• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advice on what Battery to get the NSX?? Experiences with different batteries........

I've used the Odyssey PC925T -- it's lighter and smaller than the stock-replacement-Odyssey (PC1400) -- for many years. They typically last 8-10 years and have NO possibility of leaking or corrosion. They can be mounted in any orientation - even upside down! Only negative is needing to modifying the battery hold-down for the smaller one. FYI Odyssey does not make the Sears battery.
If you buy one, use a CTEK float charger (I have a model 3300) between drives if the car isn't driven at least once a week.

Last edited:
Harry is correct. The Odyssey battery is not the same as the Sears DieHard. You can read more about the unique design features of the Odyssey "extreme" batteries (including the PC925T, which I had in my NSX) here.

If you get an Odyssey battery, I recommend getting an Odyssey charger which is designed for that specific battery. You can read more about their chargers and why they are different here.

I bought my Odyssey battery and charger from Portable Power Systems. Great folks, great advice, great prices.

keN...
FYI I had TWO of the chargers mentioned in your post fail, which caused a call to Kathy Mitchel at Odyssey (888) 422-0317. She gave her blessing to the CTEK. I now have three of the CTEKs and have been very happy with their performance. I have three Odyssey batteries -- two in cars and one (a PC925T) in the 15kw generator that backs up my house -- it's nine years old and going strong!
I buy my Odyssey batteries at West Coast Batteries (http://www.odysseybatteries.com)
All is good.

Harry is correct. The Odyssey battery is not the same as the Sears DieHard.

You guys are both wrong. The Sears DieHard Platinum is made by Enersys, the same company that owns the Odyssey brand. The case on the DieHard Platinum even looks the same as an Odyssey battery of the same size....

odyssey.jpg
02850034000.jpg

The big Platinum batteries that Sears sells are a good option for those who want a more reliable alternative to the Optima yellow top that you can still buy locally.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the original press release showing that Die Hard Platinum are indeed made by EnerSys....

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ife-diehardr-platinum-batteries-58114357.html

The Platinum has the same specs, technology claims, and case design as EnerSys's Odyssey. But the Platinum is cheaper, has a better warranty, and can be picked up (and returned) locally.

While it's possible the internals could be different in the Platinum, I highly doubt it. The Platinum is most likely the same battery at a lower price since it's not being marketed as a "boutique" battery.

I personally just had to make this decision for my Track car.

I went with a group 121R

Smaller than both the 35 and 24R group sizes, lighter, and still has 600CCA's and a decent reserve capacity. I saved 8lbs using this battery.

Not as much as using a smaller dry cell, but much more cost effective at 85 dollars vs 160+++

I used to use yellow tops in both my Acura and my truck, both of which have aftermarket systems with amps. I got tired of replacing batteries every year and a half. I would never buy one again. Switched over to NAPA batteries and haven't had an issue since. Cody gave me back my car with a battery that lasted 1 1/2 weeks before it needed a recharge.....time to rip that out and get a NAPA for NSX as well.

Just an FYI to add. My NSX still has the battery that was in the car 4 years ago. It has been discharged completely by the aftermarket alarm on a half dozen or more occasions but still charges nicely and holds a charge for one to two weeks. I do have a tender installed in the engine bay now and that works well.

The battery is labeled Acura and made by Panasonic.

I've stuck with oem batteries for 23 years and no problems.

Would this be over kill? My car is a 93 5speed. This battery is for an Auto.. does it make any different?
***THIS IS NOT TRUE - SEE BELOW*** There is no difference between a battery for an automatic NSX and one for a manual NSX. However, that battery is group size 24F. For an NSX, you need to find a battery with group size 35. ***THIS IS NOT TRUE - SEE BELOW***

EDIT: I believe the information in this post, above, was wrong, based on the reply by Computron below and a quick check of the NSX parts catalog. I regret the error.

As he states below, the automatics came with the group 24F battery, and the manuals with the group 35 battery. Either battery can be used in either type car.

Last edited:
There is no difference between a battery for an automatic NSX and one for a manual NSX. However, that battery is group size 24F. For an NSX, you need to find a battery with group size 35.

There is a difference between the battery for an automatic NSX vs a manual. That difference is the battery size. Stock from the factory, automatics come with the Acura Group 24F battery and manuals come with the Acura Group 35 battery. The group 24F battery is bigger and heavier but it also has greater reserve capacity. It also fits better in the battery tray in my opinion... it looks centered now!

I just recently replaced the Group 35 in my 6 speed with the Group 24F battery because I wanted the extra reserve capacity and the extra few pounds doesn't make any difference to me. I'm not a die hard "every pound counts" kind of NSX enthusiast, so in my case, the extra reserve so that I can still start it after an extended park mattered more to me.

Hope this helps.

Thats the info im looking for. I rather have the extra reserve. Thank u very much. I will get that.

Thats the info im looking for. I rather have the extra reserve. Thank u very much. I will get that.

Glad the info helped! I was in your exact same situation just about a month ago so I know the battery details well. Just be sure to get the Group 24F (with the F) or else the posts will be backwards.

Yesterday I bought a group 35 AGM on sale for $175 with taxes and no core. And today I wish I had bought the group 51 for the lighter weight or the group 24F for the reserve. The 24F was due for a recharge and I wasn't sure about fabricating a tie-down for the 51. So I'm happy.

I decided on OEM NSX-R. I wasn't convinced the Shorai Li-Fe could withstand several days sitting in 0 F during the winter- I travel for work and there are times my car will sit at the airport for up to 5 days. Just ordered the NSX-R mount by sea turtle from Japan.

The 51R has a positive post that is closer to the edge of the battery than the positive post on the 35 or 24F. The stock tie-down would risk a short circuit. Where can we find the NSX-R tie-down?

If you are going to keep the car and are not concerned about the weight buy the Costco/Kirkland battery in either size listed above. The reason I have their batteries in my 3 vehicles is that you can return that battery for a FREE replacement within 3 yrs of the purchase date and they will give you a brand new replacement that comes with the exact warranty you originally had, but starts anew.
I bought my 1st battery for my NSX about 10 yrs ago, I'm on my 3rd battery, only paid for the 1st one, other 2 absolutely FREE! They do not test them in anyway, just a free exchange and a little paperwork!
\\

I bought a Kirkland also.. I agree..

I don't understand what's going on with these Costco (Johnson Control) batteries. My first one lasted 3 years and today I just returned my second one that lasted 2 years, so 2 batteries in 5 years. The good news is it didn't cost me anything but its annoying to change batteries so often.

I don't understand what's going on with these Costco (Johnson Control) batteries. My first one lasted 3 years and today I just returned my second one that lasted 2 years, so 2 batteries in 5 years. The good news is it didn't cost me anything but its annoying to change batteries so often.

It's especially annoying because the battery is so hard to get to, and involves pulling out the spare if you still have it, which is asking for a bad back.

Back