• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

All New Intercooled Sc

I really do not think that would work but, I guess it could. The bypass valve is a mechanical butterfly type and are far slower to close than a typical BOV for a turbo setup. They are vacuum actuated to open when the engine is under vacuum and close when under load, just the oposite of a BOV. The twin screw blower is compressing air anytime it is in motion while the turbo or centrifical blower only compresses air as the impeller speeds are increased above a certain point, so the bypass has to be able to remove the un-needed air when the throttle is closed or when the engine is operating at light loads. Recirculating the un-needed air back to the input side of the blower reduces the pumping effect of the blower. In turbo terms it works more like the wastgate on the exhaust side of the turbo than the BOV.

I hope that all made since, if not I am sure someone else will chime in with more detail.

Dave

I see but it looks like it can still be routed out to the atomosphere? like a centrifugal superchargers?....I just miss being turbo thats all.

Someone brought to my attention the date on the photos. The date on the photos is not correct. Comptech did not make the Auto-Rotor air inlet back then. Thanks

Well most of the welding is complete. I found someone locally who is a retired welder and currently does side jobs. He welds intake manifolds for an aftermarket company. He charged me $100.00 to weld this complete. I felt like I got the bargain of the century. I did a test fit last night and it fit like a glove. I need to machine the top just a little to get it smooth.

Last edited:
So who needs Comptech when you have Prime Members :)

I'd love to see the end results as I was already debating to use a Twin Screw SC from Comptech or some sorts, but with a larger blower and pulley combo.

Great work!
Deff subscribing :)

It looks great. Love the cooler.
One question why use the older blower? With the lower temp and flow of the AutoRotor?

It looks great. Love the cooler.
One question why use the older blower? With the lower temp and flow of the AutoRotor?

This is the newest Whipple Charger and it’s a 2.3L so it's larger that the Auto Rotor. I will run it at about 16 to 19 PSI

Don’t get me wrong the new Comptech Auto Rotor is very nice and unless you build a high boost motor it should be all you need.

Ken,
I see my problem, and why I haven't been able to make much progress on a IC - I don't have a proper blue chair to work on!!:biggrin: Seriously, excellent work on a problem that should have been addressed (and included) a long time ago by Comptech w/their package. Just as Honda has sat too long on the design (spelled performance!!) of the NSX, Comptech is giving the market away to proper innovators!!

you think you will ever have this for the market?

I asked one of my employees who did most of the work he said he would build some but the order needs to be big enough.

Any numbers yet for performance?

Well last night was the big night. I started the car up. Good news no leaks and it idles very nice. I most likely will need to build a tensioner pulley I have all the parts just more time. Every time I rev the engine I see the belt rise up slightly. I am charging the battery, topping off all fluids and bleeding the cooler system of air and so on. Then its clean up I need to route a few things differently for a cleaner look. I will post so photo's of the finished setup very soon.

Has anyone ever heard of a split holding tank for the NSX? That would be the coolant tank in the engine compartment divided into two fluid holding areas?

Excellent work Ken, anxious to see your performance "appraisal" :smile: I still got to get me one of those blue chairs so I can do this also!:tongue:

I believe someone on the forum had said that Dali offers some sort of dual fluid container. (Just passing on a rumor - don't ya know?)

Well last night was the big night. I started the car up. Good news no leaks and it idles very nice. I most likely will need to build a tensioner pulley I have all the parts just more time. Every time I rev the engine I see the belt rise up slightly.

I used the Comptech tensioner, I still need to run 150% of the tension Comptech recommends or I throw the belt. This is with an idler and a set of flanges on the blower pulley that stand 4mm tall. I had the belt 'walk' one rib on the track on Sunday after a hard up shift from 3rd to 4th, car is making about 9-10 lbs boost. When the belt moves at all, it shears that side of the belt off because it runs into the alternator. I think my problem is the idler pulley I have is a single row bearing design and at high boost, high RPM and the shock of a hard shift the pulley can wobble slightly. I am going to replace it with a double row bearing and see if that corrects the issue.

Keep the reports coming!

Relative to your "constructing" employee's statement, that he might consider building "replicas" of your excellent design, if there was a big enough order (market) for same, what would the definition of "big enough" be?:biggrin: I am in marketing and would say that the way to approach this issue would be to put together a group buy (with deposits) that would return deposits if required group could not be put together. However, assuming the proper group could be assembled, the deposits would fuel the materials costs etc. Just an idea off the top of my head, don't ya know!:tongue: Project a market cost/sell cost and Poll the Market!! Works in the Free Enterprise System!! Ain't it Grand!!!:rolleyes:

Relative to your "constructing" employee's statement, that he might consider building "replicas" of your excellent design, if there was a big enough order (market) for same, what would the definition of "big enough" be?:biggrin: I am in marketing and would say that the way to approach this issue would be to put together a group buy (with deposits) that would return deposits if required group could not be put together. However, assuming the proper group could be assembled, the deposits would fuel the materials costs etc. Just an idea off the top of my head, don't ya know!:tongue: Project a market cost/sell cost and Poll the Market!! Works in the Free Enterprise System!! Ain't it Grand!!!:rolleyes:

All good ideas but with this system you need an exchange program for the intake. The only people with a forged intake (to my knowledge) for the SC right now is CT and they were and maybe still might be making an AutoRotor kit. Last time I called it was still a few months out?

I’m not in the automotive manufacturing. I stated once before if some one once to reproduce these I have all the templates. I will give them to someone for reproduction as long as they are going to make them available to the NSX community.
Also you do not need to cut your Comptech intake use your stock intake.
If you look on the forms you will see someone else who made a new intake and machined new runners if you could get a AutoCad drawing of the runners and combind these you would have the altimate package.
Thanks

I wanted to post some photos of the finished Intercooled SC all is left is tuning now. I think I found a tuner on the east coast that’s only a few hours away so now I need to get on his schedule.

I wanted to post some photos of the finished Intercooled SC all is left is tuning now. I think I found a tuner on the east coast that’s only a few hours away so now I need to get on his schedule.

Hi Ken,

Where did you get the carbon fiber injector covers sitting right below the whipple supercharger that you have there?

Thats a very clean carbon fiber piece...

-Andy

Ken... Are you going to be using in AEM or staying OBDII compliant and use a Piggyback or Signal Scaler of some sorts?

Back