• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

am i alone??

i just want to know if i am in the minority here...i have owned my nsx for 6 years and have averaged about 200 miles per year on it....before you start rolling your eyes let me explain...6 years ago my oldest daughter would have 7 and my other daughter 4...with that being said i hope people here can relate to how your "free time" on the weekends turn out with two young kids and no backseats in the car...i also am truly blessed that i work around the corner to my house...it makes me a little uncomfortable to park my car in my parking lot in my reserved spot so that my patients who are mostly from my neighborhood can walk by and see as they are all in different financial positions than me...(do i need to be that guy)....let alone already miserable and in pain that is why they are coming to me..on most days i take my pathfinder to work and when my patients say nice car doc...i proudly say that car is not mine but my staffs....they all have generous husbands...

I also live in the northeast...the car has never been in the rain or any debris on the road...she goes away right before all the leaves and debris fall from the trees...she also get washed each and every time used by me by hand...(therapy for me),,,,my neighbor says the nsx is his screen saver on his computer and one day he hopes to replace his modified integra...wants mine...

personally i do not drink any alcohol (personal choice), so when my wife makes plans to go out socially guess who gets to drive???? so what car do we not take...also dont want to be a tool and say i will meet you at the place so i can just drive my car...(weather, place and parking situation all get taken into consideration) obviously never been valet...seen ferris bueller and i used to valet park as kid as well...pay to park my self up front usually next to italian and german exotics...my standard line is with all these cars here mine is paid for lol!!

so with all that backround, am i alone in how i treat my car..no rain, no debris,washed all the time and no mileage........just the fact that i know i have it and own it puts a smile on my face...just want to know anyone else like me (please let there be one)....my wife and i have three other cars to use that are more practical...(lexus gs350 awd, m3 hardtop conv. and old betsy pathfinder....all are white including nsx)..hopefully someone can relate?????

there are alot of people as anal but your not alone. but when you die ( a long long time from now ) you will think man I should have had more fun with the car, like all the other guys that have high mileage.

the car is so fun to drive your really missing out. not driving in the rain etc. thats insanely anal. its a car, they put windows on the car so you will not get wet if it rains.

its your car, and when your not on this earth your fellow family members will sell the car off in a heartbeat. the car mean nothing to them. so all the worring about road debri, and rain was for nothing.

go drive your car and have some fun. like all the rest of us.

I would rather have a high mileage NSX than one that has rotted away in a garage all it life old oil, old coolant, old hoses, timing belt can snap at any moment etc.

not tring to be mean just the facts.

post some pics

I think there are a lot of folks that have NSX's or other special cars that they enjoy like you do - and I say "to each his own" - nothing wrong with that. The previous owner of mine was like that - original owner of the 01 and put 11k miles on it when I bought it a year ago. Never took it out if there was even a 10% chance of rain. For him (and his wife) the NSX was almost like a piece of art that they got pleasure from just knowing they owned it, and were able to enjoy it when they wanted, and how they wanted. He had no regrets.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle - take the very best care of the car, but not reluctant to drive it whenever I want. No, I don't daily drive to work (awful traffic commute) but I do drive it at a minimum twice a week somewhere. One thing I don't do is ever apologize or feel guilt about owning the car. If friends, relatives, clients see the car and pay a compliment, I simply say "Thank You" -- and most of them know (or I will explain) that I am a "car guy" and have been one all of my life. There are far worse vices to have! And its ok if they see me as successful, and responsible with my life and finances.

So I say continue to enjoy your NSX the way that makes you happy - and I suspect there are lots of fellow auto enthusiasts that are just like you. And, should you ever decide to let her go, it will be the easiest sale you've ever made. Clean, pristine, low mileage, no story, stock NSX's are only getting harder and harder to find. Cheers and happy motoring! Jay

hopefully this season..i will use it more even if i drove daily to work it truly is 1/10 of mile to my office...and that is taking the long way..i am truly spoiled.....but yet deprived with not being able to enjoy the drive....just happy to hear i am not truly out of my mind...lol....and you are right will be very easy to sell.. cant remember how many times paper or biz cards left on window if interested in selling to call...

