• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

advice? Sell S, buy X?

I was kinda in your situation. I'm married. No children. I had two cars already Integra GSR and a 01 Prelude. Love both of those cars, but the NSX is the ultimate prize. I had to have it. But I didn't want to sell the other cars either. So I started looking for an NSX that I really wanted and make SURE that it would fit within my budget. Not only fit but that I'm still comfortable as well which is important.
Well I found a 01 NSX and have NOT regretted my decision one bit! So now by waiting I have ALL the cars I want :D I say pay off the S2k, and then get the NSX. You'll enjoy both of them, but it goes without saying you'll enjoy the NSX much more. Good luck

timothyaw said:
I was kinda in your situation. I'm married. No children. I had two cars already Integra GSR and a 01 Prelude. Love both of those cars, but the NSX is the ultimate prize. I had to have it. But I didn't want to sell the other cars either. So I started looking for an NSX that I really wanted and make SURE that it would fit within my budget. Not only fit but that I'm still comfortable as well which is important.
Well I found a 01 NSX and have NOT regretted my decision one bit! So now by waiting I have ALL the cars I want :D I say pay off the S2k, and then get the NSX. You'll enjoy both of them, but it goes without saying you'll enjoy the NSX much more. Good luck

I hope that it does come to that. I can enjoy my S2K still, and really have a great garage when it's time for the NSX. I just hope the timing works out that way. I hope that while my shopping goes on, the perfect NSX for me doesn't show up until the S is paid for :)

EssTooKayTD said:
...Should I take advantage of this, and then buy a used NSX? My fiance' is not hot on the idea, but I know she can't really do much. it's not going to wreck the relationship or anything, hahaha. She likes the idea below.

I ideally would like to resist the urge and pay off the S (should take 2 years, give or take some months) and then shop again for an X. I could have both cars then.

(snip)

I have read threads on what many of you think about say someone younger coming out of college and being able to afford the car. I'm not in that boat. I think I know what I can afford and not afford...

Hello!! I think I can help you on this one. As someone about your age who is lucky enough to have a couple of NSX's and an S2000, I have discovered that no matter which way you go on this thing you win. :)

My '94 NSX is my daily driver unless I have to haul more than one person with me. I usually drive alone, or with my fiance, so the NSX is my car 99% of the time. The car can easily be driven every day, that is not the question here. The question should be do you really want the car that badly??

The reason I ask is because if you are in a position to have someone help you and buy the S2000 from you so that you do not lose money, you are in a position to be able to afford the NSX running costs, and there are no other factors influencing your decision, why do you have to ask if you should do it?? I do not say that to be rude, just that I wanted an NSX for a long time, and as soon as I could reasonably afford one I bought it!! I did not have to ask, I just knew it was what I wanted and I could live my dream. See what I mean?

As far as your age goes....who cares what anyone thinks?? I never cared if someone thought I was too young to have an NSX. I knew I worked hard for it and that was all that mattered, and it still is. If age is not an issue to you, do not let anyone else make it an issue.

In short...if you really want the NSX, buy the freaking thing!! Live life and enjoy the time behind the wheel of one of the best sports cars ever built. :)

Re: Re: advice? Sell S, buy X?

Meeyatch1 said:
Hello!! I think I can help you on this one. As someone about your age who is lucky enough to have a couple of NSX's and an S2000, I have discovered that no matter which way you go on this thing you win. :)

My '94 NSX is my daily driver unless I have to haul more than one person with me. I usually drive alone, or with my fiance, so the NSX is my car 99% of the time. The car can easily be driven every day, that is not the question here. The question should be do you really want the car that badly??

The reason I ask is because if you are in a position to have someone help you and buy the S2000 from you so that you do not lose money, you are in a position to be able to afford the NSX running costs, and there are no other factors influencing your decision, why do you have to ask if you should do it?? I do not say that to be rude, just that I wanted an NSX for a long time, and as soon as I could reasonably afford one I bought it!! I did not have to ask, I just knew it was what I wanted and I could live my dream. See what I mean?

As far as your age goes....who cares what anyone thinks?? I never cared if someone thought I was too young to have an NSX. I knew I worked hard for it and that was all that mattered, and it still is. If age is not an issue to you, do not let anyone else make it an issue.

In short...if you really want the NSX, buy the freaking thing!! Live life and enjoy the time behind the wheel of one of the best sports cars ever built. :)

I think I agree with you. I think I've already decided I'm going to get one. It's just finding the one I want now. I do still have to go through the formalities as far as making sure i'm cool for a loan and stuff, but I know I want the car. I really don't want to let go of the S if I don't have to. It seems that many times people spend up to a couple years looking for the X they want. If that's the case, i can have the S paid off, and get an X then too!

To keep the hunger at bay for so long must be tough. Shopping for the car is part of the joy, but being able to drive it will put all those long hours searching out of memory. Much like when I bought my S...times 25 :) Thanks Meeyatch1 and the rest of you guys/girls. please don't stop with the comments/suggestions if you still have em.

