• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Air Horns

Decided that I had to have more horn than comes stock, and after looking at the other arrangements that some of the NSX'ers have done, I decided that I was too old, too lazy, and too thin skinned to start groping around inside the grill opening. (Us old guys bleed easy and heal slow...)
Looking at the wiring diagram, I saw that the horn inside the hood is wired in and sounds any time the other two behind-the-grill horns sound, so decided that I would tap into that for the solenoid actuator.
I bought a simple and cheap two horn system off ebay for about $20, stuck the smaller of the two horns along the top of the radiator. It is small enough to clear the hood prop rod. The other horn points straight down, both horns are attached via the radiator mounting bolts. Since they are not heavy, figured it would not stress anything.
Mounted the compressor via a 1" x 1/8" piece of aluminum stock from Lowes, put a little S bend in either end of it and attached it using the bolt that holds on some piece of electrical apparatus near the right fender well, check the pictures, I managed to draw a shaky red line around them and the fuse holder by the battery.
The solenoid is also attached to one of the radiator mounting bolts, all those attachments used thick plumbing strap doubled over. (Would have gone high-tech and used aftermarket radio mounting strap, but I didn't have any...)
Power to the solenoid was easier than I expected, the clamp bolt on the Optima battery is long enough to slip a wire lug end over the bolt and run down an extra nut to secure it, and I put the fuse close to the battery, check the picture.
The solenoid is activated by the horn under the hood on the right fender, the yellow and green wire is the one that supplies 12V to the solenoid, that is the one to tie into, there is a picture of that also.
Turned out to be a very easy mod, and unless the stock horn fuse blows, it keeps all the stock horns functional and adds the air horns along with them, and the net effect of all 5 horns is most satisfying. The only extra electrical load on the stock fuse system would be the solenoid. When I got it to work for the first time and tried it out, the Good Looking Old Poop paged me on the intercom, said she jumped when I hit it, and she was upstairs in the dining room!

Attachments

• P1130102 (Large).jpg
    P1130102 (Large).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 100
  • P1130103 (Large).jpg
    P1130103 (Large).jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 90
  • P1130119 (Large).jpg
    P1130119 (Large).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 70
Interesting location choices. I have mine along the firewall.

fiamm_horns.jpg

I have the hella triple horn kit, and arranged them along the driver-side shock tower, near the spare bracket (and pointing down).

I don't have a spare tire, so I wasn't worried about the horns being damaged by one moving around.

I wonder how effective they are in that location, also, they will be subject to heat from the radiator. You might want to consider moving the horns lower, the installation guide suggests an area low, with the horns forward-pointing. I used zip ties to effectively hold mine in place, no drilling or brackets were required... I would post a pic if I had one, but the car is in the shop ATM.

Back