I also live in the northeast

Where is the NE are you and, what type of medicine do you practice?

If you don't belong, you should consider joining the NSXCA-NE.
See this thread here.
You are not alone.

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

of course you are not alone....I use my car for the rare track event..like kids day at the glen(hope it happens this year).....and some club drives(nsxca)......it otherwise sits on a battery tender.....I have 5&8 yo's......the car is whatever you want it to be.....beit transportation-furniture-jewlery...ect......if polishing it every so often is good therapy than keep refilling...

Last edited:
You need to drive it. Enjoy the car for what it is. It's nice to look at but the best part of owning an NSX is driving one. Your only going to make the next owner happy to find a low mileage well kept car. Why have it if your not going to drive it. Investment wise your not losing mutch.

Your not alone but drive it a bit more than that. Go on some drives with the local guys.

If I subtract the 1500 miles for my maiden voyage, I've averaged around 1300 miles per year.
We take it out and enjoy it. It would be fun to get it out on a track day... use it like it was designed.
I meet up with other car guys at the local coffee and cruise and there are a few more NSX owners in the area, so we plan to hook up more I believe.
I drive it to shows and on nice days.
For me driving it to and from work isn't something I want to do... I can't really drive it as designed in commuter traffic & I have to park in a parking garage downtown where who knows who will park next to me and slam my doors etc. For me my daily driver works fantastic for that... even then I don't like receiving door dings.
If I'm out and it rains, oh well. But if it is raining I would normally drive one of our other cars.
AND a BIG factor for me not driving more, is our location. If I lived down south like, FL, CA, AZ, TX, etc... I'd be driving it way more. But once the 1st snow hits and they put down the sand/gravel & chemicals it get's parked and rests for the winter... unless there is a nice day and the roads aren't too bad, it may escape into the wild for a short period of time.
If I lived in year round fair weather and could park it where I felt it had less chance of getting banged up I'd drive it much more often.
I do have a friend who has a 72 Chevelle Convertible that was his mom's car (she passed away when he was fairly young). He has had a frame up restoration done on it and use to drive it maybe 300 miles per year. The past few years not at all... but to him the car has loads of sentimental value. It is an incredibly beautiful car.

We all enjoy them differently.... If I had enough $$$ and could talk myself into justifying it, I would like to have a higher mileage NSX that I wouldn't mind just driving everywhere... even in the snow... like at least one of our Canadian members has said.. he drives it, it is aluminum.... but I still see all that nasty corrosive stuff they put down on the roads around here... and I TOO get my therapy by detailing the car and keeping it clean. It is a much easier process if I drive it fair weather.

Ramblin Rod over and out... sorry, I ran long on this one.

I grew up with a Dad like the OP. He always had a nice car but would never drive them. He bought brand new cars and sold them 2 or 3 years later with less than 2k or 3k miles.
How did this impact my NSX ownership? As long as it's nice outside.....I drive it....TARGA OFF....and now with my son's right next to me! I live on LI and still average about 5,000 miles a year.

Last edited:
To each his own I always say. I nearly crashed on a motorcycle once and let it sit for a year. It was so beautiful I wanted to just mount it on a wall and keep it.

...that said, 200 per year is pretty low to me. If you still love it, than listen to yourself and no one else. If you concerned (which it sounds like you may be), drive it. I hear you about going out with the wife. I will admit that although I am very careful where I park, I do sometimes parallel park with it an pray. I have been lucky so far. I alway hope people see a nice car and will be careful not to harm it. They are less likely with exotics I think, the Benz carries that "I'm better than you stigma" and it much more likely to be bumped into.

I sold my last NSX I sold with 120k miles and it's still running like a top (me and that owner have become friends...). I bought a garage queen with 46k miles since but I will put minimum 5k per year on it. I baby it as far as no show, almost no rain, 110% maintenance and very unlikely for it to stay outside over night, but I like to drive...