Hi there! I am Stormrider's brother living in Austin. After years of admiring the NSX, Tommy finally got his couple of years ago and I finally got mine in February this year. As you know, Tommy has both the S2K and the NSX, both are fun as hell to drive but the X is my favorite. Good luck with your search and only the right one will come just like your wife to be. :)

Zlee said:
Hi there! I am Stormrider's brother living in Austin. After years of admiring the NSX, Tommy finally got his couple of years ago and I finally got mine in February this year. As you know, Tommy has both the S2K and the NSX, both are fun as hell to drive but the X is my favorite. Good luck with your search and only the right one will come just like your wife to be. :)

HEY! Yeah, I remember Tommy telling me about you and shopping for your X. Congrats on that. I can't wait, and I hope I can find one that I really think is worthy of my garage and worthy of being the neighboor of Dominique (my S) :)

you guys stop it! one big happy nsx family! you guys bring tears in my eyes! now, i am gonna go cry in my office!! :eek:(

man, two years is too long of wait imho!! what happen we all die next month? forget two years!!! just kidding! i really can't wait two years to get a X!!! waiting=sucks! driving the X=fun!!!!!

stormrider said:
you guys stop it! one big happy nsx family! you guys bring tears in my eyes! now, i am gonna go cry in my office!! :eek:(

man, two years is too long of wait imho!! what happen we all die next month? forget two years!!! just kidding! i really can't wait two years to get a X!!! waiting=sucks! driving the X=fun!!!!!

doubt tommy! But I'm willing to look until I find one where I don't feel like i'm settling. You know what I'm looking for, so you know it could take a while. That white 97+ is not going to be easy to find. But if a black one comes my way...I won't be able to pass it up. Still thinking about selling yours? I like that one a lot.

Hope you can make it out tonight Tommy.

Tom

you know it is alot easier to find a 97+ black than the white one for sure! i think you can get a nice blk one sooner than you think!

EssTooKayTD, you mentioned your dad would be willing to buy your S2K. I think you should go with this plan. I'm assuming you're going to buy it back in a while. Who's to say you won't get the NSX, and decide just to sell the S2K anyways, sometime later?

Don't go for second best, in regards to color of choice. If you want a white '97+, then wait for it. You won't regret it.

I bought my (white) NSX and debated whether to sell my (black.. ironic) Integra, or just keep all three (corolla beater). I LOVED my Integra, but I just figured it wasn't sain, when I could sell it and put so much money into the NSX, towards paying it off. Well, I ended up selling it and I still miss it; it was my baby, but it was the wiser thing to do.

I'm sure you've given it a lot of thought, so there's some of mine.

My .02,
Dave

tochigidream said:
...I bought my (white) NSX and debated whether to sell my (black.. ironic) Integra, or just keep all three (corolla beater). I LOVED my Integra, but I just figured it wasn't sain, when I could sell it and put so much money into the NSX, towards paying it off. Well, I ended up selling it and I still miss it; it was my baby, but it was the wiser thing to do...

It occurred to me that quite a few of us have had similar cars as one another. I also have a white NSX and a black Integra GSR that now sits since I drive the NSX all the time. I have been keeping track of the mileage and the Integra has been driven only about 670 miles (yes....only 670 miles) in the past 2 YEARS, yet I will never sell it. It is like my baby, and I will always keep it. If I sold it I would miss it too much.

tochigidream said:
EssTooKayTD, you mentioned your dad would be willing to buy your S2K. I think you should go with this plan. I'm assuming you're going to buy it back in a while. Who's to say you won't get the NSX, and decide just to sell the S2K anyways, sometime later?

Don't go for second best, in regards to color of choice. If you want a white '97+, then wait for it. You won't regret it.

I bought my (white) NSX and debated whether to sell my (black.. ironic) Integra, or just keep all three (corolla beater). I LOVED my Integra, but I just figured it wasn't sain, when I could sell it and put so much money into the NSX, towards paying it off. Well, I ended up selling it and I still miss it; it was my baby, but it was the wiser thing to do.

I'm sure you've given it a lot of thought, so there's some of mine.

My .02,
Dave

You are right Dave, I have thought about this scenario. If I do sell the car, it will be to my father. As you said, I can buy it back later. Seems like I'm taking advantage of it, but I think my father offered the buy the S, simply because he knows I am eyeing another car. he just doesn't want me to lose all the money put into it. he'd rather buy it from me (take over payments really) and then keep it. I think he knows I'll want to buy it back later. yes, my pop is great.

i was looking at the production numbers for white 97+...man, approx 7 of them. That's not going to be easy. I don't think I'll be settling if I get white or black. I think both colors are just as sexy as the other. I would like to hold out for a while, but if the right black one comes along, I can't say I will pass it up.

Tom

Meeyatch1 said:
It occurred to me that quite a few of us have had similar cars as one another. I also have a white NSX and a black Integra GSR that now sits since I drive the NSX all the time. I have been keeping track of the mileage and the Integra has been driven only about 670 miles (yes....only 670 miles) in the past 2 YEARS, yet I will never sell it. It is like my baby, and I will always keep it. If I sold it I would miss it too much.

as stated in the previous msg, I love my S so much, i would hope I could purchase it back from my father at a later time. It really seems liek the smart thing to do is to pay off the S and get the X on my own, ie without the dad's help. I would feel better knowing I got these cars, and less like, my dad helped me get these cars. I mean they already gave me a nice down payment on the S as a college grad present. The more mature side of me says, be grown up, pay off the car you decided to buy, and then think about an X. The immature side says, you knwo you want that X now...dad is offering to help...take it.

I've been pondering the same thing.

My biggest problem is, I really do love my S and I don't like the idea of parting with it. I'm also in a position where I'll have my S paid off in roughly 30 months, and I think I'd rather own both than give up one for another.

However, if I happen to come across the right NSX for me, I'll probably jump at it.

Good luck.

Back