub Pro. You can leave your OEM system in if you want (the hubpro has an AM/FM radio anyway and a place to hook your OEM stereo into). The Hub is completely expandable and when you use a 740BT, you can control everything via touchscreen, including satelite radio, nav, & ipod video. the 740BT also has bluetooth built in and comes with a mic so you can set it to interrupt the music and take calls in the car. Check out Alpine's website for more info. This is the system I use in my car.

If you need an adapter to hook the monitor to the nav pod, we have them on our website. :wink:

What provides the navigation?

-CiaoBoy

lets add the costs of these items really quickly- to be brief i just searched EBAY and pulled the buy it now cost avg for all the items-

If you bid you may be able to save a few bucks here and there or shop around and maybe save a bit but this gives a rough idea to what you mention AUTOVATION.

TME-M740BT ----------275
VPA-B222 ---------- 275
DVA-5210 -----only one found 200
NVE-N872A ------------ $1100 !!!!!! yes eleven hundred!!
KCE-422i ---------------- 10
TUA-T500HD ---------------- 150
KCA-300BT ------------------ 200
KCA-620M ---------------- 110 new but can find them 50-75 just search
CHA-S634 -------------- 20 to 200 , well split the diff at 110
SIR-ALP1 -------------------- 10

a total of 1340, not counting the 1100 for the NAV setup
lets not forget to add about 10 bux of shipping to each of these items so we'll round the 1340 to 1400, not including navigation. and not to mention you may still want to mount this in the JDM NAV pod which entails another 250

or you can opt for something like the AVIC-Z2, or Z3, EBAY has combo kits like the link below, the AVIC is an all in one with HDD NAV, 7" monitor, handsfree blue tooth and backup cam included for 1500.

It has a 30GB HD, 20GB for NAV and 10GB for music and video storage, which means you dont have to carry your ipod with you or forget it at home. all your music is preloaded in the HU!!

I really like this unit over all but the downfall is cutting the console- i think for the extra thousand i can get over that plus less wiring!!! behindthe dash could look like "snakes in an NSX"!!!

EDIT: not to mention the AVIC has voice command so you dont even have to take your hands off the wheel for NAV OR music, you can just talk to it.

Last edited:
lets add the costs of these items really quickly- to be brief i just searched EBAY and pulled the buy it now cost avg for all the items-

If you bid you may be able to save a few bucks here and there or shop around and maybe save a bit but this gives a rough idea to what you mention AUTOVATION.

TME-M740BT ----------275
VPA-B222 ---------- 275

lets not forget to add about 10 bux of shipping to each of these items so we'll round the 1340 to 1400, not including navigation. and not to mention you may still want to mount this in the JDM NAV pod which entails another 250

or you can opt for something like the AVIC-Z2, or Z3, EBAY has combo kits like the link below, the AVIC is an all in one with HDD NAV, 7" monitor, handsfree blue tooth and backup cam included for 1500.

It has a 30GB HD, 20GB for NAV and 10GB for music and video storage, which means you dont have to carry your ipod with you or forget it at home. all your music is preloaded in the HU!!

I really like this unit over all but the downfall is cutting the console- i think for the extra thousand i can get over that plus less wiring!!! behindthe dash could look like "snakes in an NSX"!!!

EDIT: not to mention the AVIC has voice command so you dont even have to take your hands off the wheel for NAV OR music, you can just talk to it.

The reason I went with this system is that I can control my entire AV system through the touchscreen in the Nav Pod and the install looks as close to OEM as you are going to get. I also use a cf center console that has the radio delete and ashtray delete. You can leave your stock (heavy! :wink:) radio in the center console but it is useless.

TME-M740BT ----------275
VPA-B222 ---------- 275
KCA-620M ---------------- 110 new but
can find them 50-75 just search

Can't you just use the list above without the nav system NVE-N872A and just get the Alpine blackbird navigation system instead for the NAV pod with TME-M740BT screen and than use alpine W205 deck for the old OEM stereo. Wouldn't that be just the 3 main devices needed??

If your going to go with an aftermarket system, I might suggest the Kenwood DNX7100. This trumps the Pioneer unit because it has fast connect usb port that obsoletes the need to have a hardrive on the system in the first place. You can quickly pull songs from a thumbdrive or ipod without delay. In addition, the lockout mechanism for the nav can be easily defeated by connecting it to ground enabling you to change course without stopping on the side of the road and pulling the brake. I believe the pioneer unit is not easily defeatable as it uses the gps system to determine whether or not you are moving which renders it kindof useless if you decide to change course.

