• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

advise on my ac

On my 92 the ac has been running a little warm and im getting bubbles in the site glass. It has never been charged and is still r12. I have the gages, vacuum pump, scale and around 20 pounds of 134a and I also have a couple of cans of r12. I feel just a squirt of r12 would do the trick but have never worked with r12 and none of my fittings are set up for the r12.If I did the r12 I would need to purchase a can tap and hose but currently could not connect gages without figuring out some adapters. It seems to me the system is sound its just leaked a little in 24 years. Im in Seattle and the only option I have found is converting to 134a.
Thoughts and advise guys?
Rod

If your current gauges are for 134 then yes you'll need to purchase an R12 tap assm. Not expensive at all. Just add enough 12 until the site glass is clear but don't over fill. When it's clear, stop immediately. I would though add some dye since you do have a leak and at some point it will be easier to find it if it's one of your outside lines/fittings.

You can do as I did, buy R12 to R134A conversion fittings. Then charge it with R12. Or you can do the R134A conversion. I like R12. It runs way colder in my opinion. Your refrigerant oil, expansion valve, condenser cfm's, and system capacity is built around the R12 gas. Which is why I like it. If you have R12 I'd say stay R12. But R134A is sufficient as well.

It sounds like you have a leak in the system.
I'd suggest before you spend any time or money on refilling with R12 or converting to R134a it would be wise to find the leak and repair it to ensure the integrity of the system.
Otherwise whatever you put in will leak out and you'll be back to square 1.

My experience is our NSX A/C system begins to fail at about 22 years.
That includes leaks in the system and compressor failure.
The long term fix is fix the leaks,convert to R134a, replace the compressor and you're trouble free for a long time.
This fix also adds value to your NSX as if you decide to sell having redone your A/C is a major selling point.

Thanks for all your comments. The system does work it just is not as cold on the drivers side and I see some bubbles. Not a lot just a bubble every so often. I have kept everything up on this car ,except the tires are getting a little old, so making sure the ac is good is important. I have been considering selling since it is only driven once or twice a year at most so I wasn't sure if converting to 134 would make it less desirable.

Converting to 134a would be a modern, responsible conversion. Eventually all r12 systems will need to be changed. Less desirable is more about A/C not working than what refrigerant is in use.

It took two cans and my vent temps are about 45 degrees . I added some dye so I can check in a few days for any leaks. The sight glass now runs clear while the compressor is running but I do see some bubbles when the compressor first starts.

Bubbles at start up are normal. Who knows, you may get 6 months or more depending on the leak. Pretty much everything has been replaced on mine. Drier/Compressor/evap, expansion valve comes with the new evap. I have even maintained R12 since yes, it is still available. Like Jinks, I am an R12 fan and plan on keeping it R12. Another note, if you can find someone with a sniffer, better yet an actual older R12 sniffer, have it sniffed in the next couple of weeks. PM me if you need more info on that.

Back