• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alternate Shallow Subwoofers?

Hi all,
I have Zetoolman's V3 shallow sub box with the Earthquake SWS 10" in it, powered by an Alpine PDX 150.4. I know that at the time it was the best 10" for the box, but I've noticed now that more manufacturers have come out with shallow subs and was wondering if there are any newer options out there that anyone's seen or tried that would give a bit more kick to the low end? Some examples are shown on this link below (Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, RE, etc):
http://www.motorator.com/blog/mobile-audio-electronics/shallow-mount-subwoofers

Thanks.

What you need to pay attention to is what the recommended airspace is for the newer sub. If I remember correctly the Z3 has around .35 cubic foot which is usually too small to be effective with other alternatives.

Last edited:
i just put a pair of ts-sw1001 premier woofers in an avalanche 2 days ago using a pdx600 and its sounded great. we use them all the time and i had the 8" in my car and loved it. 300 rms and anywhere from .35 to .7 for the enclosure.

we have the memphis shallow mount but i haven't had the opportunity to listen to it yet.

The enclosure that I do has .49 cubes , this opens up way more choices for woofers . It also makes the SWS 10" sound better.

Thanks for the replies.

Spider - are you going to setup that memphis shallow sub soon?

angus - i've seen your new box thread, i just want to hear the setup in someone's car locally and i might be game for that too....

Spyder what did you pay for that sub (if you don't mind me asking). Did you put it in the factory box or did you buy (or make) an enclosure.

I going to be trying something with those thin JL's sometime next year. I have to have a talk with my stereo shop before anything is final but Im looking to put one behind each seat with a custom box. Ill post some pix when its done. If they can pull it off of course.

we're a dealer so i didn't pay retail obviously.

i just fabbed out a glass enclosure between cars one day for the 8". i used the ts-sw1008(sub), tsd-720c (doors) powered by a PDX-4.100 and the little 8" was plenty for me(no rap).

Re: Alternate Shallow Sub woofers?

I tried other shallow subs and the SWS was the best. Most of the other new ones are to wide to fit, not a true 10" and you need to watch out for the depth.

I am looking to offer the sub retooled with a flat face done in fiberglass as it is stronger. The problem with an MDF front is the problem of a permanent bond. Especially with the pressure created by a sub. The other fiberglass box that was offered was made so thin that the speaker would pop due to the flex the enclosure would have due to the pressure.

If I retool the V3 with a flat front it will be rock solid and PERMANENT!! Would not want to loose the front of my enclosure down the road!

This should fit a shallow 12" as well. But, once you flatten it out, grilling it is an issue?

Re: Alternate Shallow Sub woofers?

I am looking to offer the sub retooled with a flat face done in fiberglass as it is stronger. The problem with an MDF front is the problem of a permanent bond. Especially with the pressure created by a sub. The other fiberglass box that was offered was made so thin that the speaker would pop due to the flex the enclosure would have due to the pressure.QUOTE]

My enclosure has an MDF front that will not ever come loose , I have built boxes like this since early 1998 , I have the proper materials and techniques to ensure it will not separate - in fact - I GAURANTEE it 100% . I have tried to separate the front , the only way is to destroy the wood!

My enclosure is made from vacuum molded hi-density fiberglass , not even remotely thin , this is light yet incredibly strong and rigid , I could easily park an SUV on the box no problem.

The V3 is a great product , I just made what I think is optimal (or as close as possible)

Last edited:
Back