Lee

The only reason I don't like the touch screen to control the stereo is that you would have to lean forward or move to a "non-driving" position to adjust or change anything.

I went with the JVC NX5000. I installed the bluetooth and iPod adapters last weekend...they work great. Glare may be an issue with the t-top off, but I rarely drive with it off on the freeway, so glare while using the navigation should not be a real big issue.

I'm interested in adding a navi and head unit as well but I was discouraged when I was told by the dealer that its not as simple as just replacing the head unit. I was told that I would also need to do a complete re-wiring, ie. for speakers, etc. The labor (cost) for this I was told could be expensive.

Is this correct? I was thinking of just adding a unit but did not know that it would be this labor intensive.:confused:

I'm interested in adding a navi and head unit as well but I was discouraged when I was told by the dealer that its not as simple as just replacing the head unit. I was told that I would also need to do a complete re-wiring, ie. for speakers, etc. The labor (cost) for this I was told could be expensive.

Is this correct? I was thinking of just adding a unit but did not know that it would be this labor intensive.:confused:

You'll need to replace the speakers but with a harness adapter there should no additional wiring required for a basic system if you want to just tap off the factory speaker wires already in the door. You will also need to buy some speaker adapter plates to mount the new speakers in the door. That is probably the biggest pain of it. Some of the guys here make them or you might check at Science of speed.

Ken, NSXprime name Deccosse sells the speaker plates for the door. Check out his sound system in his nsx, amazing. The place you use to do the install can also make them for you, its a very simple piece.

You'll need to replace the speakers but with a harness adapter there should no additional wiring required for a basic system if you want to just tap off the factory speaker wires already in the door. You will also need to buy some speaker adapter plates to mount the new speakers in the door. That is probably the biggest pain of it. Some of the guys here make them or you might check at Science of speed.

Is there no way to combine an aftermarket head unit and still continue to use the stock speakers?

-CiaoBoy

there is the place i'm getting it done at is doing that. using the stock speakers. they have done it before. Labor is gonna be bulk of the cost.

I'm interested in the NVE-872A but was wondering where is the best place in the nsx to mount this unit?

TME-M740BT ----------275
VPA-B222 ---------- 275

I'm interested in the NVE-872A but was wondering where is the best place in the nsx to mount this unit?

LOL....how about mounting the other 'boxes'

don't forget:
the screen controller box
the iPod adaptor

I would mount the NVE-872A above the passenger foot space

I went with the blackbird. Smaller, Cheaper and portable.

Here is my project.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91077&highlight=stereo+upgrade

I will post the latest updates soon. I getting the car back from the paint shop friday.

JMHO

the IPOD controller box i put in above the mini speaker in the center of the car. the screen controller not sure where that going to go. Can't go in the foot well because I have a ztoolbox and the eps computer under the glove box..

so with the black bird do u control all funtion thru the screen? where do u mount the black bird if your using the screen in the nav pod?

LOL....how about mounting the other 'boxes'

don't forget:
the screen controller box
the iPod adaptor

I would mount the NVE-872A above the passenger foot space

I went with the blackbird. Smaller, Cheaper and portable.

Here is my project.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91077&highlight=stereo+upgrade

I will post the latest updates soon. I getting the car back from the paint shop friday.

JMHO

Last edited:
This is where i mount my blackbird

Attachments

• blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 129
Gold age and raw 03 nsx

I was wondering if u mount the black bird to the windshield does the blackbird speak direction to u? How accurate is this unit?

Gold age and raw 03 nsx

I was wondering if u mount the black bird to the windshield does the blackbird speak direction to u? How accurate is this unit?

I mounted my blackbird on the wall behind my driver seat and connected the controls to my TME-M770 which is also connected to my head unit.

All voice commands speak from speakers
All control functions are done on the TME-M770 touch screen
And it is as accurate as any OE nav (at least compared to my Cayenne and M6)

Thanks for all of the responses so far. I'm now considering a different setup. Any feedback would be appreciated. Here it is:

First of all, I'd like to stick with the stock Bose headunit and stock speakers.

For iPod functionality, I'd like to add the Harman Kardon Drive+Play. I have this unit in two of my other cars, and I really like it. Has anyone installed this in an NSX? Just wondering if there's a commonly available adapter for it. Would that be the USA Spec interface?

For navigation, I'm thinking about putting the Alpine M770 in the nav pod as a display unit. Sure, I won't have Bluetooth capability, like the 740BT, but I have a Bluetooth headset that I use in the car anyway. Then I'll install an Alpine navigation system.

I assume all of the audio can be input into the stock headunit via the USA Spec HON adapter. Is that correct?

How does this sound?

-CiaoBoy

Back