I'll consider the low post count since 06 tells me your a busy man with family/practice ect. So kudos to you for that. I think if I drove mine as a daily, I would eventually tire from it. Occasional trips to the store/gym, a cruise from time to time keeps the driving experience fun. I've put 28,000 in 5 years and enjoyed every mile of it.

I think it is pretty common, you see low mile cars pop up for sale often. Mine is now 22 yrs old and it averages 900 miles a yr
I am not saying it is right or wrong but to each their own.

Last edited:
The previous owners of my NSX were like you; they babied the car, kept it low mileage, and drove it only under the best conditions. I think they had the most enjoyment of their car simply by owning it and seeing it and knowing it was theirs. Ultimately though, they sold it of course and I feel like I'm the one who really got to enjoy it. For the first 18 years of this NSX's life, it was being cared for and babied while it was waiting for me.

You're not going to live forever. Either you're going to drive it and fully experience it, or the next owner will.

Doc, I can assure you that you're FAR from alone. This topic has been "discussed" innumerable times. Your car, bought with your money--to do with as YOU SEE FIT:tongue: Enjoy your artwork; I do :wink: All the best

just the fact that i know i have it and own it puts a smile on my face

thats all that really matters :)

the only thing i could suggest is occasionally just going out for a drive, with no specific destination but just to drive it and enjoy it. all you have to do is find time

my motorcycle sometimes sits for months on end, even in the spring and fall, due to not having time to ride it. but every time i do ride it i enjoy the hell out of it and thats what matters the most and is why i own one.

I can understand your trepidation about putting mileage on your car, I was the exact opposite of your situation. I bought my '94 13yrs ago with 6000 miles on it with the intention of using it as my DD. I commuted to work and put an average of 10-15k miles on it for the first few years and I now have 79k miles on it. I've probably only put 500 miles a year on it the past few years, but I got great enjoyment racking up the miles those first few years. Living in S. Florida does make it more conducive to drive the car a lot, however with 6mo old twins I don't think I'll be driving the car much for the hext few years.

If you decide to keep it as it is, so be it. If you get a bug up your a$$ one day and decide to put a few miles on it, it won't hurt the car one bit. I know my patients like to see my NSX parked in the lot those tow or three tmes year i drive it to the office. The best part is that they are amazed that I own a 19yr old Acura when they assume that it is a newer Ferrari.

Last edited:
Not alone for sure. Everyday nsx will def make me think of buying something else for that funday drive and of course will never sell x. For some reason, I cannot get enough of motorcycle and no commute.

Last edited:
So many great replies.

I have a problem keeping mileage down.

Agreed. I have had mine less than a year and already put about 5k miles on it. Almost time for the 2nd new set of rear tires...

To each, their own. Just use the car anyway YOU want. It really does not matter what anyone thinks. You worked hard for the car and deserve it. Have as much fun with the car as you want, drive it was much as you want. In regards to your patients, I have not had the experience that they have negative feelings about our successes in life. (I am also a physician).
P.S. We can discuss my fee for this brief therapy session! LOL
Just enjoy.

I have two boys (7 and 5) and just had my third. I usually put less than 1000 miles on my NSX every year. With the new baby it'll probably be less this year. I had a deal with myself that I would drive my bicycle one mile for every mile I put on the car and so far I've been putting more miles on the bike. I'd like to drive mine more but, like you, I don't really have the time. Where in New York are you from?

I am always a bit puzzled when people say they "don't have the time to drive their nsx". I dont understand what that means. Are they not driving any cars ever and walk or take public transportation everywhere? Or is it more a fear/paranoia about driving to work or anyplace else you would take a daily driver. I guess I am in the minority who buys cars that I want to drive and then actually drive them. I have 144k on my nsx including 100+ track days and over 10,000 track miles. I have driven it to NSXPOs in wisconsin, Texas, Ohio, Canada and shipped it to California and Florida for other NSXPOs. I drive it to work, movies, malls, etc. I also have an AMG Mercedes that I love to drive and it has 233k on it now. If I wanted a work of art in my garage I would buy a painting. Although I acknowledge people do like to keep a garage queen with low mileage, to me that is a waste of money.

Just my .02. Your mileage may vary.....

Back