• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alignment settings?

Just fitted Tein RAs to my stock 92 and dropped her about 1.5 inches. The ride is great but I need to have the alignment done so can anybody suggest the optimum settings for road use and reduced tire wear.

After speaking with several NSX alignment experts, I've heard mixed things about the practical advantage of keeping a real aggressive toe setting.

Most experts I've spoken with agree that aggressive toe doesn't really add that much to overall performance to the NSX and unless one is a top driver one won't really extract the most from an agressive toe setting.

That being said, the consensus among the NSX experts I've spoken with is that it is more practical to reduce the toe and take the benefit of longer tire life. I was told a good compromise is to adjust the toe to the least aggressive end of the "acceptable" range the alignment machine provides.

Zero toe is a little extreme, but most of the techs I spoke with say there is nothing really wrong with keeping a zero toe setting if one desires. I've heard tales of rear tires lasting 25,000 miles with a zero toe setting.

A disadvantage I've found is the loss of grip when attempting to power trough corners. This could be due in combination of more than 2 degrees of camber and zero toe. Though power is not supposed to be applied through corners; this is speaking of an above mild acceleration.

Take a look at Track Talk on Prime under the thread headings: " Track Alignment" and "For those using Toyo RA-1 track tire". A lot of great info concerning alignment in these discussions.

Bob

I am also getting my alignment done this month too. I lowered mine about 2" front and back with Racing Spec Damper. I'll find out what my guy suggest then. He did a great job on my Benz which is also lowered on 19."

NSX1.jpg

There is information in the FAQ's I believe about alternative settings for the wheels (search alignment I gather). I have a 92 and used that information for the same reasons (I don't have the final numbers I used with me and note my car is at stock height). For starters you should at least go with the 94 and up settings as there were documented issues with tire wear on the 91-93 I believe, due primarily to the toe settings mentioned. Toe really does a job on your tires but increases stability at high speeds as I understand it. I haven't noticed anywhere so far and it still outhandles my Hyundai. Of course I wouldn't want to discourage a purist from keeping the aggressive alignment specs of the earliers years. To each there own. Good Luck.

Back