• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aging - some personal thoughts

So, according to a Psycho-analytical journals I am having a pre-life crisis. This is when people ages 20-25 getting the symptoms of a mid-life crisis, being very focused on their own mortality very early on

You'll be fine. :biggrin:

I use lots of "life rules" I learned from the smart people I knew growing up.

One of those goes like this: "If you knew you were going to die today, would you be happy with the life you lived? If not, then start living that life NOW!"

And "When I die, I want people to say I had passion"

What these mean to me: Live the life you want and be passionate about whatever it is that makes you happy.

Now, that is easier said than done, but you don't have to do it all at once. A little at a time will get you there.

Last edited:
I feel very old today. I worked 18 hours yesterday doing constuction on one of the apartment buildings. UG! Getting old sucks. I was still running circles around some of those young guys though.

I feel very old today. I worked 18 hours yesterday doing constuction on one of the apartment buildings. UG! Getting old sucks. I was still running circles around some of those young guys though.

I read your original post and it really got me thinking. I'm 31 years old now. Granted, most people who look at me think I'm in my early to mid twenties; but, that's because I ran track and have been working out since I was 15. I eat healthy, and try to live healthy. My line of work requires that I be fit. Still, I've become so accustomed to LOOKING and FEELING fit and healthy. I'm starting to see grey, loosing hair on top of my head, and I just don't perform in the gym as well as I did 10 years ago. I like, and sometimes expect longevity from myself and many other things (such as the NSX); however, becoming aware of your mortality, even in such mundane things as not doing so good in the gym, or not running that mile as fast as you used to, can be daunting if you focus on it, so I feel you on this.

Perhaps driving the NSX enough can transfer some of it's perfection and longevity to us:biggrin: Our own little fountain of youth on wheels perhaps:redface:

So my mom stops by today and her boyfriend is with her. They have been together for 30 years or more now. He is 83. I ask him at what age he felt like he was slowing down. He says well Steven, probably about a year ago. :smile: Then we go back to watching the BJ auction. He's always walking around and whistling...he's a happy guy. Doesn't look 83 at all, more like he is in his late 50's. He still works because he is bored. :eek: I think he was pretty shocked at the prices the cars were bringing on BJ. He has some of the cars similar to what was being sold stuffed in his barn. Mostly Austin Healeys. There was one car that was going through that someone was going to sell him a similar car for a hundred bucks back 50 years ago. BJ got close to 200k for it.

He's always walking around and whistling...he's a happy guy.

That's the key right there.

I know it sounds corny, but being positive and happy in life NOW will do more for keeping you healthy later vs. only "eating right and exercising".

Re: Here's the real key.......

Never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart :wink:
Edward Cole (Jack Nicholson) The Bucket List
(should be in the favorite quote thread, I know, but it would be somewhat wasted on the young there) :biggrin:

This thread inspired me to get back into the gym again. Between work, family, etc I've made lots of excuses for not exercising. I started again last night. It felt good knowing that I'm doing something to improve my health besides the potato chip arm curl while watching TV.

Maybe my golf game will improve as well. :biggrin:

Last edited:
This again thread inspired me to get back into the gym. Between work, family, etc I've made lots of excuses for not exercising. I started again last night. It felt good knowing that I'm doing something to improve my health besides the potato chip arm curl while watching TV.

Maybe my golf game will improve as well. :biggrin:

Currently laying on the couch eating peaches. I figure the peaches make up for the laying around part. :biggrin:

There is a TV show called "Time" by theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, a four part series that delves into time.

I just watched the episode called Lifetime, and it is an excellent show on this subject of aging. It is on the Science Channel and will repeat I'm sure.

It gives a great perspective from a physics, biological, and human perspective of aging and time. I highly recommend anyone interested in aging and time spend the time to watch this show.

Also, there's a popular Youtube video called "The Last Lecture" by a Carnegie Mellon professor who has only a few months to live after being diagnosed with an incurable cancer, that's very inspiring and touching as well. This link is is for a brief summary, and the entire hour is here. Well worth the time to watch this.

