• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aem Fic Fmu

Warren: I see on the AEM forums that your are progressing... can you update here? thanks!

Devin:
I have ordered this for my '91 high-boost whipple... seems like a perfect solution! Do you have any updates that would apply to an OBDI NSX?
thanks!

Devin is currently quite busy in the AEM booth at SEMA. I'm sure he will be able to reply after this coming weekend. Although I do know this system is better suited to OBDII cars rather then OBDI.

its running like a champ. I am very happy with it. BUT, there is still the cold start issue and there seem to be a slight burp around 3K rpms. i haven't had anytime to look into into it, but i will soon. Call aem for a wiring diagrahm. call me if you need more details and help. i could tell you a lot more in detail.

its running like a champ. I am very happy with it. BUT, there is still the cold start issue and there seem to be a slight burp around 3K rpms. i haven't had anytime to look into into it, but i will soon. Call aem for a wiring diagrahm. call me if you need more details and help. i could tell you a lot more in detail.

So,to clarify and sort of recap .
1)you sent the unit back to aem for a hardware upgrade
2)your nsx is obd2
3)aem provided you with a nsx-specific diagram
4)your car now runs properly,save for some tuning-related issues?/and or there is still a fic-related issue?

Thanks for your input I am currently sitting on two of these units that I want to install , but thought I would wait for the bugs to be ironed out.

Thanks for the update and the offer, Warren... will follow up with AEM after SEMA... i am expecting an install within two weeks.
--bruce

So far, a handful of OBDII NSXs are running extremely well with the 30-1911 specific F/IC using a recently revised firmware version. No cold start issues, no misfires of any kind, and absolutely stock-like drivability with 550cc - 750cc injectors.

I am not sure how well an OBDI car will tune with the F/IC which is why we haven't recommended it yet. There is just no way to monitor and adjust for any short term fuel trim issues without using an OBDII scan tool.

Duffer here on Prime is one of the members running the latest version release and I believe his exact words were "your engineers hit a home run". I'll try to get him on here for an updated testimonial.

So far, a handful of OBDII NSXs are running extremely well with the 30-1911 specific F/IC using a recently revised firmware version. No cold start issues, no misfires of any kind, and absolutely stock-like drivability with 550cc - 750cc injectors.

I am not sure how well an OBDI car will tune with the F/IC which is why we haven't recommended it yet. There is just no way to monitor and adjust for any short term fuel trim issues without using an OBDII scan tool.

Duffer here on Prime is one of the members running the latest version release and I believe his exact words were "your engineers hit a home run". I'll try to get him on here for an updated testimonial.

Thanks, Devin. TC Peformance in Arvada will be attempting my install (Honda Ghandi)... They did a lot of the early S2000 installs, and Toby will be attempting this. I will try to update here when that happens. Right now, I'm at the stage where the F/IC has been ordered, and I also am waiting on the availability of a Snow Performance Safe Injection module for my water/methanol setup.
--bruce

Hi Devin,As stated in my earlier post,I have two of these units which need to be installed ,both on obd 2 cars ,I have called the tech line and left messages w/ no response ,hoping you can help
thanks
Wil

Hey devin,

Word is it takes a inline resistor to get the car to think that it is warmed up to get cold start problems taken care of. Is this true or just rumor? What problems have you encountered when installing one, or is that hush hush?

Thanks for all the help you give the community!!

J. R.

Hey devin,

Word is it takes a inline resistor to get the car to think that it is warmed up to get cold start problems taken care of. Is this true or just rumor? What problems have you encountered when installing one, or is that hush hush?

Thanks for all the help you give the community!!

J. R.

J.R.

You are correct. We used a potentiometer and switch on the cars while a new firmware version was being developed specifically for the NSX due to some very unique factory warm-up fueling strategies. This allowed the vehicle owners to drive their cars like normal while we completed R&D. This was only used for development reasons and is not required now that the specific firmware is completed.

Other than normal development delays which were expected, there haven't been any problems that I have seen with the OBDII installations that are currently running the 30-1911 specific unit and Z1.10 firmware update. The last revision is spotless and it looks like we are really close to calling this a ready for market item for NSX owners.

We really have to thank Lovefab and Science of Speed for all their R&D help. They have worked very closely (and continue to work) with our engineers to make this product perfect for the NSX.

Angus - please PM me your contact info and I will get you in touch with an engineer who can help you.

RON98 - Jobber price on our injection kit (which inlcludes a boost dependant progressive pump controller with safety features) is $439. The other brand you mentioned sells a similar kit with controller, but I believe it sells for nearly $500.

Not to get to off topic, but for those that read this FI forum you know my feelings about meth/injection. I am a FAN FAN FAN! I have seen what it can do and have installed it on a number of cars. The safty factor is greatly increased when running a water/meth/alky set-up on your car.

Not to get to off topic though, so just search for the old thread about it. Alot of info there.

J. R.

After a few months of testing/refinement in my 97, I can say that AEM has nailed it. We did have some cold start issues initially, but they are now gone. The cars runs identical to stock, with no loss of functionality (TCS, for instance works like a charm). Well, as close to stock given the HP gain of a Lovefab turbo. :biggrin: I have had the new F/IC module installed now for a few weeks and have put it through the paces and it's perfect. It is ready for prime time, in my estimation.

After a few months of testing/refinement in my 97, I can say that AEM has nailed it. We did have some cold start issues initially, but they are now gone. The cars runs identical to stock, with no loss of functionality (TCS, for instance works like a charm). Well, as close to stock given the HP gain of a Lovefab turbo. :biggrin: I have had the new F/IC module installed now for a few weeks and have put it through the paces and it's perfect. It is ready for prime time, in my estimation.

After dialing everything in, did you pick up any additional HP?

After dialing everything in, did you pick up any additional HP?

I don't know. We are going to put it on the dyno in the next few weeks. I was just happy to get the car up to 100% drivability. HP gains would be a bonus.

... just talked to folks at AEM... they say a new software update is coming out in the next week or two to address cold start issues for the NSX.

Anybody else have any updates?

thanks,
--bruce

My car has been driving like a champ. I have had the new software for about two months now and it has been flawless. Cold starts, warm starts, and everything in between has been great. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I don't know. We are going to put it on the dyno in the next few weeks. I was just happy to get the car up to 100% drivability. HP gains would be a bonus.

How was the tuning done without a dyno?
(i am suspecting the answer is OBDII provides enough info?)
thanks,
--bruce

I see Boomslang has an NSX plug and play harness for the F/IC at
http://www.boomslang.us/aemfic.htm

...but it says it is only for 97-99 NSX.
I called and they said it has been approved only for those years.
--bruce

How was the tuning done without a dyno?
(i am suspecting the answer is OBDII provides enough info?)
thanks,
--bruce

Yes, the OBDII does provide enough info. What we were initially tuning for was drivability under cold, warm, and hot starts. The second phase it tuning for power, and that is where our friend, the dyno, comes into play. I am also coordinating the final tune with a clutch install, which is a few weeks out.

I see Boomslang has an NSX plug and play harness for the F/IC at
http://www.boomslang.us/aemfic.htm

...but it says it is only for 97-99 NSX.
I called and they said it has been approved only for those years.
--bruce

so since it says 97-up ,I am assuming it will also work on 95-96? Devin, maybe you could chime in on this one?

Back