• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alternator rebuilt and powder coating.

Hey guys,
Since my car is down and out of comission for a while, I decided to take the alternator apart, rebuilt it and powder coated.

(This is not a rubuilt alternator DIY) I took the pictures for my own reference, but since I have them I might as well post them.

I will update this thread when I get the alternator back from Brightside.

First we got the alternator,

DSC05166.jpg

Then I removed the alumimun shell and this is what you have.
DSC05167.jpg

Make sure you know where everything is coming off from.

DSC05172.jpg

After removing sensors and brushes from the top, crack it open, remove the bolts from the bottom that hold the bearing inside and press the bearing out.

DSC05179.jpg

The alternator all apart.
DSC05184.jpg

I stole this silver thing from the kitchen, added some diesel and gave everything a good clean, it needed it.
DSC05186.jpg

here are the pieces all cleand up:

DSC05188.jpg

If you any questions let me know.

But I have one first, I beleave this are the "brushes" right?, where can I get a kit to rebuilt the alternator?
DSC05193.jpg

Thanks,

-MSR

Few guys had theirs polished already, and want it a little more low key.
I am having the valve covers done too, and when I make the strut bar I want them to flow together.

I actually don't know what color we will be coating them yet.

-MSR

^^I agree don't go with chrome. That belongs in the past on muscle cars. It's like putting plastic on your couch; it just doesn't flow well with modern design. As for the brushes the last alternator I rebuilt was on a Toyota and you could get the brushes straight from the dealer. There were two of them, around $10 each and they had them in stock.

How hard was it to remove the alternator? and what kind of tools did you need? How long does it take to pull out and pulling it apart is there any do's and don'ts when taking it apart? thanks.

I rebuild these alternators for the Acura Legend forum members. I have the pieces you need if you can't find them locally. I would suggest you use Denso bearings. Make sure you dress the slip-rings. You will need a three-jaw puller to get the rear bearing off.

Dave

How hard was it to remove the alternator? and what kind of tools did you need? How long does it take to pull out and pulling it apart is there any do's and don'ts when taking it apart? thanks.

Hey Dave what do you mean by dressing the slip-rings?

Thank you guys.

-MSR

By dressing the sliprings I mean to take some emery cloth and holding it on the sliprings as you rotate the rotor. Finish off with 2000 grit. The brush assembly comes complete like yours. If you look carefully at both sides of the brush holder one side is flat and the other had a small step in it. The flat side goes down against the orange insulator. There should have been a gray hood that was likely stuck to the back cover.

You said you wanted to powder coat the alternator. I would not powdercoat the stator housing. The heat from baking the powder could melt the insulation on the stator wires. It would look good but possibly short the stator. You would have to do a good masking job on the rear cover as there are several ground points on that housing.

Dave

Last edited:
Back