• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alternator Charge Rate

Got a question for the electronic experts.

If I had the car idling, with or without the headlight on, does the alternator provide enough power to support the usage and also charging the battery?

Thx.

Got a question for the electronic experts.

If I had the car idling, with or without the headlight on, does the alternator provide enough power to support the usage and also charging the battery?

Thx.

Yes .... im sure when they build a car they figure out what the full load of the cars electrical system is and make a alternator which can provide enough current to sustain it.

At idle, the NSX alternator puts out about 10 amps. At 2000 rpm, it goes up to about 60 amps. At 4000, it tops out at about 95 amps and stays there up to 8000 rpm.

Theoretically it does. But if you try to disconnect the battery with the car running it will stall.

Never disconnect the battery with the car running. The battery not only stores energy, it acts as a giant filter capacitor to turn the full-rectified sine wave output of the alternator into DC. Removing the battery won't necessarily damage your electronics every time, but the potential for it to happen is there.

At idle, the NSX alternator puts out about 10 amps. At 2000 rpm, it goes up to about 60 amps. At 4000, it tops out at about 95 amps and stays there up to 8000 rpm.

How would the regulator control the recharge rate to the battery? I believe there is logic in the charge system to prevent over charging the battery.

If there is a load on the alternator disconnecting the battery will spike the alternator. It can go up to about 60 volts for an instant. The diodes in the rectifier are probably 20 volt diodes. You will blow out a diode. There is a feedback loop in the alternator/regulator that identifies the load and causes the alternator to charge. If you suddenly remove the load the alternator will still be charging for a moment.

The other sure way to kill the alternator is to short the output lead.

Please don't disconnect the battery from a running engine. If you do I rebuild and sell alternators.

Dave

Back