So anyways back in the mid nineties I went to see a show on Broadway. It was the best friggen show I have ever been too. I wish they would do it again so I could go back and see it again. The Cassidy brothers were in it and they did such a great job, Petula Clark was also in the show. Every single show was a standing ovation and not a dry eye in the house. I swear if they ever put this thing on again you guys have to go see it. It actually is still on in Europe. Last night I was laying in bed and one of the songs were going through my head here is the lyrics.

NARRATOR
THERE'S A FEW BOB IN YOUR POCKET
AND YOU'VE GOT GOOD FRIENDS,
AND IT SEEMS THAT SUMMER'S NEVER COMING TO AN END
YOUNG, FREE AND INNOCENT, YOU HAVEN'T GOT A CARE,
APART FROM DECIDIN' ON THE CLOTHES YOU'RE GONNA WEAR.
THE STREET'S TURNED INTO PARADISE,
THE RADIO'S SINGING DREAMS
YOU'RE INNOCENT, IMMORTAL, YOU'RE JUST FIFTEEN.
AND WHO'D DARE TELL THE LAMBS IN SPRING
WHAT FATE THE LATER SEASONS BRING
WHO'D TELL THE GIRL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAIR
THE PRICE SHE'LL HAVE TO PAY FOR JUST BEING THERE.

BUT LEAVE THEM ALONE, LET THEM GO AND PLAY
THEY CARE NOT FOR WHAT'S AT THE END OF THE DAY
FOR WHAT IS TO COME, FOR WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN
LIFE HAS NO ENDING WHEN YOU'RE SWEET SIXTEEN
AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE WITH YOU TO TALK AWAY THE NIGHT
OR UNTIL MRS WONG SWITCHES OFF THE CHIPPY LIGHT
THEN THERE'S ALWAYS THE CORNER
AND THE STREET LAMP'S GLARE
AN' ANOTHER HOUR TO SPEND, WITH YOUR FRIENDS, WITH HER,
TO SHARE YOUR LAST CIGARETTE AND YOUR SECRET DREAM
AT THE MIDNIGHT HOUR...

... AT SEVENTEEN

IT'S JUST ANOTHER FERRY BOAT, A TRIP TO THE BEACH
BUT EVERYTHING'S POSSIBLE,
THE WORLD'S WITHIN YOUR REACH
AN' YOU DON'T EVEN NOTICE THE BROKEN BOTTLES IN THE SAND
THE OIL IN THE WATER AND YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND
HOW LIVING COULD BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A DREAM
WHEN YOU'RE YOUNG, FREE AND INNOCENT...

... AND JUST EIGHTEEN.

AND ONLY IF THE THREE OF THEM COULD STAY LIKE THAT FOREVER,
AND ONLY IF WE COULD PREDICT NO CHANGES IN THE WEATHER
AND ONLY IF WE DIDN'T LIVE IN LIFE, AS WELL AS DREAMS
AND ONLY IF WE COULD STOP AND BE FOREVER,
JUST EIGHTEEN.

There are very few songs that hit me hard emotionally, but the hardest one of all is one I'm not even really all that fond of. That would be Cats in the Cradle. My dad was a musician and as a little kid I recall he and my mom sitting around with their hippie friends getting high and all singing and playing their guitars. That was one of the songs they'd play and it really sticks out in my memory. It also makes me feel really old :).

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say "I'm gonna be like you dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home dad?
I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's ok"
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him"

When you comin' home son?

Well, he came home from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head and said with a smile
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?"

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time
You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talking to you"

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

i still can't say goodbye

(sung by chet atkins)

I STILL CAN'T SAY GOODBYE
Chet Atkins

Spoken introduction:
"You know, every time I look in the mirror I see my Dad.
I think that's why this song means so much to me."

