• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

air conditioning problem

my 17000 mile 93 all of a sudden the a/c worked fine yesterday....now the only time it will work is if the temp control on the left is on the coldest setting and the fan control on the right is on auto...and then it only blows on high...the a/c is ice cold just no control over ttemp or fan speed....if you move the knobs from where it will work...it shuts off and then when you put it back to coldest and auto it is quiet for maybe 20 seconds and then it comes on full speed cold you guys have any ideas???? thanks mike

Mike -

Please review these posts:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26532

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20134

I replaced all the caps on the board but still didn't fix the problem. Under a microscope, some of the runs were corroded by the leakage of the caps. The runs were just too small for me to fix with the equipment I have. There are placed to send the control unit to have repaired or just by a new unit and it should last another 10 years or so.

so you guys...your ac did still blow cold...just no control over the fan speed or temp right....you said you replaced the entire board what do you think about having a shop rebuild it for ..i think the guy said $85....anywhere in south florida that does that or what kind of shop could do that?? thanks for the help mike

I've got the same thing on my X but some days it works like normal but most days its either on full blast or not on at all,

I have the same problem with my 92 NSX. It only blows on auto and no control over the temperature. I checked out the link provided above and saw that it was a defect for years 91 and 92 and instructed to change or replace the capacitors.

I went to a mechanic who was familiar with NSX-- he primarily has worked on Hondas and Acuras his whole life. I showed him the paper about the defect in the A/C and said that it needs a transistor to make the A/C and Heater work properly.

He said the transistor cost $249 and he would charge no labor because at the time I was also having a new cluth and my timing belt replaced.

Anyhow when it was all finished. I went to go pick it up, they told me that they replaced , or added a transistor (i am by no means a mechanic) but it still does the same thing. Basically I lost $249 for nothing.

Acura should replace or fix this problem since it's a defect.
Not fair..:confused:

Had the same problem with mine (only blows on high).

Tried swapping known good transistors and new blower, still same problem so figured it must be the control board.

Checked her on prime and many folks sent theirs into:
Gerhard Langguth @
Langguth Electronics
711 East Parkway Dr
Russelville, AR 72801
479-967-0873

He replaces the caps and fixes any traces. $100 bucks and everything works now.

mikesz58 said:
so you guys...your ac did still blow cold...just no control over the fan speed or temp right....you said you replaced the entire board what do you think about having a shop rebuild it for ..i think the guy said $85....anywhere in south florida that does that or what kind of shop could do that?? thanks for the help mike

Mike, I think I can help you out with your head unit,I am going to pm you my contact info.I have fixed several bugged out a/c units.I see you got the transister (good even though you cant see it yet, lets get your head unit up to snuff and if its still an issue it will require the blower as well.BTW the blower-transister issue is one that I feel expedites failure of the main board in addition to the leaky caps.anyway I am going to pm you my contact Info and should be able to get you on the path. FINAL NOTE:
I am not solicating for business(I have more then a full plate believe that)I was so fed up with the official Acura response to a/c repair that I help people (time permiting) iron out the bugs. often I will send out a board I have worked on exchange for the bad core. and its not worth charging for the 2 bucks or so in caps.labor of love.if you live in florida you would know why I get so (steamed) about this problem.it is so pervasive I think Acura should still goodwill all the way back to 91,shitty design of the board and oe componants are sub par,you would think it was a goverment contract the boards are so bad.balls in your court if you want some free assistince but like I said time permitting,I am very busy with go fast stuff mostly

Back