When I was young, my Dad would say
Come on Son let's go out and play
Sometimes it seems like yesterday

And I'd climb up the closet shelf
When I was all by my-self
Grab his hat and fix the brim
Pretending I was him

No matter how hard I try
No matter how many tears I cry
No matter how many years go by
I still can't say good-bye

He always took care of Mom and me.
We all cut down a Christmas tree
He always had some time for me

Wind blows through the trees
Street lights, they still shine bright
Most things are the same
but I miss my Dad to-night

I walked by a Salvation Army store
Saw a hat like my daddy wore
Tried it on when I walked in
Still trying to be like him

No matter how hard I try
No matter how many years go by
No matter how many tears I cry
I still can't say good-bye

My wife and I actually had a date today. We get maybe 2 a year and we went to see The Bucket List this afternoon. We both left in tears, the lights came on far too quickly at the end and everyone else had the same problem... that was a rough ending, even though you knew it was coming. Morgan Freeman as usual is brilliant, probably my favorite actor of all time. I've never been a huge Nicholson fan, but he was good as well.

It made me think of this thread though. Brilliant movie.

My wife and I actually had a date today. We get maybe 2 a year and we went to see The Bucket List this afternoon. We both left in tears, the lights came on far too quickly at the end and everyone else had the same problem... that was a rough ending, even though you knew it was coming. Morgan Freeman as usual is brilliant, probably my favorite actor of all time. I've never been a huge Nicholson fan, but he was good as well.

I may have to go watch this. I like movies like this, thanks for posting it.

Re: Everybody's should have one

The Bucket List
Yes, that movie got me thinking too. I've got a very best friend I've been doing the traditional bucket list things with for 33 years. But it occurred to me that it's all relative and we all have stuff we haven't gotten around to doing. I'm thinking of how to sit down with him and make our own "non-traditional" bucket list since it's all about sharing the experience, whatever it may be. :wink:

There are very few songs that hit me hard emotionally, but the hardest one of all is one I'm not even really all that fond of. That would be Cats in the Cradle. My dad was a musician and as a little kid I recall he and my mom sitting around with their hippie friends getting high and all singing and playing their guitars. That was one of the songs they'd play and it really sticks out in my memory. It also makes me feel really old :).

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say "I'm gonna be like you dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

When you comin' home dad?

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's ok"
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him"

Well, he came home from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head and said with a smile
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?"

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time
You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talking to you"

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

That was moving and enlightening. I need to go see my father much more often instead of just when it fits in to my traveling schedule and we happen to end up in the same city.

I heard this was a good movie. I will wait to get it on DVD. I like to go to the movies but I hate to wait in line. The waiting part of anything just ruins the whole experience of anything for me.

I am thinking hard right now and can't think of anything I would like to do that I have not done other than live to 100. Just about everything I would like to do deals with being able to change the past but it's not things I regret it's things that I could not control.

BTW, I think it was Morgan Freeman in Freedomland? That is the worst movie I have ever seen.

What a great thread! I'll be 44yr's old this July and I have to many regret's to even list. Although I still about once a year get carded buying beer and most people tell me I look to be only in my mid 30's, it's no solice. I wasted 20yr's of my life partying and now I would die just to have a wife and some kid's.

I try to not dwell on the past and look forward to each day as a new beginning. My goal for '08 is to find someone to love and settle down with, I will be very very happy then.

The thing says I am on borrowed time now. J/K
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ageResult1.jpg

Smoking cigarettes is just about the worst thing you can do to your health and life expectancy. Please don't kid yourself smoking greatly increases your risk for heart attack, stroke and numerous different types of cancer. Stopping now will add 15 years to your life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So then what is the worst thing??? I know smoking is bad but they say "just about the worst thing". So what's the worst thing.

I bet it's being FAT!! and they won't say it because it will hurt peoples feelings. I can't wait until they make fat people stand outside and eat because it will be illegal for fat people to eat inside, just like smoking outside. Or if you see a fat person eating fried chicken you can call the cops and have them arrested for not eating salad and being unhealthy. (When I came back to proof read I got this vision of the invasion of the body snatchers dude pointing and screaming at a fat lady eating fried chicken)

I know this all sounds crazy and I know smoking is bad and that being fat only effects the person who is fat unlike second hand smoke, although I have never seen a thin child with a fat parent. I know I need to quit smoking and in fact I have cut way down. It's not that I even get anything out of smoking it's how I feel when I am not smoking is why I continue to do it. Probably why fat people continue to stuff their faces with twinkies knowing they are 200 pounds overweight.

Back